Rancho shocks

tino

good evening everyone ,i bought rancho 5000 series schocks, my question is are they supposed to depress when u press them ,i pulled them out of the box, i pressed them all the way in and it didnt do anything. I got them for $39.99 at carparts.

got the same sh**t happen to me with my rancho rs9000xl...if the 5000 is also a gas filed shock, then they are defective...

dammm!!!!!!!! really ,i new there was something wrong i took the old ones ,and they sure did depress,even thought they were old and expired thats why i was wondering......

seems to be a trend...

does rancho have poor quality control? I been thinking about the rs9000 because I want a soft ride but I wonder who else offers a quality "soft" or ajustable shock for a lifted pathfinder.

seems to be a trend...

does rancho have poor quality control? I been thinking about the rs9000 because I want a soft ride but I wonder who else offers a quality "soft" or ajustable shock for a lifted pathfinder.

The 5000's are not charged. At least the 5000's I just installed tonight were not. They worked just fine once installed.=) I'm very pleased with the rears, and expect I will be when I get time to put the fronts on as well.

The 5000's are not charged. At least the 5000's I just installed tonight were not. They worked just fine once installed.=) I'm very pleased with the rears, and expect I will be when I get time to put the fronts on as well.

what does tha mean veilside? does it mean tha when you push them in they are not supposed to come back out.???????????????????????????? i dont get it

Oil filled shocks do not rebound by themselves, because the are not "charged." They stay wherever you position them, until you or some other force moves them again. Gas filled are charged and thus do return to a preset position when you move them and afaik air filled do the same as gas shocks.

So no, there does not seem to be anything wrong with yours :aok:

Oil filled shocks do not rebound by themselves, because the are not "charged." They stay wherever you position them, until you or some other force moves them again. Gas filled are charged and thus do return to a preset position when you move them and afaik air filled do the same as gas shocks.

So no, there does not seem to be anything wrong with yours :aok:

kool thanks red ,, so what is the benefit of oil charge schocks

Oil charged shocks let the spring do the work of rebounding and gas charged assist in rebounding. many mistakenly think a rough ride or poor handling is caused on the compression side of the stroke when many times it is actually the spiky rebound that makes the ride have a jarring feeling.

Now assuming your springs (coil. torsion or leaf) are in good shape and not sacked- an oil shock will allow greater control of rebound and helps keep the tires in contact with the road (by having slower more precise rebound) on fast chop. Gas charged are theoretically better for aged springs but no company will really admit that since not many want to admit that they should be replacing springs and shocks- not just shocks and at the price point of springs and shocks on an older car with a common owner with a smaller budget- gas shocks are installed to improve the ride on the pavement. Gas shocks can make a worn suspension handle worse on faster bumpy roads, but work well on the street. KYB is one of the only ones that will sort of admit that gas charged shocks are menat for older vehicles as a replacement shock- but you have to read in to it on thierr website.

My truck has OG springs and KYB GasAdjust. Rides great down the highway but gets real rough on bumpy pavement and off road at speed. I just brought my truck with 163k and am still not decided about where I am going/what I am going to spend on it yet. I am still leaning towards dalily driver with limited off road (mainly to get to trailhead to go MTB) so might just get new torsions, all new ball joints etc and re arch the rear springs for compliance and install some nice Ranchos.

Oil charged shocks let the spring do the work of rebounding and gas charged assist in rebounding. many mistakenly think a rough ride or poor handling is caused on the compression side of the stroke when many times it is actually the spiky rebound that makes the ride have a jarring feeling.

Now assuming your springs (coil. torsion or leaf) are in good shape and not sacked- an oil shock will allow greater control of rebound and helps keep the tires in contact with the road (by having slower more precise rebound) on fast chop. Gas charged are theoretically better for aged springs but no company will really admit that since not many want to admit that they should be replacing springs and shocks- not just shocks and at the price point of springs and shocks on an older car with a common owner with a smaller budget- gas shocks are installed to improve the ride on the pavement. Gas shocks can make a worn suspension handle worse on faster bumpy roads, but work well on the street. KYB is one of the only ones that will sort of admit that gas charged shocks are menat for older vehicles as a replacement shock- but you have to read in to it on thierr website.

My truck has OG springs and KYB GasAdjust. Rides great down the highway but gets real rough on bumpy pavement and off road at speed. I just brought my truck with 163k and am still not decided about where I am going/what I am going to spend on it yet. I am still leaning towards dalily driver with limited off road (mainly to get to trailhead to go MTB) so might just get new torsions, all new ball joints etc and re arch the rear springs for compliance and install some nice Ranchos.

AWESOME THANKS FOR THE INFO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

just pulled my front RS5000's off (doing CV install) and they're oil filled I do believe and they remain in the same position...I'm going to try to swap them out before too long though since I still have receipts and they're like 9 years old...

If what you are saying is correct [and I don't doubt that it is] you've got me confused. I'm confused because all high performance cars and modern cars that I can think of have gas and not oil shocks. If oil shocks provided better control of rebound, why would so much research and development go into gas and not oil shocks and then find their way on modern vehicles? Also, from what I understand offroad racers use gas shocks too as do those with heavy loads. So again, why go gas and not remain with oil. Please do not think I'm suggesting for a moment that you're wrong, I'm trying to understand the concept of oil v. gas [and vs. foamcell] more. This is because my old Range Rover Classic came with oil shocks. This gave the best ride of any 4x4 i've owned. I swapped the old tired suspension for new springs and oil shocks and thought it great with the exception of when I was towing. I thought the suspension lacked control. I then went to a LandCruiser [coil not cart sprung] and thought it's ride was aweful. Swapped that for new suspension with foamcell shocks and to me the ride was as good with oil shocks but much better than oil shocks when towing. Then I went to a Patrol. Same rubbish ride. Swapped the spring and shocks [this time to gas charged] and thought the ride was the most harsh at normal road speeds but best over rough roads [contradicting your suggestion of oil shocks]. Now I own a Shogun and again went for gas charged shocks which whilst better than those I had on the Patrol still are not as good as the FoamCell shocks I had on the LandCruiser. So next time I do a suspension swap [this time on my Pathy] I'll definitely go for foamcell again. So given my experience, if you could explain a little more behind the theory of oil v gas [and if possible foamcell too] then I'd certainly appreciate it as I always like to gain new knowledge.

Thanks!

Harv.

I've used Ranchos and KYB's and never noticed much difference. 'Course, I don't really give half a crap how it rides as long as I can go places nobody else can. ;) RS9000's really can make a big difference if you adjust them really stiff or really soft.