front lift

tyrhine

ok so after I put my new UCA's and cranked new tbars up my tires sit like \----/ is that a ball joint issue? and is a camber ajdustment hard? or is this a bigger issue then a simple camber ajdustment.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's one of the known issues with AC Arms, difficulty getting the alignment correct because that do not compensate for ball joint angles.

By your "\---/" description, it looks like the tops of the tires lean outward. So shims behind the upper control arms (between them and the frame) need to be removed. You can do it yourself to get it "close" or just let a shop do it during an alignment job.

Firestone's Lifetime Alignment is my recommendation, you can find info on it in the "Product reviews" section :aok:

yeah my front end doesn't look even from the rear looks like its a good inch lower. so I wonder if I crank those up a little to see if that goes away. I'll check everything make sure its tights and if that doesn't work I'll check the shims. one more thing, what does the idler arm do? didn't have time to get that in, would that have anything to do with it? and if not what does it do

Edited by tyrhine

one more thing, what does the idler arm do? didn't have time to get that in, would that have anything to do with it? and if not what does it do

No it will not help or harm your current alignment problem

the idler arm stands opposite of your pitman arm (from the steering box) It makes sure your passenger wheel turns just as much as the driver wheel when you turn the wheel.

The Idler arm Brace re-enforces this arm so it does not bend, twist or shear when forces of the offroad (or pothole) try to make one wheel do something differant.

Edited by MY1PATH

Ok so I crank'd my tbars up more which made the prob worse. Then I looked at the bumb stops and my uca's are on them. So ill drop the front end till those. Come off the bumb stops. I hope that should fix the camber

Edited by tyrhine

ok so I took it to firestone to see what they could do. they fix'd the aliment as best they could. but to fix the camber they had to lower the front end to basicly stock hight. so I need to check those shims but I only remember their being only 1 shim on each side. there is also this place call'd eastside trucks I might take it too, to see if they could find out whats going on, because I must be missing something.

they said they couldn't do the alignment because they thought it had frame damage, but they couldn't find it... so they drop'd the tbars all the way and did a eye ball job. the camber is fix'd because the tbars are drop'd to stock hight. so whever I go up with the tbars the camber goes \---/ and its a pain. I'll have to double check to see if they did anything with those shims. I didn't see any frame damage what so ever when I was down there. and it drives fine when the tbars are down so I don't think there is any frame damage I'll take it to a body shop to see if they can find something I guess

Edited by tyrhine

everytime I try and lift it the camber gets worse. I---I is when the the uca's are like 3 inches off the bumb stops. and /--\ when its like a a half to 1 inch off the bumb stops. and I think there is only 1 shim on my right control arm.

Im cambered in with mine. I'm off my lower bump stops about 1 inch. When the front suspension compresses, the top of the tire cambers out then comes back. Thats why I thoght maybe you got the torsion bars misindexed.

Im cambered in with mine. I'm off my lower bump stops about 1 inch. When the front suspension compresses, the top of the tire cambers out then comes back. Thats why I thoght maybe you got the torsion bars misindexed.

hmm what do you mean by misindexed? heh still kinda new

Ok, did you install new torsion bars? If you did, when you took the old ones out, you need to have the suspension unloaded, and the adjusters at full droop. As ;you tighten, you get your lift. I got this wrong the first time by 2 teeth on the torsion bars. I figured this out as I was just hammering on the adjuster bolts. I reindexed them and everything got much easier. Noticed I went too high, then lowered the bars a touch. BAM, got the alignment within spec, cambered in a bit, but Im comfortable with it.

If your cant adjust your bars correctly, you will have all kinds of issues with getting the suspension set up correctly.

yeah when I took it firestone they lowered the tbars a but to fix the camber. so its like the higher I go, the worse the camber gets. so right now the camber it good and drives fine, but it looks like a clown car because my back is higher by like 2 inches. so I just don't understand when ever I tighten my tbars my cambe gets f'd hehe