Exhaust stud tick or lifter tick?

beastpath

I run 10w40 in mine now.

I actually had 5w30 in it, and immediately I had that lifter tick on the freeway. A few weeks ago I changed my oil and put in 10w40 and my tick went away. Still the tap at start up though.

so it looks like its the lifters....

lots of people seem to have this at startup....so....

is this a problem? or just something I have to live with?

given that this is a rebuilt block and heads, should it still have the lifter tap at startup?

There are two differen ticks and taps at start up.

The extremely long one is the manifold tick, and the short quick clack clack is the lifters.

Yes, just about everyone has the lifter tick at start up, and it does NOT hurt a thing. It's just annoying and that's all there is to it. If you have a dead lifter it can cause little problems down the road.

But people also have the manifold tick as well.

Did you ever tighten down the manifold studs to make 100% sure that's not the problem?

yeah i tightened them down a bit and there was no change.

and its only at startup i get the clacking for about 30-60 secs.

Ill try a heavier weight oil and see what that does.

anyone know if the lifters have a check valve for holding pressure and adjustment? My dodge lifters do and the tick is almost nonexistent. As things wear out, the lifters adjust their length and hold it via a rear chamber with a ball check-valve inside it. If there is nothing to hold the lifters at length then you will get tapping as the oil pressure builds and 'inflates' them. maybe I'll tear one apart and take a look. If they do have an adjustment mechanism, it may have failed and a replacement might be needed. Not trying to set-off any alarms telling you to replace your lifters, just thinkign about possible causes for an abnormal tick.

anyone know if the lifters have a check valve for holding pressure and adjustment? My dodge lifters do and the tick is almost nonexistent. As things wear out, the lifters adjust their length and hold it via a rear chamber with a ball check-valve inside it. If there is nothing to hold the lifters at length then you will get tapping as the oil pressure builds and 'inflates' them. maybe I'll tear one apart and take a look. If they do have an adjustment mechanism, it may have failed and a replacement might be needed. Not trying to set-off any alarms telling you to replace your lifters, just thinkign about possible causes for an abnormal tick.

no worries, all advice is really appreciated. if they have failed the parts are covered under warranty (labor isnt though...)

so i was checking out the sound again today. you cant hear anything with the hood closed after shes all warmed up. However with the hood open, messing with throttle the clack/tick comes back.

still a stuck lifter?

btw, when i open up the oil fill cover and look inside what kind of movement should I see?

• 8 months later...