Steering Wheel

180sx

OK, so when I got my pathy, the wheel was straight. Then after going off-road a few times, my steering wheel is not centered when the truck is going straight. How would you fix this? I haven't had time to actually look, but could i disconect the steering shaft and turn the wheel staright and hope when I connect it back its straigh again? Or could this be an even more serious issue with my steering?

Thanks in advance.

Jose

You may not like this answer.......

Pezzy had that happen once, and her subframe was bent to sh!t. Hope that's not your issue.

Otherwise, may be time for an alignment.

Sounds like you need an alignment. Mine did the same thing when I got cut off and hit a curb on the road. It's best to just get it realigned. If you go to Firestone Complete auto Care, the offer a lifetime alignment. Worth the money when you wheel.

Pezzy had that happen once, and her subframe was bent to sh!t

Tendency to transform her skid plate in soup bowls

I read everywhere that pezzy is a great off-road driver...but i'm starting to see a tendency here that she might not be so without some "minor" inconvenients, hahaha...

sans rancunes, pezzy... :tongue:

Edited by fleurys

I read everywhere that pezzy is a great off-road driver...but i'm starting to see a tendency here that she might not be so without some "minor" inconvenients, hahaha...

sans rancunes, pezzy... :tongue:

I said: OH HUSH!!

lol :D

Yeah, the bent subframe was pre-skidplate days. I hit the subframe right where the steering rack mounts, and really fuggered up business... my truck pulled one way, the steering wheel pointed the other way. It wasnt a cheap fix, so I hope that's not your issue 180sx.

If I had skids, I probably would have just made another cereal bowl.

As for the destruction to my truck: It's what I gotta do to haul my lowrider (on AT's) where all the bigger boys play. Beating up on skids and sliders is worth it!! (Not so much if I didnt have the protection).

Allignment is probably your ticket...mine is the same way...I just haven't taken it into a shop yet..you can do it yourself, but it's not exact, more of an estimation. Just a matter of a couple turns on the tie rods. I doubt your subframe is bent unless you've gone balls-out with no skids on some nasty stuff. Mine has been off since I took a nose dive off a small rock cliff...slow, but put alot of weight on the driver's side front and tweaked something...but I had the skid on at the time and that holds everything in place nicely.

Have your truck 4-wheel aligned and have a full suspension inspection performed. Or, crawl around underneath and look for something bent.

When I bent my rear lower link, the steering wheel pointed crooked as well because the truck was actually crab-walking due to the mis-aligned REAR axle.

Something is bent or out of whack. Get it fixed or you're going to be eating up your tires rather quickly.

Thanks for the info everyone.

I looked underneath and everything seems straight. I know I need an alignment, thats for sure. Hell, my whole suspension needs an over haul. 3 blown shocks and one is new becuase the stock one boke the top nut off in a wheeling incident. Haven't had it aligned since I replaced it (I know, could be the source of my problem right there). ALL my bushings are sh!t and the rear lowers look like they could just slide around!

And my tires are wearing uneven, first sign of alignment issue right there. But I'v been trying to save up for the new suspension before I get it aligned...oh well, better do it now before something bad happens...DAMN IT ALL!

At least now I know why my steering wheel is crooked. Never thought it could've been because of bad alignment, though. Thanks again.

Jose

Edited by 180sx

Steering Rack bushings?

I had this same problem with my steering wheel. When I turned left the wheel slanted left but when I turned hard-right, thew wheel would straighten out until the next left turn. When I crawled under, I coulded find where it could've slipped off to, only to realize that the little pieces of junk I was brushing away was actually the disinigrated bushing. The other piece was in good condition but I replaced both anyway. Pretty pricey for a piece of rubber. Its a dealership part. But then again, IMO, you should always buy OEM boots and bushings.