bedliner for rust

Tosh

alright so i know the pathfinders are bad for rust and i'm starting to notice surface rust on by back axle and frame..i've read up about it and saw all about bedliner but is there a certain way i have to prep the metal and what all should i be covering with it?

is there anything i need to take off?

and i'm also thinkin about takin out the carpet and puttin bedliner down there. good or bad idea.

thanks for help

Bedliner spray is great to seal/prevent rust.

The problem is, if there's rust already, you need to remove it before spraying by sanding/blasting for it to adhere properly.

I don't know if anyone's tried spraying over rust, but I'd bet it wouldn't last too long.

Eventually, the bedliner paint will just start to peel off. It needs bare metal to which it can adhere; rust is no good.

Make sure you remove all the rust and sand down those areas so they are free of any debris/residue. I hear sandblacsting works well but I'm sure doing it by hand will get similar results only not so quickly or easily. :D

I'm planning a similar project once the weather is nicer. My rig requires some minor body work, though... :thumbsdown:

Didn't see that before, but you decide:

8808006.jpg

well i think i'm gonna do it cause the trucks startin to stink from years of dogs and mud and water.haha

Por15 rocks if you prepare the metal right

Marine clean and Metal Ready should be purchased at same time.

a few hours after por15 is used it is ready for bedliner, don't wait a day or 3 as it will not stick very well to por15 once it fully cures.

Worth every penny!

I have some surface rust on my frame behind the rear wheels. It is on the outside so I am sure that it is on the inside too. It isn't rotting or anything, I whacked it with a hammer and it is still strong. I am planning on using some zero rust on the outside in a month when I will have a garage to work in. Is there anything that I can do about the inside of the frame??