Starter mystery part: Resistor?

Scottzilla

One of the smaller wires going to my starter has a part that looks just like a resistor in line with it. I know if this wire isn't hooked up the Pathfinder won't try to run the starter. Does anybody know what exactly the part is and why it's there? Mine is broken and I need to either replace it or bypass it.

Then pictures you shall have!

3362592035_f1a8a65939.jpg

3363409330_f002ed603f.jpg

So I dug it out of its many layers of tubing and cleaned it up a bit. It turns out it's a 470-ohm 1% 1/4-watt resistor. The color bands are in bad shape but they are yellow, purple, black, black, brown. I also verified this with a meter.

I'm still wondering what it's for though. The second picture shows the terminal it's connected to. I don't have any of my books with me or I'd dig through schematics to try to figure it out from them.

thats defiantly not on mine it must be somekind of jimmy rig to make it work. Are you the orginal owener or did u buy it used? My guess is the pervious owner did that. Not sure exactly what its purpose is though

The guy who had it before me had done lots of "creative" wiring, but I didn't realize he'd gotten to the starter too. Now I'm wondering what other weird stuff is lurking in my electrical system. I'm still digging through the massive cut bundle of wires where the Super Stega Alarm 3000 used to be. I'm surprised the thing runs at all really...

Here is your anser:

Your vehicle had a remote starter on it at some point.

A GOOD installer will put one of these on when they install an aftermarket remote starter in order to keep the voltage 'balanced' and reduce heat on the system.

You also see installers use these up near the battery or near an amp when they install a high capacity amplifier for a sound system.

• 1 month later...
The resistor still has its colour bands showing, you should be able to buy a cheap replacement at any electronics store, just take the old one with you.

you are not alone! I purchased a carquest starter for my '88 and guess what? A 470 ohm inline resistor! Not sure of it's purpose however>