Snorkel on R50

TheCrow

I have not seen an R50 fitted with snorkel and when I open the hood an look under it I don’t see much chances on fitting a snorkel .

I am also not a good mechanic actually a bad one hehe , but I am led to believe that it is not possible to fit a snorkel on an R50 or it maybe a difficult process to install one

Any idea’s on fitting a snorkel on an R50 ?

Edited by TheCrow

Looks fairly straight forward, but one thing I didn't see them mention (maybe they did it, maybe I missed it)

Is that all the holes they drilled in the fender will rust out unless they touched up all the bare metal edges with paint.

How did they connect it to the air intake ? did they cut the box where the air filter is ?

Will they cut further inside the frame chassis to reach to the air intake ? :scratchhead:

As said previously I am not good in mechanical work so excuse my ignorance .

How did they connect it to the air intake ? did they cut the box where the air filter is ?

Will they cut further inside the frame chassis to reach to the air intake ? :scratchhead:

As said previously I am not good in mechanical work so excuse my ignorance .

The next page in that link shows them plumbing it to the airbox.

IMO they made it a lot more complicated than they need have in terms of plumbing it. I mean they trimmed the fins on the side of the airbox, cut a nicely shaped hole, fabbed a special side plate....why didn't they just remove the airbox and run another 6 inches of pipe directly to the intake?

Anyway a snorkel is one of the easiest and most cost effective mods you could do. I've seen a lot of guys construct them out of PVC piping for a nominal amount of money.

I've been talking/trying to do this for a couple of months now (I just need to take a weekend & do it already) & its fairly straight forward. Ask Dan he did it with a Navara snorkel (which is what AC sells as Frontier snorkels).

I've been talking/trying to do this for a couple of months now (I just need to take a weekend & do it already) & its fairly straight forward. Ask Dan he did it with a Navara snorkel (which is what AC sells as Frontier snorkels).

2 posts up. ;)

I had to pull out a hacksaw to take it apart when I stripped down the truck. It sealed up just fine, almost too well. I got a plastic bag stuck on the snorkel inlet on the highway and the truck damn near stalled out.

I did have to angle the tube that came out of the snorkel into the fender, and use a flex-hose to go into the engine bay, because I didn't want to cut the Unibody chassis structure (like the australian one requires you do). It didn't line up perfectly with the fender, but I still think it looked a lot better than the goofy one from AU that sits on top of it.

Well, that snorkel was designed around the RHD R50, with the aerial on the left side, so it would have to be made to clear that....

Bah, stupid concept if you ask me... I guess one could always just swap over the antenna to make it actually look proper. Even so, I say 'bah' in a hearty tone.

I'm going to attempt the D22 snorkel with some flex tube a-la-Dan style. :lol:

I had to pull out a hacksaw to take it apart when I stripped down the truck. It sealed up just fine, almost too well. I got a plastic bag stuck on the snorkel inlet on the highway and the truck damn near stalled out.

I did have to angle the tube that came out of the snorkel into the fender, and use a flex-hose to go into the engine bay, because I didn't want to cut the Unibody chassis structure (like the australian one requires you do). It didn't line up perfectly with the fender, but I still think it looked a lot better than the goofy one from AU that sits on top of it.

The D22 snorkel looks much better on the truck.

Did you take pictures while fitting it ?

You wouldn't have to relocate it, but it would involve running wires to the other side. I guess it wouldn't be too difficult if you could get your hands on all the parts.

So it'd be a matter of relocating the mount itself and thus cutting the other fender, extending wires but essentially leave the internal hardware where it is...? :scratchhead:

This has the potential to be an irrelevant modification merely to accomodate the R50 snorkel. :lol: