95 3.0 4x4 auto transmission problems

okc_madness

Alright, so I'm a newb and have been searching around for a while. Reverse comes and goes so I was going to add some Lucas Transmission Fix to my tranny fluid, but I dont know where to add it?! All I can find is the yellow dipstick on the driver side! HELP!? Where do I add transmission fluid?

Reverse comes and goes so I was going to add some Lucas Transmission Fix to my tranny fluid, but I dont know where to add it?! All I can find is the yellow dipstick on the driver side! HELP!? Where do I add transmission fluid?

Have you even checked to see if the tranny fluid is low or what condition it is in if you can't find the dipstick?

Do you have an external tranny cooler or is it just routed through the bottom radiator cooler? Odds are this is clogged and should be bypassed immediately.

B

Alright dudes, is the cap I'm pointing to in the pic the tranny fluid? http://twitpic.com/22ni5 The fluid looks goods, nice red color, but I don't know what it would look like if it was bad. To my knowledge, I do not have a tranny cooler, the engine is totally stock with the exception of a K&N.

Also, I'm planning on driving from OKC to Austin,tx tomorrow ~400miles both ways. Bad idea? It runs well going forward, its only backwards I have a problem with. Thoughts?

That's the power steering reservoir. You may be missing the dipstick if you still can't find it. That's no fun! Hold on, I'll go take a picture...

Mine's an older version, but the dipstick is in the same place.

transdipstick.jpg

It's tough to tell on these automatics whether they'll live or die when they reach the point where reverse begins slipping. Generally speaking, when it starts to slip in reverse it's fairly well shot already and forward gears will probably go next. If the dipstick is missing, you may also have a problem with water or dirt/dust in the trans fluid, which REALLY doesn't help. You'd be best off to get an external cooler and change the fluid to begin with. Then see if reverse performance improves before taking long road trips in it. You probably don't want to be stranded 400 miles from home with a blown transmission that costs +/- $2000 to rebuild or replace.

That's the power steering reservoir. You may be missing the dipstick if you still can't find it. That's no fun! Hold on, I'll go take a picture...

Mine's an older version, but the dipstick is in the same place.

transdipstick.jpg

It's tough to tell on these automatics whether they'll live or die when they reach the point where reverse begins slipping. Generally speaking, when it starts to slip in reverse it's fairly well shot already and forward gears will probably go next. If the dipstick is missing, you may also have a problem with water or dirt/dust in the trans fluid, which REALLY doesn't help. You'd be best off to get an external cooler and change the fluid to begin with. Then see if reverse performance improves before taking long road trips in it. You probably don't want to be stranded 400 miles from home with a blown transmission that costs +/- $2000 to rebuild or replace.

Found it finally, I was overlooking it the whole time. Thanks for the pic. I'll take a look at it tomorrow in the daylight, but I think I'll find another car for the road trip. I appreciate all the help!

I added about half a bottle of Lucas Transmission Fix goo and it seemed to help a little. Reverse seemed to engage quicker than before. Drove it around a bit, but forgot I didn't have a dependable reverse and had to backup about 40ft. Now the shifter doesn't even click into reverse, the button stays depressed, never clicking into reverse like it does every other gear. Screwed?

I've not heard of that before, but I don't have tremendous knowledge of the auto trannys. It almost sounds like a linkage issue, but I'm guessing. Perhaps pull the shifter console and see if there is anything obviously wrong??

B

the reverse gear needs higher oil pressure to work properly. When your rear pump is failing, you do not get the pressure you need to activate the mechanism to give you reverse. That's how my first one went. The second tranny failed in forward... it started slipping in gear and finally I lost all but second.

The only trip I would make in your truck would be to a tranny shop for a gut-replacement.

Those of you who have had to replace tranny's, how expensive is it, does it have to be a tranny from a 4x4? There is a tranny on craigslist in my city from a 97, but it wont fit correct-different engine and such? Should I try and get it rebuilt or get a new one all together?

A week after I got my 95 the reverse became intermittent. I had it flushed, and it helped a lot. It still doesn't work sometimes, so I am going to have it flushed again. I have taken several 400km+ trips in it with no issues. It still doesn't engage quick like my other ones, but I guess it is still pretty dirty as my fluid was brown when i got the truck.