VG33E oil relo kit

Sorry for the lateness ya'll... :scratchhead:

Well, I tried. And I failed... :thumbsdown:

...Not without a fight, mind you. The only issue I confronted during this attempted install was the power steering pump bracket. It passes right by the filter and quite closely I might add. So I tried to install the sandwich plate but that bracket prevented me from actually doing so.

I took pics of my "progress" and will post 'em later. In the meantime, I need food and a beer or 10. :lol:

So here's how it went down...

First:

DSC07307.jpg

This was my first step, getting off the skid plate. Pretty self-explanatory... :lol:

Next:

DSC07308.jpg

Here's how the filter's situated. IMO, Nissan dropped the ball... Notice the steering rack and clutter all around it. :thumbsdown:

Next:

DSC07309.jpg

Here's why I hate aforementioned location. Remove the filter, and bam! Oil everywhere... I even jacked up the left side of the Pathy to allow for as much oil to come out the of oil plan drain as possible. Still, a fail nonetheless.

Finally:

DSC07311.jpg

My attempt at installing the filter sandwich plate proved useless. Notice the steering pump pulley tensioner bracket hanging? As soon as I did that, my belt became loosey goosey, not to mention I could not longer remount the bracket with the sandwich plate on.

If nothing else, I learned a hard lesson: changing oil on the R50 will be a chore, unless...

There are two options that may still allow for proper installation of this relo kit:

1) Getting a new sandwich plate made in smaller dimensions to allow for installation without removing the steering pump pulley tensioner bracket; or:

2) Getting a custom-built steering pump pulley tensioner bracket made to allow for clearance of the sandwich plate included with this kit.

Needless to say, this isn't over. My stubborn nature just won't allow that. :aok:

Your steering rack bushings are pretty deteriorated dude. You should probably replace them before they disappear like mine did, giving you 3/4" of lateral play in your steering rack...SCARY.

Thanks for the tip, Dan. I didn't even notice that until looking at the pics after you mentioned that... :wacko:

i look at and read what dan says and realize thats whats up wityh my steering!!

i say the easiest and cheapest way would be to have a new bracket made up.

Edited by 180sx

could you cut out the backet where its in the way (all exept the L portion to keep your dimentions in tact.) and then have a 1/4" doubler welded over the gap? that would clear you the thickness of the braket or is that not enough?

or maybe have a macine shop put the adaper in a lathe and turn it down some?

I bet a combineation of the 2 would work.

Edited by MY1PATH

What if you got some adapters that go straight that way you could go down past that bracket and then use the 90's a little lower, it would take more hose but at least it would work.

What if you got some adapters that go straight that way you could go down past that bracket and then use the 90's a little lower, it would take more hose but at least it would work.

I think the problem is the block(adapter) that goes in the place of the filter is wider than the filter.

I think the problem is the block(adapter) that goes in the place of the filter is wider than the filter.

Exactly. And it contacts the power steering tensioner bracket, which prevents a proper seal from being made with the block. :thumbsdown:

Oh....well who needs power steering anyways, as long as changing the oil is easy!

:beer:

Yeah, it'll be a breeze to strongarm a 4,200 lb. SUV... :lol:

I think the best solution is to get a smaller sandwich plate made. Seems better than trying to get a custom steering pump tensioner bracket made.