Bypass ERG?

92Pathmaker

This is exactly what I did to get rid of about 30 vacuum lines on my engine swap. It cleans up a lot of stuff in the engine bay.

Just keep in mind that your EGR system actually gives you a little gain in highway mileage.

Just keep in mind that your EGR system actually gives you a little gain in highway mileage.

x2

the egr lowers combustion temps for more efficent burn= better mpg

I wish I knew how much better tho

Does it help with mpg? I thought it was just for emissions. Wouldn't it raise combustion temps because it is putting exhaust into the chamber instead of fresh air.

tmorgan, I just see the pipe going from the header and three vacuum lines. Am I missing something?

There is a lot more to an EGR system than most people realize. The engineers who designed it didn't put it in for no reason....

I agree that is has its downsides. The inside of your intake gets caked with carbon especially around the cylinders where the EGR valve sits. The plumbing can be simplified a ton without it.

From what I've read, a good figure is that the EGR system supplies about 10% of your air volume when the valve is open. This air that it supplies has already been combusted and depleted of oxygen so it basically takes up space. The MAF readings will be lower because you're actually drawing in ~10% less fresh air. Less oxygen means less fuel which means less emissions and better fuel mileage. Keep in mind that this valve only opens while cruising at constant speed. As soon as you hit the throttle the valve closes.

There is a lot more to it than this and I'm not claiming to understand it completely. There is another guy on the NICO board that could explain it far better than I can.

Edited by tmorgan4

explain how hot exhaust being dumped into the intake lowers combustion temps?

there is a chemical rectaion with something in the exhaust (I think its hydrocarbons but I can't remember for sure) that when mixed with the air/fuel allows the mixture to cobust @ a sligtly lower temperature. this chemically altered mixture sopposedly more effiecently burns the fuel.

There is a lot more to an EGR system than most people realize. The engineers who designed it didn't put it in for no reason....

I agree that is has its downsides. The inside of your intake gets caked with carbon especially around the cylinders where the EGR valve sits. The plumbing can be simplified a ton without it.

From what I've read, a good figure is that the EGR system supplies about 10% of your air volume when the valve is open. This air that it supplies has already been combusted and depleted of oxygen so it basically takes up space. The MAF readings will be lower because you're actually drawing in ~10% less fresh air. Less oxygen means less fuel which means less emissions and better fuel mileage. Keep in mind that this valve only opens while cruising at constant speed. As soon as you hit the throttle the valve closes.

There is a lot more to it than this and I'm not claiming to understand it completely. There is another guy on the NICO board that could explain it far better than I can.

i always thought they we a cheap band aid to keep the greenie liberals happy? but if you in a non emissions testing part of the country, hack that crap out of there and make a block off plate for the intake manifold. its one less thing to cause you trouble.

explain how hot exhaust being dumped into the intake lowers combustion temps?

hot exhaust is an inert gas and will not burn. the air/fuel mixture will and does burn at several 1000F hotter than exhaust gases. it effectively leans out the AFR, but not by fuel starvation or air over-supply. it dilutes the AFR with an inert gas.

EGR doesn't operate under high-load situations so it doesn't affect peak performance. if you're getting on it, the EGR will be off.

So by disabling the EGR valve, what exactly would be the result? :scratchhead:

you would pollute more.

EGR only opens when you're cruising (highway driving). so if you want that extra horsepower when you've got your cruise control set at 65mph, by all means - disconnect your EGR. have fun getting the truck inspected.

Will it hurt anything if you bypass the erg by disconnecting the tube that goes from the header to the erg and plugging the holes? The engine should run better without exhaust in the intake.

if you don't even know what the name is, perhaps you should leave it alone.

our trucks are slow, and will always be slow. some people just won't accept that fact.

What I have been saying for a while. I drove a considerably slower truck for 10 years, so a V6 Pathy is a step up. Regardless, it's not like they can't get out of their own way, they just won't win many races...

If you want more power, upgrade intake, headers, exhaust for something like a 10-20% gain depending on what you do and call it good.

If you really want to go nuts, cams, 3.3 heads, ecu map and rip out all the interior like a ricer.

Hell, rip out the transfer case, front drive line, diff, CVs and that stupid second shifter also. It's all just dead weight anyway... :lol:

B

I said that it should run better, not that I want more horsepower. I have cams, intake and exhaust to improve the performance. I want to smooth out the idle, and a guy told me that removing the egr (<-I got it right can I play with it now alex?) would help the idle. I don't have to pass inspections where I live so that isn't a factor.

It was a simple question and I was just asking for advice (that is why we are here right).

From what I understand it is closed when you are giving the engine gas, and open when you are just cruising. So would it be open or closed at idle?

you would pollute more.

EGR only opens when you're cruising (highway driving). so if you want that extra horsepower when you've got your cruise control set at 65mph, by all means - disconnect your EGR. have fun getting the truck inspected.

our trucks are slow, and will always be slow. some people just won't accept that fact.

I have no plans to screw with things on my rig I don't understand. I've accepted my R50 as being slow and will definitely live with that. I was just curious what, if anything, would be the benefits in disabling the EGR valve. I've concluded there are none. :lol:

From what I understand it is closed when you are giving the engine gas, and open when you are just cruising. So would it be open or closed at idle?

I believe it is closed at idle.

I don't have to pass inspections where I live so that isn't a factor.

Actually, it is, unless you are the type of person who throws their trash out of the window while driving along.

EGR=reduced emissions, there is a reason for that...

B

I said that it should run better, not that I want more horsepower. I have cams, intake and exhaust to improve the performance. I want to smooth out the idle, and a guy told me that removing the egr (<-I got it right can I play with it now alex?) would help the idle. I don't have to pass inspections where I live so that isn't a factor.

It was a simple question and I was just asking for advice (that is why we are here right).

it will onlt help the idle if the EGR valve is not functioning (ie not seating)

it should be closed at idle, the test to see if it is fuctioning is to actuate it manually at idle, if things go to @!*% then its working, if they stay the same its bad.

it is illegal in ALL 50 STATES to remove an emissions control device that came factory-equipped on the vehicle. simply because your county does not test for these parts does not mean it's legal to remove it.

anyway, like stated above, an EGR valve should be shut at idle. if you have a crappy idle, get a better tune and/or fix your EGR. removing the EGR won't hurt anything, so that's another option if it is the EGR that's causing your driveability issues. manually actuating the EGR valve won't prove/disprove if it's seating shut at idle. the smallest amount of bypass will still affect your idle.