Electronic Suspension

OfftourRoadie96

I have a 1996 Pathfinder that came with the Electronic Suspension Package....There's a switch inside the cab for "Sport" and "Comfort". Can anyone enlighten me on this option? And How does it affect me putting a lift on this truck? I currently have a bad front passenger strut, which from my understanding is a dealer only part, Well into the $1000's rage to fix.....definitely not into that. Would much rather put that money into a kick ass lift/struts & shocks/wheels/tires combo. Can I replace all the Electronic Struts and Shocks with STANDARD ONES?????

I have a 1996 Pathfinder that came with the Electronic Suspension Package....There's a switch inside the cab for "Sport" and "Comfort". Can anyone enlighten me on this option? And How does it affect me putting a lift on this truck? I currently have a bad front passenger strut, which from my understanding is a dealer only part, Well into the $1000's rage to fix.....definitely not into that. Would much rather put that money into a kick ass lift/struts & shocks/wheels/tires combo. Can I replace all the Electronic Struts and Shocks with STANDARD ONES?????

Well, Since I got no response...I'm taking my chances and ordered a pair of KYB's GR-2 for the front......Paid $145.13 for the pair...FREE Shipping!

Hopefully these will work, and the whole Electronic Suspension thing doesn't bite me in the ass. I looked underneath and didn't see any kind of wires coming out of the front stuts at all so hopefully all will be well.

Baby Steps, Baby Steps, Baby Steps.............Next Step, AC 2" Lift......

Hey, since I haven't bought rear shocks yet....CAN I USE MY STOCK ONE's w/ The Electronic Adj. Suspension....With the 2" AC Lift???? Those definitely had electronic wires coming out of the rear shocks!!!

Yes, you can replace them no prob. just won't be able to use the switches in the cab, thats all!

Sorry about that....Didn't see ya there. Well that's a relief do you know if its worth keeping the Stock Rear struts with the ADJ. Electronic Suspension? Can it be used with the AC 2" Lift???

Isn't it responded? :scratchhead:

I had no idea R50's any year came with adjustable suspension. That's badass!

I thought it was only WD21s and maybe QX4s. Never heard of a standard r50 with it before. Maybe it was a short-term, limited option?

I thought it was only WD21s and maybe QX4s. Never heard of a standard r50 with it before. Maybe it was a short-term, limited option?

Yeah, Im the Original Owner, bought it back in 96...I'm just curious, since its totally stock, I just bought some KYB GR2 for the front....I plan to get the AC 2" lift next....Can I use the Stock rear shocks w/ Adj. Elec. Suspension with the AC Lift????

I don't have a lift so I can't tell you exactly, but my stock length shocks (bought new shocks without thinking about flex, still kicking myself for it) limit my flex with just the rear swaybar removed, so I'd imagine they'd definitely limit lifted flex.

I know the R50's in Japan kept the electronically adjustable suspenion system right to '04. Then again, there are a long list of JDM-only features we were never lucky enough to see here. :(

But I agree with Mike (laxman) on this: get the lift and say sayonara to the stock gear! :aok:

Offroadtourroadie... just wondering, you are the original owner of the 96 pathy and you are changing the struts now... does that mean stock strut can be used for 13 years? :O Did you clock in lotsa mileage on that pathy?

I'm coming up on 100,000 miles but have done no off roading....but yeah i still have the original suspension and on my 3rd set of tires. I tour alot so my truck sits for months at a time. I figured after 13 years she deserves a make over......I just ordered some KYB's for the front....I plan to buy the springs next then the Rear Shocks since I i have to buy rear shocks with some travel....I slowly aquiring all the parts, once i have all the pieces then I'll put them on.

I see... my 2000 pathy has 197,000 km in it and is still using stock suspension too. Regarding the struts, the stock struts = kyb gr2 struts in terms of dimension and travel, right? And it is also the same struts if you wanna lift that pathy by 2"?

Edited by dududuckling

If you open your hood and look at the top of the strut mounts, that's where the electronic portion of the adjustable strut is. When the switch in the cab is flipped, the little motors turned an adjustment knob on the top of the strut to change the valving in them.

Honestly, I don't think I've ever seen someone replace the electronic versions with the same.

The regular struts will bolt right into place, and just toss the electrical motors in the garbage.

If you want, you can rewire that switch to do something else (off road lights?) or you could get a switch blank and remove it completely.

If you open your hood and look at the top of the strut mounts, that's where the electronic portion of the adjustable strut is. When the switch in the cab is flipped, the little motors turned an adjustment knob on the top of the strut to change the valving in them.

Honestly, I don't think I've ever seen someone replace the electronic versions with the same.

The regular struts will bolt right into place, and just toss the electrical motors in the garbage.

If you want, you can rewire that switch to do something else (off road lights?) or you could get a switch blank and remove it completely.

That's my reasoning behind the whole "Make Over" for my vehicle. I've been told to replace the Electronic struts would cost $1000's. For that kind of money I'd rather sink that money into Standard Struts and Shocks With A COOL Lift Kit and Wheels!

That's a good idea about rewiring...and using them for lights...Wouldn't have to take the dash apart at least. Right?

That's my reasoning behind the whole "Make Over" for my vehicle. I've been told to replace the Electronic struts would cost $1000's. For that kind of money I'd rather sink that money into Standard Struts and Shocks With A COOL Lift Kit and Wheels!

That's a good idea about rewiring...and using them for lights...Wouldn't have to take the dash apart at least. Right?

Well, I don't know about $1000's.. The actual struts are only about $100 bucks more a piece than the regular ones, but a lot of times you find one or both of the actuator motors on the top of the strut don't work, and they're $500 a piece.

You wouldn't have to pull the dash, the switches just pop out with a little pursuasion.