headlight adjustment

SpeakEasy

Help...I have a 2004 pathfinder and I need to adjust the headlights. I just put a new HID kit in and I need to adjust the lights so they don't shine so far down the road. Are there adjustment screws on the headlight housings? I am finding that people are flashing their brights at me! If I can't adjust them I'm taking them out because I can only imagine how annoying that is. :thumbsdown:

Edited by SpeakEasy

Yup, the housings have adjustment screws. When I installed new bulbs in the '98 I parked about 10 ft from the garage door with the headlights on. Using the pattern on the garage door and a tape measure I adjusted them accordingly. Then I reversed down the driveway to make sure the light dispersed properly at a distance. It took about 15 mins to make it work.

This is an extremely irresponsible move for someone to make. Your housing is designed for halogen headlights, HID bulbs put out a different beam pattern, which will throw light into oncoming traffics eyes unless you make some dramatic adjustments (and thus losing any benefit of HIDs). Do everyone else a favor and remove the HIDs. My friend actually was ticketed in his 2003 Mustang for installing HIDs that blinded other drivers, hopefully you take yours out before the same happens.

I'm with Lax on this one. The lens pattern on the R50 isn't designed for a HID bulb and the light dispersion will be a mess no matter how you adjust the housings.

If you really want HID headlights for your R50, you'd be better off to get the JDM kit as it's a HID set-up with the proper lens pattern. :aok:

Nevermind.... I just found my answer

What you can do is custom fit a projector to the headlight housing and run projectors or have someone make them for you, this is just one of the first sites that came up on a search...http://www.izntrbl.com/

btw: sorry if I came on a bit harsh but I have been blinded by many of these lights living in DC, so its something that really gets to me...

Edited by laxman0324

I know how ****** it is when someone drives by with their brights on. I've only had them in for 2 weeks and every night I get someone flashing their brights at me. It's really bad when it's a dark road. I bought new corner lenses and these hid bulbs (which aren't cheap) and I would like to get use out of them. I've looked into the projector kits and I think I would rather spend the money on the motor or a borla (SWEET) exhaust I've been looking at. I'm going to try and adjust the light tonight. I was thinking about getting a light tint to put over the headlights and corner light and see what that does. IDK. maybe this was a bad idea. I must say though...these lights (5000K) would be a great off-roading accessory.

I know how ****** it is when someone drives by with their brights on. I've only had them in for 2 weeks and every night I get someone flashing their brights at me. It's really bad when it's a dark road. I bought new corner lenses and these hid bulbs (which aren't cheap) and I would like to get use out of them. I've looked into the projector kits and I think I would rather spend the money on the motor or a borla (SWEET) exhaust I've been looking at. I'm going to try and adjust the light tonight. I was thinking about getting a light tint to put over the headlights and corner light and see what that does. IDK. maybe this was a bad idea. I must say though...these lights (5000K) would be a great off-roading accessory.

I would want to get the most out of it too...keep us updated on if you can get it to work out, and night pics of the beam pattern from certain distances would help a lot

I have HIDs installed so what are you saying here? I got brighted with my silverstar ultras and get brighted with my HIDs but mine sits off the ground a lot higher then anyone else. But I do live in central utah, its either you have a pos car or a big lifted suv or truck. So everyone just gets used to brighter lights. If someone brights me i usually just flip off my headlights and run with my fogs til i pass them, my fogs are wired up to the parking lights.

half the idiots on the road already drive with their brights on anyway, so who cares if you run HIDs in halogen housings? i just use it as an excuse to light them up with my airplane landing lights.

I wouldn't be surprised if the people at whom you've flashed those lights have probably pooped a little when they came on. Probably thought they were on a runway or something. :lol:

• 2 months later...
Yup, the housings have adjustment screws. When I installed new bulbs in the '98 I parked about 10 ft from the garage door with the headlights on. Using the pattern on the garage door and a tape measure I adjusted them accordingly. Then I reversed down the driveway to make sure the light dispersed properly at a distance. It took about 15 mins to make it work.

i have a question. i don't know if i need to adjust my headlights or not, but i have about 7 to 10 feet of darkness in front of me before the light hits the ground. it's very distinct line between the darkness and light.

is that normal or should i have to readjust the beams?? looking at other cars the lights begin right in front of their vehicles. but i'm thinking it's just because i'm "higher up" and other suvs run fog lights while they drive...

any info is great.

i have a question. i don't know if i need to adjust my headlights or not, but i have about 7 to 10 feet of darkness in front of me before the light hits the ground. it's very distinct line between the darkness and light.

is that normal or should i have to readjust the beams?? looking at other cars the lights begin right in front of their vehicles. but i'm thinking it's just because i'm "higher up" and other suvs run fog lights while they drive...

any info is great.

That's pretty normal, since your headlights are higher off the ground. Besides, when you're sitting in the driver's seat you can't even see the first 5-10 feet of [unlit] ground in front of the bumper anyway.