how much body roll when sway bars removed?

alexrex20

With lift springs, GR-2's up front and RS9000XL's out back with only the front sway bar removed I didn't think the body roll was bad, but when I added stock springs with OEM struts and Monroe shocks the body roll was quite dramatic...

Basically if you are leaving stock suspension I wouldn't do it yet...

i only remove my rear sway bar when i go wheeling and keep it on for street use, so i have a good feel for the difference between the two. there's a pretty big difference in body roll w/o the sway bar. i think one of my rear tires came off the ground on a right-hand turn w/ a radius of the width of a lane (there were two right-hand turn lanes and i was on the outside lane) going about 20-25. but that's also because i have 3+3 on 33s.

i think one of my rear tires came off the ground on a right-hand turn w/ a radius of the width of a lane (there were two right-hand turn lanes and i was on the outside lane) going about 20-25. but that's also because i have 3+3 on 33s.

DAMN, Note to self dont take off rea sway bar when I get a SFD lol

DAMN, Note to self dont take off rea sway bar when I get a SFD lol

You'll most likely have to.

And like I said I haven't rocked a front or rear for a good long while now & its not that big of a deal. I can roll a Nissan Sentra if I cut the wheel hard enough...

I run no sway bars and like it better, the rear sway bar on an r50 is worthless. On a wd the sway bar is like 3 times thicker then the r50. YOu'll have to remove the rear on the sfd. I go around corners and @!*% all the time on 3 tires and its not a big deal. The rear has so much travel that usually just the front tire will come off. No biggie.

I run no sway bars and like it better, the rear sway bar on an r50 is worthless. On a wd the sway bar is like 3 times thicker then the r50. YOu'll have to remove the rear on the sfd. I go around corners and @!*% all the time on 3 tires and its not a big deal. The rear has so much travel that usually just the front tire will come off. No biggie.

I can see myself right now rollin around on 3 wheels...stuntin baby!!!!

So for the SFD the rear sway comes out no matter what? Does the front have to come out, too? :scratchhead:

no it doesnt, its a lot harder to get on 3 wheels with an automatic. haha.

I have no intentions putting it on three wheels but I don't want to take out the front sway bar. The rear doesn't worry me so I have no issues removing that. But the quick release links will be of no use anymore... :thumbsdown:

lol, i'm the exact opposite. i couldn't care less about the rear sway. in fact, i don't even care that it's still on! the damn thing is so small and flimsy that i doubt it does anything at all. i can completely stuff one tire and get the other in the air, with quite ease, so it's not hindering off-road performance much -if at all.

If you get shokcs that allow more travel & have a lift you would notice the differrence in rear flex with it off.

the front, however, is much more substantial and seems to limit front flex - what little we do have, anyway. i drive my R50 like a sports car, so i'm wary of removing the front sway, but i guess i could always get some quick disconnects.

My front has been broken for God-knows how long now, but as far as an R50 driving like a sports car... you must have the 3.5, but in any event if you go with bigger meatier tires, it won't matter if you have the 3.3 or the 3.5, cause it'll drive like a horse & carriage then!

lol, i'm the exact opposite. i couldn't care less about the rear sway. in fact, i don't even care that it's still on! the damn thing is so small and flimsy that i doubt it does anything at all. i can completely stuff one tire and get the other in the air, with quite ease, so it's not hindering off-road performance much -if at all.

the front, however, is much more substantial and seems to limit front flex - what little we do have, anyway. i drive my R50 like a sports car, so i'm wary of removing the front sway, but i guess i could always get some quick disconnects.

I installed a set of Moog greasable links but they aren't quick disconnects. I figure with struts installed anyway, there's no point in trying to maximize flex potential in front; just save it for the rear! :aok:

If you get shokcs that allow more travel & have a lift you would notice the differrence in rear flex with it off.

My front has been broken for God-knows how long now, but as far as an R50 driving like a sports car... you must have the 3.5, but in any event if you go with bigger meatier tires, it won't matter if you have the 3.3 or the 3.5, cause it'll drive like a horse & carriage then!

As for driving style, I drive pretty modest on the road. Off the road is another story; that's just to get the most torque as possible, though.

So I could take my rear sway bar out, drive on the highway doing 80-120km/h, and not have any significant issues?

So I could take my rear sway bar out, drive on the highway doing 80-120km/h, and not have any significant issues?

Sure (I have know idea what that is in mph?)... I put cruise on like 75mph on the interstate

Edited by Fukinitupagain

I have a '98 with OME lift, adjustable rancho shocks in the back, and wheels with less backspace, so they stick out a bit further. I have experimented with removing both the rear and front sway bars, with mixed results.

Disconnecting the rear sway bar provides more flex and a better ride when going over bumps, and does not seem to allow too much additional body roll. The front sway bar, on the other hand, seems to have a much more significant effect on body roll if disconnected, and I would not like to perform an emergency swerving maneuver without it going at any rate of speed.

After much testing I have completely removed the rear bar, but the front I like to keep on for daily driving. I experimented with SKC removable front links for a while, but after a while they starting clunking so I switched back to the original links.