tranny limp mode?

calibeater

hi, new to your forum but i've had two pathfinders, wheeled them both and my mom has an xterra that i've wheeled. but now to my problem, my pathfinders tranny is acting wierd and i need some advise. if i am driving it rough or bounce it hard it seems like it goes into some sort of limp mode, it wont go past 2nd gear, i have to manually down shift if i want 1st gear and even then if feels like the torque converter is slipping and that i'm only getting bout half the power i should have. but then i let it sit for awhile and it goes back to normal. what could this be? :scratchhead:

Edited by calibeater

Well, #1 would be do you have an aftermarket tranny cooler or do the lines run through the radiator? The radiator is prone to clogging... What condition is the tranny fluid in (how old, clean, etc)?

This almost sounds like an electrical connection though. Check the wiring to the tranny brain (behind a rear passenger side pannel I believe, don't recall exactly) and to the tranny it's self.

B

its all stock, no new tranny lines or coolers, and the fluid needs to be changed. i thought it must be a electircal porblem or something. but i also thought if it was it would throw a engine light but it doesnt. oh and my path has bout 185k on it.

Edited by calibeater

It is defaulting into limp mode, like B said, check your tranny ecu and other tranny wiring for loose connections. Since it is happening in rough terrain, something probably came loose.

ok i will check that out. i hope thats if cuz on my last path, it was the tranny that died and i dont want that to happen to this one. i will post back after i tinker with it, which might not be today, hopefully tomorrow

I agree with B. I have never had anyone need to replace their trans control module on any pathfinder ever. (and you dont want too! expensive). I think we did one once on an Altima or Maxima and it was warranty.....