bad cv joints-shimmy

jgt

My cv boots have been torn for some time and the grease is all out. I'm getting new axles this month, but wanted to ask a question. I'm getting a steering wheel shimmy (feels like a rt/lt shimmy as I'm driving straight) and was wondering two things:

1) is this most likey caused by the bad cv joints?

2) Is this shimmy causing wear on my other steering parts? (cuz i just had new ball joints/ tierod ends and centerlink installed recently)

wondering if I should do it asap in case I'm doing damage to my new parts. The boots have been torn for about 3-4k miles. thanks, julie

My cv boots have been torn for some time and the grease is all out. I'm getting new axles this month, but wanted to ask a question. I'm getting a steering wheel shimmy (feels like a rt/lt shimmy as I'm driving straight) and was wondering two things:

1) is this most likey caused by the bad cv joints?

2) Is this shimmy causing wear on my other steering parts? (cuz i just had new ball joints/ tierod ends and centerlink installed recently)

wondering if I should do it asap in case I'm doing damage to my new parts. The boots have been torn for about 3-4k miles. thanks, julie

do you have manual hubs? if you do disconnect them and if the shimmy stops then its your cv joints...

I would doubt the bootless CVs would cause a shimmy in 2 or 4wd. If you just replaced all the usuall suspect parts, start looking at the wheels and tires for missing weights, out of round, uneven wear, bent rim....

I would doubt the bootless CVs would cause a shimmy in 2 or 4wd. If you just replaced all the usuall suspect parts, start looking at the wheels and tires for missing weights, out of round, uneven wear, bent rim....

i had a bad cv joint and in 4wd it jerked the steering wheel just a little everytime the axle went around. when it got worse after a few days of driving in the snow it would almost jerk the wheel out of my hands as it bound up. and IF his hubs were locked or stuck like most of the POS auto hubs it would jerk in both 2wd and 4wd if he had a bad cv or one that had crud in it from having a ripped boot.

Well what speed does the shimmy start at? Does it get worse the faster you go? Does it get better or worse with steering inputs to the left or right? Does it shimmy worse when you hit the brakes?

Honestly, just a generic "shimmy" leaves a lot of possibilities of what it could be.