Taking the dive - Transmission and Plugs

Kittamaru

Saturday, after my classes, my truck is getting some work done on it.

I currently have

Spark Plugs

Spark Plug Wires

Transmission Filter

Transmission Pan Gasket

External Transmission Cooler - 20,000 GVW

What I need:

Information

Transmission Fluid

I intend to drain and refill the transmission with cheap tranny fluid and run it a little to flush out as much @!*% as I can. Then I'll fill it with good, high-quality fluid.

Problem is... I don't recall WHAT kind of fluid we need... and the search function refuses to work at all. Was it GL-4 or GL-5? I know one eats brass, the other doesn't.

Anyway, case in point:

I'm thinking of going with Royal Purple or something akin to that - any suggestions on Transmission Fluid?

Also, is there anything in particular I need to know before I dive into this? I have a Haynes manual, but I know not to depend on that 100%. What tools will I need to do the plugs besides a ratchet+socket and extensions?

What tools do I need for the transmission pan and fluid change beyond sockets and wrenches and the obvious rag and catch pan?

Will I need to lift the vehicle considering I am running at stock height? I don't know if my belly will fit under it (yes, I have a bit of a gut, shut up :P) but yeah. Is there any good way to get ALL 9 quarts of tranny fluid out (t-case and t-converter included)? Or is it best just to drain what I can, re-fill, run, re-drain, and refill?

Do I need to do anything special to the gasket for the tranny pan?

Should/could I use breaker fluid to get the tranny-pan bolts out?

Anything else I'm missing?

Thanks yall! Friday I get my hair cut so it's not in my face, then Saturday, I take the dive!

Edited by Kittamaru

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If your truck is a manual its gl-4 or the gl-5 that is safe for synchros. If it's an auto, it takes dexron III. I can crawl under my truck fine at stock height and I'm not terribly thin either.

The manual I have says Dexron 2 - but yeah, it's an auto.

I forgot to mention - I also have an External transmission cooler (20,000 GVW) to install from Flex-A-Light.

I'm not going to the dealer - going to Advanced Auto - the guy i was talking to wasn't too sure what one I needed (and openly admitted it) but he knew the same thing I did - one of the two would work, the other would eat the brass. Just... neither of us knew which.

*laughs* Well, like I said - that's why I'm here - the computer said something he didn't think was right, but he didn't know what WAS right, and neither did I :)

What would you personally use GrimGreg?

Nissan recommends using Nissan Matic "D" ATF, but Dextron III/Mercon ATF or equivalent may also be used. BUT, like I said before, some Dex III is not good for it, one in particular is B&M Trick Shift (regularly a very good fluid), it can eat parts. I use the Nissan.

I don't really have a rough shifting problem - only occassionally from first to second if I've slowed down then accelerate hard... but that's very rare and I think it's more me pushing the truck harder (hey, you have an 18 wheeler nearly run you down :P)

Hm, greg, doing some searches I'm hearing the Nissan ATF has some shearing issues? *shrugs* Dunno what that means.

Anyway - that works for the good stuff. What would you recommend for the cheap stuff that's only going to be used during the flush? Some dexron 2?

Anyway - that works for the good stuff. What would you recommend for the cheap stuff that's only going to be used during the flush? Some dexron 2?

Generic Dextron/MerconIII should do fine (doubt you can find any II easily).

Aighty, well, I couldn't get the Nissan D Matic Fluid itself from the dealership (they "didn't have any for sale"... and wanted to charge an exorbinant amount to do it themselves) so I went to Advanced and got a Dexron 3 fluid that is comprable to Castrol products.

2 days left till I take the plunge!

I now have:

Tranny Fluid x4 Gallons

Tranny Pan Gasket x1

Tranny Filter x1

Tranny Cooler + mounting stuff

Spark Plugs x6

Spark Plug Wires x6

Jack Stands x 4

Jacks x2

Workspace - Heated

Tools (wrenches, sockets, deadblow hammer, rubber mallet, et al)

PB Blaster x1 can

I am slightly worried... the tranny cooler says to mount it via 4 nylon straps, 4 rubber spacers, and 4 nylon nuts... by pushing the straps between the fins on the cooler itself and then thru the rubber spacer, and then thru the radiator fins... then clamp it with the nylon nuts... any suggestions? Is this... standard?

I am slightly worried... the tranny cooler says to mount it via 4 nylon straps, 4 rubber spacers, and 4 nylon nuts... by pushing the straps between the fins on the cooler itself and then thru the rubber spacer, and then thru the radiator fins... then clamp it with the nylon nuts... any suggestions? Is this... standard?

No. That is crap, hokey, temp mounting.

Nothing that I would do on my vehicle!!

Fabing brackets is best, but using a rigid perforated metal strip (don't know the name) is cheap, easy and 10x better than nylon straps!! :blink:

B

The nylon ties are pretty standard using Aux coolers. Electric Fans are mounted in the same fashion. While they will work just fine, a lot of people including myself would like to see a more solid method of mounting them. The metal strips are a good idea. I used flat aluminum on my truck but that's a little different.

Yeah, i do have a heated garage :)

Any suggestions on what thickness to use to fab the brackets out of? Also, do I mount in front of or behind the main radiator?

Wish I could afford to do an e-fan swap while I was at it *shrugs*

Edited by Kittamaru

Any suggestions on what thickness to use to fab the brackets out of? Also, do I mount in front of or behind the main radiator?

1/16-1/8" should be ok, but I tend to lean towards overkill... :shrug:

Mount it in front of the radiator and off to one side.

B

Mount it in front of the radiator and off to one side.

B

And with you being in a cold climate, I would suggest the passenger side, since that is where the radiator inlet is. Thatway when it is cold, your tranny fluid will be able to scavange heat back from the radiator.

And with you being in a cold climate, I would suggest the passenger side, since that is where the radiator inlet is. Thatway when it is cold, your tranny fluid will be able to scavange heat back from the radiator.

I wouldn't say cold climate, more temperate... it goes down to around 0 in winter, and hits around 90-100 in summer *shrugs*

Though, I eventually plan to move to montanna :D