driving with a half-dead transmission?

battleax

Hey all,

So I think my transmission is getting ready to kick the bucket...two nights ago there was a clunk noise and I lost reverse, first and OD. Second and third still seem to do OK (in fact, did OK for another 20 miles.)

Problem is, I'm about 250 miles from home right now. Is it worth trying to get the pathfinder home over that distance or should I expect a total loss of gears in the nearer future? (This is a 1990, Auto, with 123k on the odo.)

Thanks for any opinions...

I'd be surprised if anyone says try for home.

Have you checked the fluid level? Could simply be that you are in limp mode. Try disconnecting the battery to reset the computer. It is a long shot though that this will fix the problem.

What gear were you in/what were you doing when the clunk happened? Did the engine rev up like it was in neutral suddenly? When you says "lost first" does than mean it starts out sluggish like it is in second?

Ok, I'm not the expert, but what you said happened is a major tranny failure. Normally R fails first and then other issues arise...

Usually this is due to failing parts/overheating-clogging/old fluid-sediment. All kinda inter related...

I wouldn't count on 250 miles straight driving to get home at all, but I've been wrong before. Try to meet a friend with a car hauler on the way... (or just have them pick you up)

Do you have an external (aftermarket) tranny cooler? If not that may be the problem as the stock radiator cooler tend to clog... It just might be age and wear.

Damn, I don't like these automagics, and I just bought one...

B

Thanks, bowtie.

Fluid is great, there is enough and the color is good. I've been in limp mode before, and if I remember correctly (besides the blinking E-AT button) the truck really didn't want to go above 2500 rpm or thereabouts...but I have no problem with revving in 3rd now. I was accelerating in OD at about 65mph when this happened...it just dropped into 3rd, no "neutral" high-revving.

She's been parked at a shop since Friday night, and if they don't try to reset the computer I guess I will. No stored codes.

ALSO: as all this was happening, the fuel warning light would flicker on and off with a 3/4 tank. What does THAT mean?

Precise: I've got two Hayden coolers. For all I know R went 30 miles before the rest of it did and I only noticed it missing when I parked and then tried to back up.

Edited by battleax

ALSO: as all this was happening, the fuel warning light would flicker on and off with a 3/4 tank. What does THAT mean?

:unsure: I dunno? An electrical short? Never heard of that one before...

This sounds more like internal damage, but I am no tran expert. I hope I am wrong. :(

Just a coincidence? I wouldn't try 250 miles personally. Mine went out a year ago with no signs at all, accelerating in 1st or 2nd and a zip noise and engine rev as if in neutral with coasting to find a place to pull over :ohno01:

That's an awful long ways stuck in second and third gear...if there are any back roads, I'd keep it in second and drive slow lol.

Though my buddy did blow the tranny in his Mustang the other night shifting from OD to D at a stoplight...BOOM. And that was all she wrote...

If you were up to it you could always try to limp it home, but I don't doubt you'd regret that decision if you end up stuck on the side of the road with a completely naded tranny.

• 3 years later...

I had a similar experience a few weeks ago. Certainly not the same cause though! (Filter was plumbed backward).

I was able to limp home around 35-40mph when mine blew. This was with my hazards on in a 75.... I only had about 20 miles to cover and I felt very relieved when she got me home. Once there I didn't trust it running to the store, let alone 200 more miles...