Steering leak

Nismojunky

my power steering box is leaking, where the pitman arm connects to it. im trying lucas stop steering leak right now. if that doesnt work someone suggested motor oil to help seal things up. do i have any other options other then replacing it?

You can get the seals, but it's not an easy job. The box would have to be removed, and the shaft removed from the steering box. There's (seemingly) thousands of little needle bearings that surround the shaft that like to fall out when you take the thing apart.

• 1 month later...
would motor oil be safe to try?

Motor oil is for engines.... power steering fluid is hydraulic fluid, basically the same as ATF just replace the darn box, 4 bolts, 2 hoses, a pitman arm and the rag joint and its out of there... my box is oozing from the input shaft seal plus it feels like im driving a ford with all that slop in the wheel. so mine is coming out real soon.

mine leaks too. i just got a box off a 91 in the junk yard and was gonna swap them, but first i was thinking of attempting :crossedwires: to do the 40 dollar rebuilt kit on my new one just for good measure. :handlebars: has anyone done it before? comments on the project?

i was told its really hard to rebuild them never tried