E-brake shoes

Legalalien

Hey everybody,

Has anybody fownd a cheaper alternative to replace them little E-brake shoes on the rear disk brakes? :scratchhead:

None of the local AP stores have them and the dealer whants $167.50+tax for the set. I ask because the shoes look allot like trailer brake shoes and I'm hoping that somebody else has done this before and can save me allot of reasearch time :sly:

brake shoes are like $15-$20 at napa... so $40 in shoes (i think they come in 2's)

if you need drums: they're like $75 a piece

so if htey're doing shoes and drums and that includes labor then you're getting a pretty damn good deal...if not do the work yourself and if the drums are good then just do your shoes...its not too difficult if your mechanically inclined

And a side note...the rear shoes arent just for the ebrake...so no i wouldnt recommend using trailer shoes...

Edited by unccpathfinder

nope, he's got disks in the back unc.

i have not found an alternative to a stealer. why do you need another set? they are very thin from the factory as they are t be used exclusively for parking or an emergency. they were not designed for anything else.

and the disc/e-drum combo is sky high too.

brake shoes are like $15-$20 at napa... so $40 in shoes (i think they come in 2's)

if you need drums: they're like $75 a piece

so if htey're doing shoes and drums and that includes labor then you're getting a pretty damn good deal...if not do the work yourself and if the drums are good then just do your shoes...its not too difficult if your mechanically inclined

And a side note...the rear shoes arent just for the ebrake...so no i wouldnt recommend using trailer shoes...

Thanks for the advice, :aok: I realy wish it was that simple and apologise if I didn't explain myself well enough; see my 91 came with disk brakes in the back from the factory,and some mechanical genius at Nissan desided that the brake and E-brake systems should be separate, so the rear rotors have two functions, the ouside calipers and pads only work with the brakes and there is a small drum in the center area of the rotor that looks like a 7 or 8 inch drum with small shoes wish only work with the E brake. those little shoes are the ones I was refering to. The local auto pts tell me they are a "dealer only" item hense the dealers $160.00+ tag (just for the shoes) :rant2: and there is the reason Im looking for a cheaper alternative.

nope, he's got disks in the back unc.

i have not found an alternative to a stealer. why do you need another set? they are very thin from the factory as they are t be used exclusively for parking or an emergency. they were not designed for anything else.

and the disc/e-drum combo is sky high too.

It looks like the previous owner drove the truck with the e brake on because the shoes are almost to the metal. Im sure that if I adjust them they will work but I dont whant to take the chance of messing up the rotors.

hey even then the brakes we're disconnected leaking fluid on the driveway... b/c i didnt wanna wear on the shoes at all ;):rolleyes:

LOL really? If your going to make a habbit of that just get front line-locks then you won't be using the back brakes when its turned on.

Has anybody fownd a cheaper alternative to replace them little E-brake shoes on the rear disk brakes?

None of the local AP stores have them and the dealer whants $167.50+tax for the set.

Holy jumping baby Jesus, Batman!! Thats insane!! $180 for parking brake shoes? Someone needs a beating!! P...

B

have you actually called them for this item? it is dealer only and i have never seen these shoes anywhere besides the dealer.

have you tried courtesy Nissan? they're about 1/4 the price of my local Nissan dealer and they have parts that the local Nissan dealer says are "not available" when i was in there picking up a part, they had some guy convinced he had to buy a whole door latch to get the little plastic tab that slides on the linkage from the lock cylinder, i found them at courtesy for less than $3 each. they charged the guy $148 to fix a $3 part.

LOL really? If your going to make a habbit of that just get front line-locks then you won't be using the back brakes when its turned on.

haha no i don't make it a habit that was the day before getting my new tires so we did all 4 tires really good and there were some long standing ones and I dindt want to run the risk of screwing up a drum or shoes so we just dumped brake fluid in the driveway and topped it off as necessary throughout the day....now when I get my chevelle she will have line locks but i think i've got a good 10 years or so before that happens

have you tried courtesy Nissan? they're about 1/4 the price of my local Nissan dealer and they have parts that the local Nissan dealer says are "not available"

I belive it was there or rockauto I got mine from, forget since then, was a fiew months ago(mine were completely missing on one side, PO thought he was a mechanic). I am almost sure it was under $100 as well(60-80 i think).

have you actually called them for this item? it is dealer only and i have never seen these shoes anywhere besides the dealer.

part number NB635 $19.99 (for my 95)

:shrug:

Edited by k9sar