Leak in power steering hose, need part # .. any ideas?

MadManMike

Hey guys,

So I am trying to pull into a parking spot at school yesterday and all the sudden I can't move my steering wheel and my engine starts smoking...

I instantly knew it was something to do with my power steering... Well now that I look it over the hose that comes off of the top of the power steering pump has a crack in it and was spraying fluid all over my engine.

So now I need a new hose, and was wondering.. Do I have to get the whole hose? or just the rubber part, because this hose is part rubber part metal.

Pictures for reference:

3078929190_4afc7a8c89_o.png

I couldn't find the part number in my manual.

Is this the correct one?

http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductDetail....artNumber=91857

Thanks guys,

-Mike

Well, the picture doesn't look the same, but the pictures aren't always accurate. As long as it is for the correct year, 3.0 liter V6 high pressure power steering line, I would assume that is it. Apparently you can have a new rubber section fitted on at a line/hydraulics shop, personally for $55 I wouldn't bother with the time and trouble. :shrug:

Hopefully it isn't as much of a PITA as the one I replaced in my D720 years ago. I had to remove a lot of things to get it in and clamped up without bending the crap out of it.

B

Well, the picture doesn't look the same, but the pictures aren't always accurate. As long as it is for the correct year, 3.0 liter V6 high pressure power steering line, I would assume that is it. Apparently you can have a new rubber section fitted on at a line/hydraulics shop, personally for $55 I wouldn't bother with the time and trouble. :shrug:

Hopefully it isn't as much of a PITA as the one I replaced in my D720 years ago. I had to remove a lot of things to get it in and clamped up without bending the crap out of it.

B

Hmm... yeah well if that's the case I will probably just buy the hose.

It looks like I am going to have to take out the Radiator to get it in... or at least the fan shroud and a few hoses. It made a beautiful mess of oil in my engine :ill:

If this car could run for 2 weeks with out having a major problem I would be happy.

-Mike

Edited by MadManMike

It looks like I am going to have to take out the Radiator to get it in... or at least the fan shroud and a few hoses.

The shroud for sure. Try taking off the front wheels and threading it in, not to mention it will give you better attack angles at clamps and whatnot.

If this car could run for 2 weeks with out having a major problem I would be happy.

You do seem to have more than your share, but most of it should have hopefully been dealt with by now? How many miles on the truck? Did the PO just never maintain it?

B

The shroud for sure. Try taking off the front wheels and threading it in, not to mention it will give you better attack angles at clamps and whatnot.

Good idea..

You do seem to have more than your share, but most of it should have hopefully been dealt with by now? How many miles on the truck? Did the PO just never maintain it?

B

Yeah I think most of it has been dealt with. At least most of the major issues (timing belt, exhaust manifolds, stripped out crank, shocks, radiator, starter), only 113K on the truck I bought the truck with lower miles hoping that it would have less problems :(

Still have the *click click click Start* ignition issue, and still hear a ticking coming from the engine (I am assuming it's the lifters).

And yeah some dumb kid owned it, his dad sold it to me. I don't think he cared much about maintenance, although when I bought it 2 years ago it was in good shape. Most of the stuff has happened since I owned it.

-Mike

B

Ummm, i've got another crazy suggestion. Cut out the cracked section, splice in a repair if possible. Piece of tubing with hose clamps might work. I accidentally nicked the aluminum part with a grinder a little while back (don't ask), and the parts guy at the dealer said that it wasn't under allot of pressure, just splice it. I ended up taking it off and welding it after all. But his advice would apply to your problem. Cut out the crap, find some tubing that you can stick into the two ends you've made, and hose clamps. Whala. I think...

Pete

Ummm, i've got another crazy suggestion. Cut out the cracked section, splice in a repair if possible. Piece of tubing with hose clamps might work. I accidentally nicked the aluminum part with a grinder a little while back (don't ask), and the parts guy at the dealer said that it wasn't under allot of pressure, just splice it. I ended up taking it off and welding it after all. But his advice would apply to your problem. Cut out the crap, find some tubing that you can stick into the two ends you've made, and hose clamps. Whala. I think...

Pete

Woah man don't go NUTS on us!

Okay I guess it's not that crazy of an idea.... :tongue:

Yeah i suppose I could... But then begs the question(s) Will it hold? Will it crack again in a different spot?

Might be a good temp fix until I have enough time off from school to replace it.

-Mike

Woah man don't go NUTS on us!

Okay I guess it's not that crazy of an idea.... :tongue:

Yeah i suppose I could... But then begs the question(s) Will it hold? Will it crack again in a different spot?

Might be a good temp fix until I have enough time off from school to replace it.

-Mike

I figure it's worth a try. Can't get any worse than it is now ( :hide: tempting gods), and it might be a cheap fix. If you fear the hose is suspect in other areas, cut out as much as you can.

good luck, let us know if it works.

Pete

Mike, as I understand it, your leak is in the rubber/flex section. No, I wouldn't try to patch that at all. When the rubber is shot, that's it...

IF it was in the metal line part as Pete suggested, then sure, a patch job might work for a long time!!

So, where is the leak? In the rubber or the metal section?

B

Mike, as I understand it, your leak is in the rubber/flex section. No, I wouldn't try to patch that at all. When the rubber is shot, that's it...

IF it was in the metal line part as Pete suggested, then sure, a patch job might work for a long time!!

So, where is the leak? In the rubber or the metal section?

B

Rubber...

I actually cut the broken spot out on mine and spliced it back together with a 1/2" brass dual barb fitting and 2 hose clamps. (This after I replaced my original leaking hose/line combo with one from the JY that also sprung a leak.) I did that in July, and no leak since.

hi mike-if it's the high pressure hose, yes, it's recommended to replace the entire hose. I just did it a few weeks back on my 1992 pathy. Here's what I did:

-drained the p/s tank

-remove fan shroud (I had to take the fan clutch out, but others say you can finesse it out)

-remove the hose clamps

-loosen the bolt to the p/s switch, then remove the banjo bolts, they are 15/16" size

Then I reattached the line, but not too tight first so I could get the clamps lined up first and tightened. I was pretty easy. Bleeding it was a breeze too. - julie

I actually cut the broken spot out on mine and spliced it back together with a 1/2" brass dual barb fitting and 2 hose clamps. (This after I replaced my original leaking hose/line combo with one from the JY that also sprung a leak.) I did that in July, and no leak since.

Tried to use the 1/2" but it was to big... I don't think I could even jam it in.

I am just going to buy a new hose probably... I should have time to install it this weekend.

-Mike

part number#7-2091 from napa auto "be force full when talking to them they seem to have a hard time understanding anything "

runs you 81.77 +tax

NO and i repeat NO you can not replace the high P/S hose with clamps and a hose ... you your going to get a big pop sound and alot of P/S

fluid everywhere speaking from personal events :P

part number#7-2091 from napa auto "be force full when talking to them they seem to have a hard time understanding anything "

runs you 81.77 +tax

NO and i repeat NO you can not replace the high P/S hose with clamps and a hose ... you your going to get a big pop sound and alot of P/S

fluid everywhere speaking from personal events :P

See :shrug: . Told you it might be :crazy:.

runs you 81.77 +tax

Yeah, when I go to NAPA I go to the distributor warehouse (huge place). When they tell you "We don't have that in stock I am going to have to order it" this is where it comes from. And everyone there knows what they are talking about.

See :shrug: . Told you it might be :crazy:.

At least you warned me...

-Mike

Edited by MadManMike

Tried to use the 1/2" but it was to big... I don't think I could even jam it in.

I am just going to buy a new hose probably... I should have time to install it this weekend.

-Mike

I bought 5/8" and 1/2" when I did mine, the 1/2" was almost loose, and the 5/8" was too big. So I went with the 1/2".

fluid everywhere speaking from personal events

What kind of new hose did you try to add into the mix? I cut out about 2" out of the hose in the middle then reconnected the cut ends with a barbed fitting, no issues.

I bought 5/8" and 1/2" when I did mine, the 1/2" was almost loose, and the 5/8" was too big. So I went with the 1/2".

What kind of new hose did you try to add into the mix? I cut out about 2" out of the hose in the middle then reconnected the cut ends with a barbed fitting, no issues.

the there is a low/high line , I know you can replace the low one with a rubber hose and clamps ; BUT the high pressure line you can't due to the fact its

under pressure , unless you wield a new line to the old waste of time if you do .

none the less buy new or go to a junk yard .

Power steering fluid in these trucks is ATF...Hopefully someone will chime in and correct me if need be. But that's what I topped mine up with and it's fine.

yep, the manual calls for dextron ATF for the power steering. My local napa and autozone didn't carry it, finally found it at walmart. It was the dextron III/mercon ATF.