Lifters or manifold

Kingman

This is the 4th time this has happened, but coming off of the freeway and slowing down to a stop, there is a LOUD ticking noise that sounds extremely tinny. From about 3000 rpms down it ticks (or at least thats when i can hear it over my exhaust and general engine noise), sounds like its coming from the passenger side of the engine bay. It's engine speed relative, too. At a stop, it will be tick tick tick tick tick very slow paced.

When I accelerate the ticking gets faster, then at about 2500 rpms or a few (five maybe) seconds, it disappears. It doesn't really fade away either, it just stops ticking.

It does this about once a month usually less, its so weird.

The engine clatters for a second or two at start up in the mornings, but not a noise one after that.

Could this be exhaust backpressure on the manifold?

A lifter starting to go?

Both?

Yeah, sounds like a lifter to me. If it was the manifold, it would louder when cold. As it heats up, it will quiet down a bit. Of course, the worse it gets, the louder it will stay. Have you changed the oil recently and on time? You could try getting the engine flushed or buy some over the counter flush just before you change your oil (some here like Seafoam, but there are others). If it is the lifters, you said its on the passenger side and thats the easy side!

Yeah, sounds like a lifter to me. If it was the manifold, it would louder when cold. As it heats up, it will quiet down a bit. Of course, the worse it gets, the louder it will stay. Have you changed the oil recently and on time? You could try getting the engine flushed or buy some over the counter flush just before you change your oil (some here like Seafoam, but there are others). If it is the lifters, you said its on the passenger side and thats the easy side!

It's due for an oil change in about 300 miles.

I've been eyeballing the seafoam, but im a little worried im totally going to mess something up! lol

Yeah, its doing it almost all the time now getting off the freeway. It's especially noticeable when I let off the gas (so the compression and momentum is driving the engine)

Is it weird that the engine is still running perfectly smooth?

*sigh*

How hard is this to do?

Edited by kingman92010

It's due for an oil change in about 300 miles.

I've been eyeballing the seafoam, but im a little worried im totally going to mess something up! lol

Most engine cleaners are a pour in deal. Pretty hard to screw it up.

Yeah, its doing it almost all the time now getting off the freeway. It's especially noticeable when I let off the gas (so the compression and momentum is driving the engine)

Is it weird that the engine is still running perfectly smooth?

*sigh*

How hard is this to do?

Well, its a hydraulic lift and it doesnt hold oil. Yes, it should run close to normal, but can create issues if you leave it that was for too long.

How hard is what to do?

Most engine cleaners are a pour in deal. Pretty hard to screw it up.

Well, its a hydraulic lift and it doesnt hold oil. Yes, it should run close to normal, but can create issues if you leave it that was for too long.

How hard is what to do?

How long can I leave it for? I'm not trying to neglect my truck, but honestly I have other issues...

How hard is it to replace the lifters?

How long can I leave it for? I'm not trying to neglect my truck, but honestly I have other issues...

How hard is it to replace the lifters?

It may run for quite some time as it, or it could damage something tomorrow. My hardbody pickup does the same thing now and again. The previous owner didnt maintain it very well. I performed a enigne flush and been changing the oil every 3500 miles. Get some cleaner, put it in, let it run for 30 minutes, then change the oil. Hopefully that will buy you some time.

the lifters are not that hard. Well, the right side is easy cause nothing is in your way. Remove the valve cover and removed the lifter mount bolts, then remove the lifters. soak the new lifters in oil, then install.

the lifters are not that hard.

Says the mechanic :tongue:

Yeah, sounds like a lifter to me. If it was the manifold, it would louder when cold.

I have a ticking noise as well... And I a pretty sure it's a lifter... but it seems to be louder when cold and then once it warms up it stops ticking.

Just thought that was noteworthy... or maybe my manifold studs are shot again...

-Mike

It may run for quite some time as it, or it could damage something tomorrow. My hardbody pickup does the same thing now and again. The previous owner didnt maintain it very well. I performed a enigne flush and been changing the oil every 3500 miles. Get some cleaner, put it in, let it run for 30 minutes, then change the oil. Hopefully that will buy you some time.

the lifters are not that hard. Well, the right side is easy cause nothing is in your way. Remove the valve cover and removed the lifter mount bolts, then remove the lifters. soak the new lifters in oil, then install.

Yeah, like i said I want to try Seafoam. If I want to attend the lifters and what not, its directly into the oil right, and if i want to tend to the intake and pistons and what not, I suck it in through a vacuum line from the brake booster, right?

Yeah, like i said I want to try Seafoam. If I want to attend the lifters and what not, its directly into the oil right, and if i want to tend to the intake and pistons and what not, I suck it in through a vacuum line from the brake booster, right?

Pretty much...

Be careful when sucking it in... I have never done it but have heard of people causing vapor locks because of sucking it in. If you do a search (maybe you already have) there are a ton of posts on seafoam.

And I am sure someone more knowledgeable than me will chime in soon.

-Mike

are you sure it's not leaky exhaust manifold???

Yeah, I could hear it ticking from the valve cover on the passenger side. It never ticked when its cold either, other than a second or two at most which stopped suddenly when the fluid got to it.

My oil was ugly as hell when it came out though, good grief

The easy fixes are the best!! Amazing what a little (clean) oil will do for a motor, eh? :D

B

Yes sir.The drive to school this morning was silent as well :D

^hope it stays that way...maybe you had some sludge in there?

It's amazing how sensitive our engines are to oil. My mechanic put color dye in mine to try to trace down a leak. The lifters didn't like that and it ticked like hell all time (hot or cold) until I put fresh oil in. I'm now due for another oil change in about 150miles and it's a little noise on startup.

Also, my dad can neglect his dakota for 10K before oil changes and it doesn't mind. :tongue:

^hope it stays that way...maybe you had some sludge in there?

It's amazing how sensitive our engines are to oil. My mechanic put color dye in mine to try to trace down a leak. The lifters didn't like that and it ticked like hell all time (hot or cold) until I put fresh oil in. I'm now due for another oil change in about 150miles and it's a little noise on startup.

Also, my dad can neglect his dakota for 10K before oil changes and it doesn't mind. :tongue:

Thanks. Still been silent for the most part. Our temps here are swooping into the mid-high 20's at night, so its sort of starting to tick a little right at start up. Not anywhere near as bad as it was before, though.

Right now I have Pennzoil 5W-30 in there, before that was argh....Castrol 10W-40.

Same with my old 1993 explorer my dad gave me, he lost his job a long while back and neglected the thing for about 20,000 miles. 13,000 of that was on the same oil...should be a record or something. Still ran like a champ, started first crank, never ticked, smoked, or anything. Even though during this time it overheated at least 20 times because he never replaced the radiator. Finally, when he got enough money, he put upwards of $1000 into it, and she ran great. I drove it for almost a year, but the brakes were starting to go which ended up putting me into a guardrail on the first rain of the season. Sold it at 220,000 miles and still ran as strong as when he bought it with 79,000 miles in 1999. My dad drove it hard, and never really gave any problems, besides a fuel pump relay ($13), 4x4 was glitchy, and the overheating issues. I think we got one of the better batches Ford made

Here she is with 219k on the clock, AFTER I hit the guardrail

100_1991.jpg

I do miss the interior, which was near perfect as well

100_2001.jpg

Edited by kingman92010

Dads :laugh:

Mine was neglectful even before his dakota. He had a 87 Mazda B2000 and as far as I know, he NEVER changed the oil. Just added some when the light came on. The damn thing ran on to 205K before it gave up the ghost. :D

Edited by jpawela

My dad took such good care of his 93 pathy oil wise, but with his r50, holy crap, he left the same oil in there for 20,000kms!! It was synthetic, and I changed it because I was so unimpressed, but it came out pretty clear for how long it was in there.

My 95 taps at start up for like 2 seconds as well. I think it's normal when these motors get older. And you're right, a good oil keeps it away.

Dads :laugh:

Mine was neglectful even before his dakota. He had a 87 Mazda B2000 and as far as I know, he NEVER changed the oil. Just added some when the light came on. The damn thing ran on to 205K before it gave up the ghost. :D

Haha yeah, dads. I remember my dad's old '84 S10 durango 2.8. 486,000 miles, all original for the most part. Oh yeah, that's when the odo stopped working, then add 5 years of hard driving to that =P. It did like starters though, which were a B!TCH to replace! Thing burned so much oil, he never had to change his either. He would put about a quart a month or more into it. Had that truck for eons, I think since the late 80's.

Traded it for a trailer to haul some stuff in, still ran haha.

Poor truck was so tired when he got rid of it. And, no matter where you were, it was always going 55 mph.

Now he's got an '01 F150, which he vowed to take care of...yeah, right. He abuses that thing now too!

Edited by kingman92010

I'm quite satisfied with the Seafoam. My oil pressure has gradually increased and now sits around 60 instead of barely reaching the first line on the dial. To me this is exciting.

See See! That's just mulling around town, nothing really exciting

12-07-08_1845.jpg