stock headlight replacement options?

bitemedoughboy.com

does anyone else on here besides myself have a problem with the stock headlights breaking alot while wheeling? ( by wheeling i dont mean driving through puddles in the road). im on my 2nd or 3rd headlights on both sides the plastic tabs keep breaking off the headlights.... has anybody replaced them with say a GM or Heep rectangular headlight? something thats made out of metal?

are you running into things that are breaking them? or are you saying just the vibration is enough to stress the tabs? basically I have never had that problem (always had a brush guard and now an ARB)

if your stock bumper isn't tight enough, it can come up and smack your lights pretty hard without you knowing it.

the problem is they bounce around on the rocky and washboard roads and the mounts get loose and then break, the ball end of the screws come out of the upper mounts then the rest break off real soon after that.

If you want the cheap squares, do a Hardbody conversion.

dont the hardbody's and the pathfinders have the same lights?

I think only some 86 and 87s had Pathy style lights, the rest were plain jane squares.

i pulled one of my lights off a '92, and the parts places list them from 87-93 as being the same unit, i did some searching on ebay and found the 5x7 generic lights for the hardbody... does anybody around here have any hardbody headlight frames for sale?

Both my plastic tabs broke and causing the headlights to bounce around and point random directions. I zip tied them in place and they haven't moved since besides minute little movements, which would probably reduce stress a little :shrug:

Both my plastic tabs broke and causing the headlights to bounce around and point random directions. I zip tied them in place and they haven't moved since besides minute little movements, which would probably reduce stress a little :shrug:

ive done that also, even rtv'd the balls in so they would rattle....

Both my plastic tabs broke and causing the headlights to bounce around and point random directions. I zip tied them in place and they haven't moved since besides minute little movements, which would probably reduce stress a little shrug.gif

never had the problem of them breaking but my 87 hit a deer b4 I got it and the right headlight has all but 1 tab busted on it...i used zipties and duct tape as spacers to get the alignment correct and kept it like that for 3 or so years before finally replacing the unit but I've never had a problem with them breaking...

the HB conversion is an option and I'm sure you could make another model light work with some fabrication of brackets and what not

if hitting brush and what not is a problem you could also build/buy a brushguard with headlight halo's

never had the problem of them breaking but my 87 hit a deer b4 I got it and the right headlight has all but 1 tab busted on it...i used zipties and duct tape as spacers to get the alignment correct and kept it like that for 3 or so years before finally replacing the unit but I've never had a problem with them breaking...

the HB conversion is an option and I'm sure you could make another model light work with some fabrication of brackets and what not

if hitting brush and what not is a problem you could also build/buy a brushguard with headlight halo's

i think im going to go the HB route, they use the same 5x7's that the heeps use, and there are a lot of aftermarket lenses and bulbs for them. i was thinking the 55w/100w bulbs eventually. i don't know if they're legal in Washington or not, but i know a lot of the heeps have them and get away with it.