Smaller Wheels- Will They Fit?

01silvapathy

So, I went to Discount Tire the other day to inquire on some new wheels and tires. I was talking to the guy there and we got into the discussion of wheel size. He asked what size wheels I have right now, and I said 16's- (01 LE double tri spoke), and that i was looking at getting 15's. He immediatly said no you cant do that! I was shocked, if im not mistaken, alot of people here are running 15's. He said that they WILL NOT mount or install the wheels if they are smaller then stock, as they willl not clear the factory brakes and its "not dealer reccomended" lol.

So my question is can I use 15 inch wheels, or am I mistaken?

I like the tons of ruber look...

anyway you coulda asked him to prove it. It takes no time to remove a wheel and take a 15 off the shelf and see if it clears the brakes. you don't even have to bolt it up so theres no chance in scaring thier new merchendise.

allowy 15" generally cost less (they cost less than alloy 14" to extend my point) so if a guy wants to give that line and not prove it chances are he wants to sell you a more expensive wheel.

Thanks for the advise, espically how he may be trying to get me to buy a more expensive wheel- (Cheap Punk) lol

I think that i might just go there and ask then to try and fit a 15 inch wheel on it, if they wont then i will just go somehwere else like 4 Wheel Parts or something, which im sure will be more supportive then Discount Tire

yeh, they don't even need to mount a tire to prove brake clearance and then you have a solid yes or know in less than 20 min.

haggle em a little too, theres a coulple of stoies on here of ppl talking dscount tire pices down with little effort.

Edited by MY1PATH

Most 15" rims will fit on a 99.5 onwards R50, especially steel rims. I had a brake caliper clearance problem on a set of 15 " Mitsubishi factory alloy rims I was considering buying. The problem with these rims was that they where heavy duty and had a thick alloy centre.

I presently have a set of 15"BFGs play tyres mounted on a set of aftermarket alloy rims and have no clearance problems. Getting the right offset is important.

IMHO, I think 15" wheels are better offroad as rubber side wall flexs much easier than metal rim. So the more rubber side wall you have, helps improve wheel/ suspension travel especially when lower pressures are being used.

Geoff

Edited by Geoff57

I let you guys know if 15s will fit or not, I just order 15" rims and 32" BFG A/T at discount Friday, I've having them put on tomorrow, since the tires weren't in stock. The 15" rim are the unique 297 series with the -12 off set and the person that help me, didn't think that I'll have a problem. hopefully those tires are there first thing in the morning, so that I can tell you if they fit or not, because they are having a tent sale that end tomorrow and I save myself a $100 in which came out to be $978.00, so hopefully you can get in on the deal. Also my pathfinder is a 2001.

David

I let you guys know if 15s will fit or not, I just order 15" rims and 32" BFG A/T at discount Friday, I've having them put on tomorrow, since the tires weren't in stock. The 15" rim are the unique 297 series with the -12 off set and the person that help me, didn't think that I'll have a problem. hopefully those tires are there first thing in the morning, so that I can tell you if they fit or not, because they are having a tent sale that end tomorrow and I save myself a $100 in which came out to be $978.00, so hopefully you can get in on the deal. Also my pathfinder is a 2001.

David

That would be mucho appreciated, since I was looking into getting the same exact rims!, and your rig is the same year, its like our two pathys will be twins lol

And put up pics!!, I bet everyone would love to see how they look

Well I just got back from discount and they fit perfect, with of coarse the typical rubbing , sorry I haven't taken any pictures yet. So go and tell that guy to test fit them, like they did at my discount tires.

David

Thats good to hear, now I have ammo to shot at the guy when I go back lol

And David, when you say rubbing you mean with the tires right? Not the wheels themselves.

The rubbing is off the tire, in which I'm going take a propane torch the section and heat it up, so that I could push the plastic back, where it's rubbing and also I hear a little rubbing on the left side, with the rim hitting the brake caliper bracket, I'm going to take the grinder to the area that rubbing, in which isn't bad, it's in a small spot, sounds like a rock stuck in the tire or hopefully it just wear out, because the other side isn't making any noise. drove 60 miles today, so I hope that helps. :D

David

Edited by Thunderbolt

Thats a good idea you have there david, just heat the plastic enough so that it bends, I would have just cut it out lol

And let me know how it goes with the wheels, Im looking at getting them in december, when I get my 6 inch lift, but im going to get 33 inch km2's due to the subframe drop :tonguefinger: Its gonna be sweet

Oh and PICS!!!

Update on the wheel touching the caliper. The noise was at a low speed when I notice it. Now the noise is gone and I did nothing to fix the problem, even though the 15" rim are pretty close tolerance to the caliper, they will work. Now all I have to do is fix the rubbing with the tire hitting the inside wheel cover.

David

Edited by Thunderbolt

Most 15" rims will fit on a 99.5 onwards R50, especially steel rims. I had a brake caliper clearance problem on a set of 15 " Mitsubishi factory alloy rims I was considering buying. The problem with these rims was that they where heavy duty and had a thick alloy centre.

I think that is the key... I had a set of older 15" R50 rims that wouldn't fit my truck (as the calipers are bigger on 99.5+ years). I have however fit a set of 15" AR steelies. (although I never did drive with them, I have a set of 16's, I simply wanted to know if the fit.

Thanks for all the advise everyone, though since David got the same wheels Im getting and he's got the same year pathy I just got the same wheesl- hey there cheap :tongue: cant go wrong lol. Anyways I ordered them and a set of 33 inch BFG KM2's today so its all good they will go on as soon as the lift is done this christmas break!

Cant Wait :jig:

Where are you getting that lift at or are you customizing it. Maybe down the road I'll do that, when I have a new every day driver. Oh, with that 6" lift you could put 35" on like Tmorgon4 did with his pathy. I've seen that pathy in person few months back and it was sick. Now that he did the SAS on it with 3 link and putting on 37", it's going to be real sick when he is finished with it.

David

Where are you getting that lift at or are you customizing it. Maybe down the road I'll do that, when I have a new every day driver. Oh, with that 6" lift you could put 35" on like Tmorgon4 did with his pathy. I've seen that pathy in person few months back and it was sick. Now that he did the SAS on it with 3 link and putting on 37", it's going to be real sick when he is finished with it.

David

...not to mention the VH45 swap. That R50 is a god in my eyes :aok:

True that I pretty much fainted when I saw the pics and Video of his Beast! Anyways yeah I have some connections for the lift, I sent the money today to get it and should have it within two weeks or so, and am going to make a video/slideshow about the install, and will post it when the lift is completed. And about the tire size true that I could fit up tp 35's but they are much more expensive, and me being a college student, I have like next to no money lol, so yeah and Less modifications with the wheel wells

LOL, spread the lift yeah I dont know once its installed I will see about that, I dont know if he wants to or not.

Time will Tell ;)

im sure the interest would be there....good luck with the install and take lots of pics so others can get ideas if they go the custom route...

btw: did you get yours from Tyler since he has the SAS now?