97 pathfinder LE

95pathyLE

I've noticed the same too... If the tranny is cold (except in summer), 1st->2nd shift is always a bid hard; the rest are like butter. Once it warms up though, it's all gravy.

Maybe a tranny flush and then throw in some Posi-trak? My buddy's '98 had that issue: he flushed it, refilled it and added Posi-trak, and now it shifts without a hitch. His tranny has well over 300k where mine only has 168k and his shifts as nicely as mine does.

I have a 1998, and had the exact same problem. I just flushed my transmission oil with genuine Nissan ATF, no more than 2 hours ago, and the problem is gone. Dealer doesn't recommend adding any additives, so that's up to you.

I don't think it is a "problem" i just think thats the way it is...Dean or someone of the like correct me if im wrong

Well, seeing as how it forces itself into second gear and now it doesn't, under my ideology I would consider that a problem. If it was meant to be that way, it wouldn't have gone away. Correct?

Other possible scenario; it now shifts smoothly into second gear, which is a problem. I should consider paying a visit to the local stealership, to further investigate the situation. Correct?

Just some info on this tranny issue... I spoke to my friend who's also a Nissan mechanic, and he mentioned this issue to be pretty common with the first-gen R50 tranny. Specifically around 180,000-200,000 km (110,000-120,000 miles?) is when this tends to occur. It isn't so much an issue as it is an annoyance. But it should be monitored because if it worsens (i.e., shifts become harder and/or louder) it should be checked.

There was a post around somewhere saying if the trans doesn't shift properly before warmed up it means the wrong (I.e. not nissan) fluid is being used.

That's with the manual tranny. Has nothing to do with the auto.

Guys, there is an old TSB out there for this. This is a natural characteristic of the 1st R50's, that was corrected in later years. Warm and cold will change the problem, but not fix it. If you are a little heavier on the go pedal, it won't do it either correct? This is due to its valve body, but changes based on fluids, heat of fluid, and driving style--they all do it from 96-through somewhere in 99.

If you really want to change this characteristic, get a shift kit and this will modify everything---*IF* I remember correctly the Trans-Go kit even states it will smooth out 1st -2nd while firming up every other shift!

That's with the manual tranny. Has nothing to do with the auto.

Automatic transmission: If the transmission does not shift properly until warmed up, make sure it is filled only with Nissanmatic "C" transmission fluid. (1990-95)

http://consumerguideauto.howstuffworks.com...athfinder-6.htm

I know it says 90-95 but maybe it's the same problem rearing it's ugly head again...