2002 Pathfinder - 1 year of ownership review

BowTied

This is my one year review of owning a pathfinder (first pathy here). Previous to this, I have owned exclusively GM vehicles. Despite my wife inheriting a 95 Sentra a few years ago, when it came to buy a 4 door vehicle (family in the works), I wasn't thinking pathy at all, but here is the story.

I had (still have) a '99 Jimmy 4x4. It was the primary vehicle for our household. A great truck in many aspects, but had some issues. It had been reasonably good to me considering the mileage, but there were a number of things that broke that in my mind should not have (seat handles, HVAC door, and a long list of other parts wearing out early) and this started me considering an import, primarily a Toyota 4 Runner. Based on the max mileage I would buy in a used vehicle, the 4 Runners were on average $5k over budget. So I started looking around at Envoys and didn't feel great about those. Eventually I settled on the pathy since it got slightly better fuel economy and power vs a 4 Runner for a lot less dough. I decided on a 2002 or new due to the grille design, as the 01s had a couple of small issues the 02's didn't (I forget, I think something about the tailgate). I also decided on the LE - with a family the easier to clean leather seats were desirable as well as a few other goodies. The following is rough comparison of the new to me pathy against my Jimmy. This is not a very good or scientific comparison, but might help others who would shop for R50 if they were previously a GM owner.

The qualifiers: The Jimmy is an SLS model, and the pathy the LE model - a comparatively higher model. The pathy had 110k kms on it when I got it, the Jimmy more than double that. Since then, we have logged ~11k additional kms on the pathy and slightly more on the Jimmy.

Where the Pathy wins

-The R50 is WAY quieter ride than the Jimmy for a couple reasons. #1 the R50 is a uni-body construction. #2 the design fit and install of the Jimmy interior is terrible, lots of squeaks and rattles. Same goes for ride quality.

-Exterior styling - This gen R50 was released in 2000, where as the Jimmy was barely changed other than headlights from it's introduction in 95 through to it's demise in 2005. That said, I do like it's styling, just older.

-General fit and finish and design: When working under the hood, other than some tight spaces it just became obvious there was more forethought into some assembly items, like the upper intake plenum having the outer 4 fasteners as studs for easy alignment. The Jimmy often has stacked brackets, fasteners that are longer than necessary. The Pathy also made good use of little storage spaces, has a 12V power outlet in the console and the rear hatch area.

-The VQ engine had been on the Ward's top 10 engines list for several years. A real plus (but see below about the power valve screws).

- 2 vs. 1 trip odometers..

- Power - the pathy has more horse and I think more torque. However, it feels like these are in a higher RPM range than Jimmy's peak numbers and is likely due to the Jimmy have more displacement (4.3L vs. 3.5L).

-Throttle response - a bit better than the Jimmy.

-factory gearing - the Jimmy axles are 3.42 vs. the 4.36s in the pathy which I think is a benefit for crawling.

-rear 60/40 seats recline backward - the Jimmy 50/50 seats do not (this could be available on the 4 door jimmy?)

- E-brake - I like the hand lever better than the foot pedal, personally preference.

- Overdrive control - I like the push button control vs. the gear shift lever for this.

- front seatbelts - the shoulder belt is height adjustable in the pathy

Where the Jimmy wins

-Headroom - at 6'1" the pathy is low headroom. I have the power seat all the way down and back, and tilted some - I wish it would go a bit more. I don't wear hats often, but won't in the pathy. If I was 6'3", I'd likely not be comfortable in a R50. Jimmy has ample room. This also goes for the tail gate - it will take the top off of your skull on level ground when open. The Jimmy (rear glass has more clearance and has drop tailgate (nice for lumber etc. that is longer than the bed).

-Gauges - Why a top of the line pathy doesn't have more gauges is beyond me, the Jimmy gauges are perfect for what I like.

-Tilt steering wheel - the pathy doesn't have a tilt wheel, it has a tilt column with this stupid lever under the column. Horrible waste of time, thankfully wife is tall or that would be a huge pita adjusting it all the time. The Jimmy has a tilt wheel with a lever on the side of the column that is easy to use daily and has a much larger range of motion. Makes getting in and out easier too.

-Under hood light- the LE model as the top of the line pathy should have this IMO. It should also have hood struts, but I can let that ride, the Jimmy doesn't either.

-Rear glass - unless I don't know the trick, I have to use the keys to open the rear glass and in doing so lock all the doors. The jimmy I just push the lock button to pop the glass.

-Map lights - this might be picky, but the map lights in the pathy shine in the drivers face too much, even the passenger side. The Jimmy map lights in the RV mirror shine only downward which is much nicer.

- Factory front tow hooks - the Pathy tow hooks look gimpy compared to the beefy hooks of the Jimmy, and you are not even supposed to use the driver side one on the pathy (wtf?)

-rear seats fold flat - while both trucks have this feature, the Jimmy's headrests automatically flip back whereas the pathy's headrests must be manually removed and stored somewhere.

- oil changes - on the pathy I have to remove a bunch of screws to remove the lower plastic cover. There is also this cover on the Jimmy, but has a single fastener, trap door access.

-cup holders - the Jimmy has better location, are slightly deeper, and have rubber inserts in them that hold drinks better.

-sun visors - The Jimmy has the extenders for covering the full side windows.

Where they are very comparable:

- Towing - both are rated to 5k lbs. I found the jimmy hits its torque a bit sooner in the RPM band, so for slow towing and maneuvering, I liked it just a little bit better. When I tow a heavier load, I do not use OD to save wear on the trans – at highway speeds this means the pathy is revving much higher (~3k at 55). It can likely take the higher revs better than a Jimmy would so I am not too worried about it either way.

- 4x4 - both have electronically controlled transfer cases with an auto selection. The pathy has a rotating selector switch down low on the dash; the Jimmy has push buttons up higher. Both seem equally capable in snowy roads.

- Sound system - both have factory CD/tape deck system and the sound is comparable. They pathy wins with have a 6 disk changer, but I hear they break often (ours still working, fingers crossed).

- The spare tire underneath the pathy is a pita to access when you need it compared to the tire carrier on the Jimmy - but it is never in the way on a day to day basis.

- Both have automatic headlights. I dislike that the pathy's lights stay on after the ignition is off, but I can turn them off manually where as the Jimmy's auto feature cannot be disabled (without mods).

I think the reliability will be better in the pathy. Overall it is, and it would be hands down if not for the power valve screw issue. The Jimmy may have a lot of stuff break, but catastrophic engine failure is not something they are known for or that I take lightly. I am just lucky to have found out about this issue early. I discovered it after I bought the truck (figured Wards top 10 was a safe bet) and had I discovered this earlier, I might not have bought a pathy. Knowing what I know now, the effort to deal with it was not that much for me and I now wouldn't let that stop me.

Overall we are very happy with our pathy, it serves our purposes well. Hope you found something there worthwhile.

Edited by BowTied

-Tilt steering wheel - the pathy doesn't have a tilt wheel, it has a tilt column with this stupid lever under the column. Horrible waste of time, thankfully wife is tall or that would be a huge pita adjusting it all the time

I never understood that either, the wd21 pathfinders, have a sweet one that has a billion positions, my fathers 2000 r50 has the same crappy lever that barely moves it anyways.

Rear glass - unless I don't know the trick, I have to use the keys to open the rear glass and in doing so lock all the doors.

Another thing I never understood about the r50s either, the wd21s have a button in the cab to pop it up. Also I "think" the key less for it could open it too, I may be wrong though.

As for a reliability comparison, my grandfathers neighbor, had a 96 blazer, same thing, and my father had a 93 pathfinder and then the 2000. Steve (the neighbor) said he put over 10 grand into his blazer, saying that almost every major component had been replaced, some things twice (the a/c). He bought it brand new too. He ended up selling it for 500 bucks last year with 160,000kms and not a spot of rust...And bought a 2008 pathy :) . My father on the other hand, paid 10 grand for the 93 pathy, and put only tires, oil, gas, and brakes into it. And he gave it to me at 300,000kms. The r50 he bought 3 years ago, and the only problem we've had with it was the fuel filler tube leaked, but turns out it was a recall anyways. Oh and the rear shocks wore out. (Whatever, a set of Monroe's from Canadian tire fixed that, he doesn't wheel)

Very well written comparison :clap:

Edited by redfinder

Im sure the late late model r50s have the button to pop the rear glass. I know the Qx4s come with it standard. In my opinion i like the tilt steering wheel column more then just the tilt wheel. This is just me but i'd rather have the whole column move up and down then just the steering wheel it makes it more comfortable. for me at least. :) I always like the wheel angled

There are many goodies the North American models never had but came standard on most JDM models. I'm not sure why this is but keep in mind they are available and are pretty much direct bolt-ons. The Jimmy doesn't have such an option.

Good comparison on two similarly-classed vehicles. I had the opportunity to own both and I must say I'm all for the Japanese workmanship. The little details and the added creature comforts are what sell me, not to mention the purely genuine effort put into their automotive manufacturing.

Edited by tekazgtr1984

Very interesting - can you elaborate?

LOL, gladly! :D

The JDM R50 Terrano came with digital auto-climate control, electronic rear-glass switch/actuator, HID/projector headlights with self-adjusting foglights, a 3.2L Neo-Di diesel engine option, electronic folding mirrors (most JDM vehicles come with this standard). The R50 Terrano Regulus (Infiniti QX4) had all these same features but had All-Mode standard from 98-04 and rear LSD standard (optional for the Terrano).

Through Nissan, other optional parts included vent visors (over-sized and nasty I find), OEM hood deflector, rear back-up mirror, and OEM grill/bumper guard with light mounts.

My research is still in progress; I'll update when I've come across new info.

Lucky Japanese, keeping all the goodies to themselves!

Wow! That is great to get those things without having to get the premium model. My Jimmy being the middle model offered does not have those. Now, had I got the SLT, then the climate control, leather etc. would have come with.

Still baffles me though that the LE R50 I have didn't come with a button to pop the rear glass and my Jimmy did.

Didn't know that the Automode started in '98, cool. The Jimmy Auto mode started in '99, but I think was optional on the base model.

Yeah, makes me wonder why none of these were ever available in North America, or at least on the LE model. I think it was a bad move by Nissan to not include these in their non-JDM vehicles but I'm sure there was a reason for it. In any event, it's a bit of a disappointment to learn these things and wonder what could be.

On the plus side, these parts can be ordered from Japan :jig:

Yes---I'd like 1 rear glass actuator with button & the oversized ventshades please--oh and what will the shipping be on that??

I think the appropriate word is... astronomical. Small overseas orders typically don't make much sense. It is in no way feasible to order that stuff on its own... although the rear glass actuator probably wouldn't be all that bad. I ordered the digital climate control unit with wiring harness and cabin thermostat and in the end spent about $300 CAD. Then I just have to pay for shipping from Vancouver to Winnipeg, which I believe might be $60-80 by snail mail through Canada Post.

My '03 SE has a rear glass "pop" on the driver door right next to the gas flap button. you hook your finger under it and pull.

Mine as well, its right next to the gas fueler door release, on the drivers side door under the armrest