Fender flares

Kingman

Mine never had any... but I do plan on putting some on *\/See pic in sig \/*

Unless they are an actual part of the functional fender, then they can be removed (basically, if they were "optional" hardware on a stock truck). but they law does limit how far out your tires can stick. And mud flaps are also required, but that is hazy ground on an SUV

Mine never had any... but I do plan on putting some on *\/See pic in sig \/*

Unless they are an actual part of the functional fender, then they can be removed (basically, if they were "optional" hardware on a stock truck). but they law does limit how far out your tires can stick. And mud flaps are also required, but that is hazy ground on an SUV

They seem like they would be easy enough to remove, just pins and clips and bolts under the fender. Sweet.

I've never had any mud flaps on mine, I didn't know it was illegal. Good thing the cop didn't say anything about it when he pulled me over for speeding... :lol:

I don't remember the "exact" law on when they are required and when they are not, but rest assured if you lift your truck and find a cop with a grudge against 4x4's (or maybe just in a bad mood) then he may stop and ticket you.

Stock SUV's even when they have a lot of tire exposed facing the rear seem to be ok. But once lifted then they look at them like a pickup. the law there, unless it has changed in the past 10yrs required flaps spanning with full width of the tire and extending down to the middle of the axle.

You can stop and officer and ask him... I do it every now and then. If your asking "how do I make my truck legal" then they are very unlikely to look down on or ticket you ;)

I don't remember the "exact" law on when they are required and when they are not, but rest assured if you lift your truck and find a cop with a grudge against 4x4's (or maybe just in a bad mood) then he may stop and ticket you.

Stock SUV's even when they have a lot of tire exposed facing the rear seem to be ok. But once lifted then they look at them like a pickup. the law there, unless it has changed in the past 10yrs required flaps spanning with full width of the tire and extending down to the middle of the axle.

You can stop and officer and ask him... I do it every now and then. If your asking "how do I make my truck legal" then they are very unlikely to look down on or ticket you ;)

If that's the law, its retarded. I'd rather pay the ticket than put mud flaps on my truck.

So um, how would I go about stopping a cop? Flash my lights and horn and pretend to pull him over? :jk:

lol it's really not a big deal... I put them on my yota years ago after a county cop stopped and warned a friend of mine that some of the other cops ticket first, and don't ask questions later. Since then I have had zero problems with it, while some others have been ticketed and subsequently followed by local county cops.

To me, it's such a minor thing, it's just not worth fighting about. You gotta pick our own battles though, and if this one is worth it, then happy check writing :D

I ripped them off my Pathy a couple years ago (well one, then took the other off) and so far I have not had any problems.

But having lifted it higher and now with taller tires that grab and kick more stuff up combined with wheels that push them out further, I may very well be noticed this winter. if that happens, again to me it's just not worth wasting money or time on... I'll just mount some new mudflaps and go along my way (while keeping my money in my pocket) :togo:

Somone asked this and about mudflaps, it it wasn't here than I think it was in nissan4wheelers. Anyway somone responded with (a very long)post that listed every states mudflap and fender(tire coverage) law.

IIRC Washingtons was someting like the wheel can't stick out from the side more than an inch. and the wheels must be coverd from 10deg in front to 75deg in back(it does not state where this measurement is taken form) to prevent stuff from being kicked (use mudflaps to obtain this) there is also a ground clearance statement about how high a vehicle can be before it needs them.

Took them off, looks way better. Tires only stick out barely over an inch it looks like. Dang, I need a better camera. Sorry about the crappy pics

HPIM0906.jpg

HPIM0908.jpg

HPIM0909.jpg

With the stock wheels you'll be fine. My 88's wheel/tires stick out almost 3" past the fenders.

Really? Doesn't look like that much on mine, but thats a good thing!

I measured mine, only stick out an inch, on 31x10.50x15 tires, what are yours? Yours stick out significantly more than mine do

Edited by kingman92010

Really? Doesn't look like that much on mine, but thats a good thing!

I measured mine, only stick out an inch, on 31x10.50x15 tires, what are yours? Yours stick out significantly more than mine do

My point was you have stock, mine are aftermarket, Rockcrawlers, with a different offset. If you stay stock you should be OK, I doubt your tread is past the fenders, the sidewall bulge might be but that isn't what the cop is looking at. Mine actually stick out past the stock flares (I have flares on the 93, used to have those wheels and tires on it).