R50 Diesel engine

Went to Japan a few years back for school, and noticed how many rigs have diesel engines... it's nuts!

The R50 Terrano from 1996-2004 always had a diesel option which is unfair because we never had

that option here ever... it seems the Japanese keep all their autmotive goodies to themselves...

ahem, Skyline GT-R, Silvia... :rant2:

But I digress. I've been interested in a diesel swap on my '98 since I picked it up. Has anyone come

across this swap in North America?

the QD32 was in the australian navara.

there were R50's released with a version of the td27. that maybe worth looking into as it was made to fit.

the zd30 would be another option. with a few key tweaks, they are not so bad

Edited by sw

Nice, thanks for the advice.

From what I've researched on the JDM Terrano,

the Neo-Di 3.2L is pretty much a direct swap save

for a few minor details. It's just hard to find any

actual info on doing the swap; everything I've read

is just theory :huh:

Thanks Harvey :D

Unfortunately, there is little information on the engine itself, much less

anything concerning a swap on this side of the globe... everywhere

else had the diesel option so I might be SOL here... :(

However, the tranny, rear and front diffs are exactly the same :jig:

If only I could get my hands on a JDM R50... :shrug:

Edited by tekazgtr1984

• 4 weeks later...

I was in panama this past summer and saw a bunch of diesel pathfinders down there. I was thinking that south of the border might be a good place to source a motor....then again there is probably more of a language barrier and more restrictions on moving goods back and forth. Maybe I could pay someone to smuggle one in. If he gets caught, they might be so surprized it's not drugs that they'll just let it go...

I was in panama this past summer and saw a bunch of diesel pathfinders down there. I was thinking that south of the border might be a good place to source a motor....then again there is probably more of a language barrier and more restrictions on moving goods back and forth. Maybe I could pay someone to smuggle one in. If he gets caught, they might be so surprized it's not drugs that they'll just let it go...

LOL, that would be an awesome idea! To import it from Japan plus the turbo upgrade I'm looking at $5K which is just silly... If I had that sorta money I'd prolly do a V8 swap and subframe drop. Or buy me a Titan and mod the piss out of it.

But I digress, if the price was right and the engine was in good shape and with reasonable mileage, I would consider that a realistic approach.

I wouldn't be surprised if they would stuff the engine full of drugs though... :shrug:

LOL, that would be an awesome idea! To import it from Japan plus the turbo upgrade I'm looking at $5K which is just silly... If I had that sorta money I'd prolly do a V8 swap and subframe drop. Or buy me a Titan and mod the piss out of it.

But I digress, if the price was right and the engine was in good shape and with reasonable mileage, I would consider that a realistic approach.

I wouldn't be surprised if they would stuff the engine full of drugs though... :shrug:

I've got a great diesel shop here in Bellingham. I'll see what they have for diesel Nissan Forklift engines or maybe even a ZD30.

BTW, I own a Titan and with the traction control, I'd be scared to do any suspension mods. Raising your center of gravity causes the VDC to be overly sensitive, making it run the front brakes run with the least bit of body roll. I bought my Pathy just because I was afraid to scratch up my Titan and can't afford (esp. after buying the Titan) to mod/repair stuff outside of warranty.

I've got a great diesel shop here in Bellingham. I'll see what they have for diesel Nissan Forklift engines or maybe even a ZD30.

BTW, I own a Titan and with the traction control, I'd be scared to do any suspension mods. Raising your center of gravity causes the VDC to be overly sensitive, making it run the front brakes run with the least bit of body roll. I bought my Pathy just because I was afraid to scratch up my Titan and can't afford (esp. after buying the Titan) to mod/repair stuff outside of warranty.

Really? My friend's got a 6" Pro Comp lift and loves it... :scratchhead:

To be honest, I don't have the money either way LOL

If you could find me a QD32DTI that would be boss :aok:

Edited by tekazgtr1984

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Keep us posted on how this turns out! :D

Im interested myself on the td27 swap! but me have no money now :(

Apparently it's easier to find the TD27 here in Canada than the QD32 or ZD30 engines. That really bites because I've heard good things about the latter two. :(

I will definitely keep ya'll posted when I have a more definitive plan in place. Right now, money's tight and there are several other things I must do to the R50 before I even consider an engine swap...