roof rack suggestions

dkpath96

I have a '96 Pathfinder and was thinking of upgrading my roof rack (see pic

of old one - it's a SporTrak, by Perrycraft, w/ a 75 lb. load limit).

1) is this possible, since I already have one installed?

2) if it can be done, does anyone have any suggestions? I'd like to have more

room to work with up there (width and length) and a higher load limit.

I use the rack to transport my 15.5' canoe (~70 lbs.) but would like to be able

to put more things up there from time to time.

-thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

the easiest way to upgrade your roofrack is to look at Thule or Yakima, and use the Nissan rails to support the rack system. You can increase the weight capacity by using 3 or 4 crossbars instead of the usual 2.

I use a yakima with a basketcase and two bike mounts all the time; and add two other bars for my boats. This allows the boats to be supported in the widest spread - the bars are set at the far ends of the factory rails, and only these bars hold the boats. The other rack (basketcase) can be used to hold gear or firewood.

things get tight, I can't put 2 bikes and 2 boats on the roof at once. I could do that if I used the superwide crossbars, but they suck on the trail, and I keep the rails a couple inches narrower than the width of the vehicle.

We also mount a yakima bike rack off the 2 in reciever hitch which holds 3 bikes, so at max roadtrip capacity I can have 2 or 3 boats up top and 3 bikes off the back. (between my wife and I we have 9 bikes and 3 boats, and we do like to take a lot of toys with us)

this wasn't possible until I put on the Old Man Emu suspension.

The yakima vs thule decision is pretty much a coke vs pepsi argument, although I have trouble with the round crossbars (yakima) spinning with the boat mounts (hully rollers/cradles). I think the square tube thule has an advantage there. We've just accumulated so much yakima stuff over the years I'm kinda in too deep to quit.

mike

I think the yakima system looks alittle smoother but the square bars do have their advantages... both round and sqaure bars can hold the same weight. I love my roof rack system... i got a basket which I sized about 4 inches smaller than my roof... and then i have cross bars about 1 foot wider than the basket... and on the extra 6 inches of each side I have my bike mounts... so i can put my canoe and 2 bikes or 2 kayaks and 2 bikes up top.... PLUS.... i can still put stufff in the basket under the boats... like Herm said though.. once you get all that gear in the car.... your suspension in lacking... i went to a jeep grand chereokee coil because it has a spring rate of 240, vs. the stock 180 spring rate.... its alittle stiffer ride but I got used to it quick and it works great. I use the roof rack basket combo alot since I have 2 dogs who ride in the back cargo area... so therefor... all the gear goes up top.

just my 2 cents....

pat

Which Jeep coils did you put on your pathy? I'm not aware of that swap - it would be helpful to get new thread on it in case others want to follow your lead.

mike

There is a thread on that swap, it is a sticky in either the Garage or General topics. I beleive that it only applies to 95 and older pathfinders though :rolleyes:

Take a look at the Air Lift products too. I just bought a set for my '03 SE to help level the load when I'm pulling a trailer. They claim it adds up to 1,000 lbs, capacity. Haven't installed them yet but I'm expecting good things from them. My set was $69 from Summit Racing (I didn't get the compressor model as I have a portable, 12 volt compressor I can take with me). just a thought.

jim

Thanks for the advice on the roof racks, guys. I didn't know that those were

rails on my roof (duh!) so now I am looking into a Thule setup.

Those big roof racks on the XTerras - are they for show or are they just really

big for hauling anything up on the roof? I've never really looked one over up

close, I just was wishing I had one like that...