Is this Pathy on Craigslist for 800$ worth it?

NaturaTek

Like you said yozsi, the automagic tranny is failing. It it expensive to 'rebuild' and even then, 1/2 the time they don't last...

If it was local, I'd buy it in a heart beat, just to swap in my 130k mile motor and MANUAL tranny...

To buy with hopes of a good deal and just fix the tranny, never. Odds are it will be expensive grief.

B

A guy in the club is selling his two pathies. It'd be a long drive, but it's a hell of a deal.

http://tnt4x4club.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=511

recent events forcing sale.

'88, 4x4, auto, cold a/c, very straight body, new tires, runs, but motor knocks.

'89 4x4, 5 sp, "okay" body, spray on undercoating from body line down, new 3" body lift installed, steering shaft needs to be put back on from lift, new street tires, runs fine, needs LCA bushings, but I have them. pic is before lift and undercoating.

$1000.00 for both. Located in Arlington, Tx.

IF (and only if) the frame is reasonably rust free AND you can do the wrench spinning yourself, then heck ya! Offer $600 and enjoy!

But if you have to pay someone else to do the work, no.

Like you said yozsi, the automagic tranny is failing. It it expensive to 'rebuild' and even then, 1/2 the time they don't last...

B

Actually, most people I know put the Trans-Go" kit in when they rebuilt and it ended up a stronger unit than stock. :shrug:

First time I have heard of that kit, but then, I don't buy automagics... All I ever hear is tales of woe of autotragic trannys that fail, rebuilds that don't last or cost a fortune, etc. :shrug:

Most people you know don't post here?

B

Strange I know a few people around here with wd21's some of them tow real heavy and oversized loads, and they're autotragics have been fine. I asked and some said, I just have the stock cooler. Meanwhile mine has an intermittent reverse issue and it's never towed :shrug:

I think if you just change the fluid like what the manual says, and you just drive normally, the trans will be fine. My 93 has 215k miles on it, original trans, stock cooler. Just changed the fluid ever 60,000 kms. It shifts smoother, faster, and reverse is fine. My 95 on the other hand had brown fluid when I got it, so I had it flushed and will probably have to do it again and have the filter changed to see if it fixes it.

i love my slushbox! frees my drinkin/smokin/rollin/gang sign hand.

And is needed in drive-by's

Like Calmini... I think slushboxes are over-hated...

(have a 5 speed also, and like wheeling with the auto)

Tows my boat fine, almost idles thru the mud in 4 lo.

I did put an aftermarket cooler and external filter on it also for extra luck...

Edited by MikeV

i have an auto, bought the truck for 600, wasted tranny, had it rebuild, ran some B&M coolers and it drives great. Also, while they are rebuilding the tranny, i did a top overhaul, changed belts, radiator, starter, relocated oil filter. Right now i can easily sell my truck for 2k-3k, oh yeah new 31's, black rims 5 of them, roof rack, RC susp lift, lights and other crap. I need to post a picture of this thing.

So yeah, I think it is worth it.

Edited by ISlandBoy