Elevating the air breathers

flnl

Do any of you have connected hoses to the air breathers to elevate them, so that the water is not breathed in and mixed with the oil when crossing rivers?

I guess I need to use that hoses with a cloth over it (sorry for my English, I don't know how to call it) ;)

I have to go below the rig to see what size the hose should be. So if any of you know it, let me know B)

yes & its a wise move

sw,

your Pathy have a snorkel. Did you put it or it was there when you bought the car? And do the hoses are connected to the snorkel?

tell us more.

what would you like to know?

just use fuel hose and put it where you want it

i ran my lines up in side the cab up behind the back passenger side window (of the 2 doors)

i fitted my snorkel myself

my lines dont go to my snorkel but some people do it

i hadnt thought of a filter, sounds like a good idea, i might do that

thanks sw. where are these diff vents located exactly? I just had surgey and can't go and lay down and look.

and you mean your vents go under the triangular windows? and did you drill in the body to get them up there?

i fitted my snorkel myself

That's another stuff I plan to do. Maybe later you can tell us how you did it, in another topic.

:D

Today I went down of my 94 Path to search for the breathers' locations.

I'm surprised that there are already hoses from the breathers to a higher point, near the fuses inside the engine compartment. :huh:

Well, I can't say that I'm completely sure of this. I don't have much mechanics knowledge... but what I saw made me wonder this. :unsure:

Is this stock? Or part of something like the Sport Package?

Mine came like that stock, the front diff and transfercase went to the back corner of the engine bay, and the rear breather went in to the sealed tubular section of the chassis infront of the fuel tank. (it looked like a sealed section)

Believe me i have been through some deep rivers with that thing, like the water line showing a couple of inches up the door windows with hood completely submerged. When your in a crossing like that for a good 30 to 40 seconds, thats plenty of time for water to get in to every thing there is to get water into.

When i got home from this trip, after three days of driving up this particular braided river, i checked all the transmission oils expecting them all to need changing.

They were fine.

So i recommend you leave them as they are, they do the job exceptionally well!!!

Pete.

Mine came like that stock, the front diff and transfercase went to the back corner of the engine bay, and the rear breather went in to the sealed tubular section of the chassis infront of the fuel tank. (it looked like a sealed section)

Believe me i have been through some deep rivers with that thing, like the water line showing a couple of inches up the door windows with hood completely submerged. When your in a crossing like that for a good 30 to 40 seconds, thats plenty of time for water to get in to every thing there is to get water into.

When i got home from this trip, after three days of driving up this particular braided river, i checked all the transmission oils expecting them all to need changing.

They were fine.

So i recommend you leave them as they are, they do the job exceptionally well!!!

Pete.

That's quite impressive... Water a couple of inches up the windows with the hood all the way under... I had no idea that you could get that deep and still get out without sucking water in with the air intake.

I got mine about 3/4 the way up the wheels almost to the door level when My wife made me turn around.(We where driving on flooded out dirt/gravel roads after some heavy rains.)

So how much water came into the cab? Mine was wrecked by a previous owner so niether of my driver side doors close real tight anymore.

I've driven my Pathy into the ocean to the point it floated a little bit, and it still works fine. ;)

SL20036.jpg

Where did you want to go? Hawaii? :P

Wireing was fine, no computer for the engine. Door seals must have been good because the only water that came in was around the rubber boot that the transfer lever goes through in the floor.

Water only really seems to come in if you get stuck and sit there for a short while as the rope is being run out to you.

I have had my Toyota Hilux ute at work stuck in puddle of really watery mud and coal fines, had to climb out the window, and buy the time i got some one in a 6o tonne digger to pull me out there was black watery coaly muddy crap nearly over the the seats!!!

Still ran fine, and still does.

I think its mainly the computer that doesn't like water.

I quite often take my carpets out to before i go on trips up rivers!!!

I have a really good video of that particular trip, buts its on a tape. You see the Terrano enter the river, get deeper and deeper, then start to float and get picked up by the swift current, see me working the steering wheel on to full opposite lock to try to stop the back end comming round, the spray from the exhust as it forces through the water at full revs, the the front end bites and it hauls its self up the bouldery bank. Wish there was some way i could let you see it!!!!!!

Its awesome. Some of the other crossings are really good, especially the ones where you get stuck on a boulder mid dtream or somthing!!!