Synthetic oil filters for '93 pathie

westslope

I run Mobil 1 synthetic oil for older vehicles in our '93 212,000km pathfinder. Doesn't leak a drop when properly filled.

But I would like to find an oil filter specially designed for synthetic oil that would fit on a stock '93 pathfinder engine. Ideally, it should allow me to increase times between oil changes.

Any suggestions?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think they make a filter specifically made for synthetic oil. I would just get a wix filter and run good oil and change every 5000-6000 miles. I run dyno oil for that long with a cheapy filter and get good results.

"I don't think they make a filter specifically made for synthetic oil. "

They do yoyzi. I'm just not aware of one that will specifically fit the early 1990s pathfinder.

Champion Labs makes Mobil 1 extended performance filters. M1-208 is the oil filter for my vehicle.

Apparently there is this small shop in Newfoundland that sells them. Otherwise there are no mail-order/web-shops in the USA that will sell to Canada, or so I'm told.

Edited by westslope

Over $10?

Assume it costs me $15. At near $30 of Mobil 1 synthetic plus shop labour costs, if it really allows me to extend from circa 5,000km between oil changes to 9,000km or 10,000km between changes, then the filter will be well worth it.

I get my mechanic to change the oil because lubing the 17 grease nipples took me close to half a day to do on my own without a hoist. I supply the Mobil 1 oil and sometimes the beer. Good practice when your guys go out of their way to save you money AND ensure the truck is safe. :D

Over $10?

Assume it costs me $15. At near $30 of Mobil 1 synthetic plus shop labour costs, if it really allows me to extend from circa 5,000km between oil changes to 9,000km or 10,000km between changes, then the filter will be well worth it.

I get my mechanic to change the oil because lubing the 17 grease nipples took me close to half a day to do on my own without a hoist. I supply the Mobil 1 oil and sometimes the beer. Good practice when your guys go out of their way to save you money AND ensure the truck is safe. :D

What?!?!? It costs me 44.95 before taxes for a 4.4l jug of mobil 1 5w50 and I just use a regular napa filter or even a :ph33r: fram filter (usually the tough guard one)

It's cheaper for me to drive down over the border to the us and pickup the oil, its 28.95 at advance auto parts, rather than 45 at canadian tire.

I change it every 10k km's or 7k kms, depends on what time of year, and where I've been driving.

yeah, over 10 buck for the filter. M1 in a gallon jug was somewhere around U$25 at walmart. it surely could be more as last time i bought some oil was probably barely over 100/brl

17 grease nipples? hmm.. where?

i grease mine while i drain the oil. 5min per side, tops. btw. no lifting involved but i do turn the wheels one way and then the other to be able to get to all of the steering.

redfinder: My engine takes about 3.3 litres of oil if I remember correctly. I was about to write down $40 for the lot but didn't want to exaggerate. With your FRAM filter, you should be changing every 5,000km or so.

mzxtreme: Yup 17 or awfully close to that number. Are you missing a few? I was OK around the front wheels. There's a nipple on the rear drive shaft and a couple of others that were rather awkward to reach to say the least.

============================================

A litttle simulation may help.

Assume $40 of oil, $10 labour, $5 for an ordinary filter, $20 for an extended performance filter.

Assume that the expensive synthetic oil filter last 2X the distance.

Ordinary filter: 2X ($40 + $10 + $5 ) = $110

Synth filter: 1 X ($40 + $10 + $20) = $70

There's a $40 or 36% savings. Could be $80 or more depending on how much one drives in a year.

Note CAREFULLY: I did not include the value of time. If one's time is worth $50/hour and it takes 2 hours to do this, then skipping oil changes is all the more attractive. Even if one's time is worth much less than $50/hour, that factor is still important.

Edited by westslope

redfinder: My engine takes about 3.3 litres of oil if I remember correctly. I was about to write down $40 for the lot but didn't want to exaggerate. With your FRAM filter, you should be changing every 5,000km or so.

Uh oh, I changed it 3 weeks ago and didn't write down how many km's I had :stickwack:

We have the exact same engine I believe, as I have a 93 and a 95 and they're both VG30E

The only reason I use it is because I procrastinate so I change it every 5-10k and I don't get that annoying valve tap on startup in the winter anymore

You can install a remote oil filter and use the relatively giant and quite standard Ford filters.... They would have more than enough filtering capacity to allow for a long change interval, and you can get pretty much any filter made in that Ford size.

You can install a remote oil filter and use the relatively giant and quite standard Ford filters.... They would have more than enough filtering capacity to allow for a long change interval, and you can get pretty much any filter made in that Ford size.

I'm checking those out right now, would also allow the starter to not get covered in oil when a careless person changes the oil. :hide: I've not spilled in the last 2.

The Newfoundland shop is out of stock.

However, I found a Mobil Express Lube shop in Bellingham Washington just south of us that will mail-order it for me.

But they do not have M1-208 in stock. The fella cross-matched and found that a Mightly Oil filter M36-82 filter works with our '93 pathie. US$20 for two filters and ~$5-$10 handling and shipping. The price is right, but I wanted to understand what is the difference between the Mobil 1 extended performance M1-208 filter and the Mighty Oil filter M36-82 filter? Anybody?

If the Mighty oil filter is as good as the Mobil 1 filter, I'm all over it!

The Newfoundland shop is out of stock.

However, I found a Mobil Express Lube shop in Bellingham Washington just south of us that will mail-order it for me.

But they do not have M1-208 in stock. The fella cross-matched and found that a Mightly Oil filter M36-82 filter works with our '93 pathie. US$20 for two filters and ~$5-$10 handling and shipping. The price is right, but I wanted to understand what is the difference between the Mobil 1 extended performance M1-208 filter and the Mighty Oil filter M36-82 filter? Anybody?

If the Mighty oil filter is as good as the Mobil 1 filter, I'm all over it!

A mighty oil filter is what cheap oil change places use... its just a standard oil filter like any other. Just use a plain filter and be done with it.

eh, those filters are no better than a good quality filter. pssh, snake oil, i tell you.

Perhaps you can explain why that is the case, or point to a review?

Perhaps you can explain why that is the case, or point to a review?

A filter is a damn filter is a damn filter... get it? There is very few things that comprise the filter..... the can, the end cap, the anti backflow valve, the filter medium, and the bypass valve..... obviously a good quality filter will have all good construction and a filter medium that has a specific micron count.

I think what you are looking for is a filter that has a low micron count and has large filter area.... that means any good quality filter such as a purolator pure one, wix gold or silver.... etc... just buy a good filter and pass on the fram and no-name filters like mighty.

Your old worn out pathfinder is not gonna care that you run a 20 dollar k&n or a 4 dollar wix filter.

So what's the story?

Are you wize guyz trying to tell me that all this stuff about regular filters not lasting as long as the synth oil is pure unadulterated bull-sheet?

A regular quality (?) paper filter will last 10,000km? This is new to me. Glad I came here to be enlightened.

So what's the story?

Are you wize guyz trying to tell me that all this stuff about regular filters not lasting as long as the synth oil is pure unadulterated bull-sheet?

A regular quality (?) paper filter will last 10,000km? This is new to me. Glad I came here to be enlightened.

yes, what you are saying is bull crap. I use cheap oil and filters in my pathfinder and change every 6,000 miles, my diesel doesn't get oil changes until 8000 miles. The regular change intervals for some newer cars is not for 8,000-10,000 miles. Oil has come a long way since 1960. BTW im a master tech... so its not like i abuse my cars. I think you are just one of those anal retentive people that flip out when they are proven wrong.

you don't know that yo. his pathfinder may be that spoild. ;):D

LOL, my pathy is spoiled too.... its still waiting for its meijer high milage motor oil change :tongue:

yes, what you are saying is bull crap. I use cheap oil and filters in my pathfinder and change every 6,000 miles, my diesel doesn't get oil changes until 8000 miles. The regular change intervals for some newer cars is not for 8,000-10,000 miles. Oil has come a long way since 1960. BTW im a master tech... so its not like i abuse my cars. I think you are just one of those anal retentive people that flip out when they are proven wrong.

yozsi, I don't pretend to be an expert in this area. Apparently you do, and you want me to treat your outburts as some kind of divine authority argument. Furthermore, I am not sure that your emotionally charged statements constitute "proof". More like an opinion I'd say. Perhaps a better informed opinion than mine.

You apparently do not believe in synthetic oil. That's fine. You should mount a road show because there a bunch of university-trained engineers out there that are in dire need of your enlightenment. Engineers make mistakes too.

======================================================

The extended performance Mobil filter available via Newfoundland costs C$14 but would have to be special ordered.

Lordco autoparts sells a $15 synthetic K&N filter. NAPA autoparts sells a NAPA Gold filter manufactured by Wix for $7.85. I'll probably go with the NAPA Gold (Wix) filter.

i never said i didn't believe in synthetic oil as i run very expensive synthetic oil in my 240z scca road race car. i'm just saying there is no specific synthetic oil filter.... and if there is thats bullcrap. i think you will be pleased with your wix filter.

Yup

Easy there, although my father is one of those people and so is his wife.

Lordco autoparts sells a $15 synthetic K&N filter. NAPA autoparts sells a NAPA Gold filter manufactured by Wix for $7.85. I'll probably go with the NAPA Gold (Wix) filter.

The napa gold lasted me 15k :broken::sssh: on mobil 1 5w50 synthetic. The oil came out nearly as clear as when it went in.....