chopped doors

bishop

Is anyone running chopped doors? I have a line on a set doorswith the glass already gone that I would like to run , but don't know the legality . I see them all the time in mags on yotas , but have never seen them in person . My state probably looks down on those without full doors , but the law dosen't say no in so many words. I would hate to ruin a nice set of doors then go out and get a ticket . Also I would love to pull all my carpet and rear seat and rinoline the whole interior, so I can hose it out . Has anyone tried this , and if so , how much of a hassel is it to hide the stock harnesses ? Any help would be greatly appreciated , as this thing will see mostly beach time ( the best surf spots in N.C. are truck access only ) and clean up is a pain with carpet.

thanks

p.

NissaYota is I believe

hosing out the interior would do neat things to the ECU and other electronics.

Rhinoliner would work okay but wiring harness would be in the open

good thought I have never played with a truck newer than 1980 . Darn black boxes ruin everything . I used to run a 90 accord in scca and rhino lined the interior in it (I split conduit to make tunnels to shield the wire I couldnt run in a better location.) I was keeping my spare slicks and my tools where the back seat used to be and it made things real easy to clean up and I didn't have to worry about denting things up when I threw the jack in the back. I'll probably pull the carpet to see what I am up against anyway . If I made a water proof box do you think I could get away with just venting it or do you think I would have to run something like a little fan to keep the ecu cool ?

you could put it in a tupperware and seal it up where the wires and mounting screws go. When you are ready to do a water crossing/mud hole, snap the lid on top and give 'er

I ran no doors when it was raining also... Dont worry the ecu is about 2 in off the floor so water cant really sit with it. I might do that tubbawear idea. But other then that i dont really go through huge puddles, and even if i did, there is no way my engine can push my axles through it

I disagree, the ECU is too important to brush of on the assumption that water "can't really sit with it." All it takes is a little water and your dead... in the water (pun intended) This is not like an emissions control computer on late carbureted vehicles, this computer actually runs the engine.

If you are going to do something, wether is is drive through something that may allow water in or make a mod that could expose it to water, you need to take steps to protect it. it costs little or nothing to do it, but not doing it could cost a lot of $$

Glove box relocation mod is another alternative :aok:

how many ppl have killed there ECU's by water in a pathfinder?

just curious. I relocated mine just to be safe. but my buddies B2 had the comp on the passanger kick area. there is still a water line 1/4-1/3 of the way up it. I remember the exact time that happened, the truck was in a small river that had flooded its banks. the truck was still running with the ECU 1/3 under water(all the wire conections are at the bottom too). it would have driven home but we still had the stock intake on it at that time that pulls air in from the grill area. we sucked water in and the motor died. pulled the truck out of the creek, pulled the plugs and turned it over. messed up the plug wire arangement tho. so it ran really rough. towed it home, got the right wire arangement and the truck ran fine.

how many ppl have killed there ECU's by water in a pathfinder?

just curious. I relocated mine just to be safe. but my buddies B2 had the comp on the passanger kick area. there is still a water line 1/4-1/3 of the way up it. I remember the exact time that happened, the truck was in a small river that had flooded its banks. the truck was still running with the ECU 1/3 under water(all the wire conections are at the bottom too). it would have driven home but we still had the stock intake on it at that time that pulls air in from the grill area. we sucked water in and the motor died. pulled the truck out of the creek, pulled the plugs and turned it over. messed up the plug wire arangement tho. so it ran really rough. towed it home, got the right wire arangement and the truck ran fine.

SkinnyPedal did it TWICE last year. He was lucky the first time, in that after the ECU dried out, it worked again (we shut it off when he was stuck in the water, before it hit the ECU). The second time, he needed to swap it out.

that's nice . I think I am going to have to do it , I hate wires thought . Hit a deer pretty square on this weekend going to take it offroad for the first time to get a baseline of what I'm up against , so plans are on hold until I get the front end back in shape. A friend of mine with a tube bender and I talked to a state trooper friend of mine , and I think we are going to end up building a set of tube doors on the stock hinges ( I just want it realy open with no tickets) . It's a few weeks off since I can't get good clean parts for a fair price around here (west coast guys are soo lucky) I had to send away to arizona to get rust free stuff. I'll put some pics up when we get it done.

p.

I'm from NC and not living in CA I've seen just as much rust out here on the west coast as I saw on the east coast...I always heard "california rust free"

my ass...try to find a you pull it lot and thats where you will find the big savings...

I'm from NC and not living in CA I've seen just as much rust out here on the west coast as I saw on the east coast...I always heard "california rust free"

my ass...try to find a you pull it lot and thats where you will find the big savings...

theres a difference... just like when i lived up in Washington compared to down here... big difference

closest pull it lot is an hour and a half away and in a sketchy part or va. beach so guys jump the fence at night and tear stuff up for fun so most of their stuff is worthless . Every other lot wanted alot more than it was going to cost me with shipping . $525 was the cheapest I got quoted for all the parts I need at local junkers , while I got everything I needed plus a few extra parts to replace some stuff that was a worn out like the rear bumper for $350 shipped .

p.

Edited by bishop

closest pull it lot is an hour and a half away and in a sketchy part or va. beach so guys jump the fence at night and tear stuff up for fun so most of their stuff is worthless . Every other lot wanted alot more than it was going to cost me with shipping . $525 was the cheapest I got quoted for all the parts I need at local junkers , while I got everything I needed plus a few extra parts to replace some stuff that was a worn out like the rear bumper for $350 shipped .

p.

Ermmm im pretty sure it doesnt matter whats wrong with the doors, you gut them anyways, put up some type of sheet metal for the back. Save the latches. Go get some doors at teh sketchy place ya pussay :tonguefinger: