Running Your Pathy on WATER

TrailChaser

I've been having some problems with the truck and just kinda lost interest in the whole HHO thing. I still have all my stuff and I'm still planning to give it my best shot. Stay Tuned...

PS: We made it thru Ike okay. Lost power for a while and had a helluva mess to clean up, but I got some good pics and videos. Check that thread for the pics. The video isn't online yet.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any additional 'load' introduced by adding energy into this system is negligable compared to the load on the engine that is present just to turn the altenator. Unlike the AC compressor, the altenator does not have a clutch that engages and disengages it as needed. Drawing more current will only have the effect of making the regulator open it's gates a little more to keep the required level of power back to the battery.

Ok. So does an alternator with a higher output take more energy to spin regardless of the draw?

I looked at your Ike thread TC and am glad you didn't have any 'real' problems. Yeah, I can see how the HHO experiment takes second/third/fourth place... We are looking forward to when you resume it though.

Best of luck.

B

Ok. So does an alternator with a higher output take more energy to spin regardless of the draw?

I looked at your Ike thread TC and am glad you didn't have any 'real' problems. Yeah, I can see how the HHO experiment takes second/third/fourth place... We are looking forward to when you resume it though.

Best of luck.

B

If it is actually producing the higher output, yes, it requires more energy.

An alternator converts mechanical energy to electrical energy. And not at a terribly impressive efficiency, either.

To put out more electrical energy, you need to input more mechanical energy. That's why a slightly loose or glazed belt squeals worst right after start up - it has to ramp up it's output to high levels to recharge battery. As the battery recharges and demands less, the alternator output decreases and requires less mechanical energy, so it is easier to spin and slips less.

I had a friend in the engineering program do his senior project with the intent to try to increase the efficiency of an automotive charging system enough to where it could be human powered - basically a bicycle powering an alternator. He made great strides - by the end, a person could actually keep a light bulb (a SINGLE) light bulb powered for a minute or two minutes before they became exhausted. We brought in a couple Cat 1 riders, and they could keep it going for about maybe 10 minutes....

Flick on a second lightbulb, and they ground to a halt within a few seconds - just couldn't turn the cranks hard enough. One mutant sprinter broke a chain trying to do it.

Edited by mws

If it is actually producing the higher output, yes, it requires more energy.

I figured that, but at a lower output (30 amps by a 50amp alt and a 100amp alt) it required the same energy, correct? (assuming the same efficience rating)

If so, it seems like running a hire amp alt is the way to go; only pay for the extra power when you use it...

Yeah, I've ridden a bike with a little friction drive generator mounted on the front fender which powered a single weak light on the handlebars. I don't know what wattage (LOW) but you could feel the drag when you engaged it...

One mutant sprinter broke a chain trying to do it.

*snort*

I figured that, but at a lower output (30 amps by a 50amp alt and a 100amp alt) it required the same energy, correct? (assuming the same efficience rating)

If so, it seems like running a hire amp alt is the way to go; only pay for the extra power when you use it...

Hmmm... That is a good question! After all of 15 seconds of analysis, assuming they are of EXACTLY the same design, I would think the 100 amp capacity will be slightly more efficient at putting out 30 amps than the 50 amp as it should be running cooler. Electronics and conductors tend to lose efficiency as temps go up due to internal resistances.

But we're probably talking about a difference from 8% to 8.1% energy conversion efficiency!

Edited by mws

The problem, then is getting that pitiful 8% up to something around 30% or better...

Would using carbon-nanotubes instead of copper wire up the ante a bit? I know the price would be stupid but assume money is no concern - what would be the most efficient "alternator" you could build?

• 3 years later...

there's a quicker way to generate hydrogen gas.... fill your tank with HCl and shovel in a bunch of seashells (plentiful and free). Now all you have to do is keep it from eating your car and find a way not to explode.

I just spit coffee through my nose! :lmao:

Now that I've had a bit of time to read up on this subject I have to say that you will not be gaining fuel mileage by doing this. As with the current dilemma on using fuel cell technology, the amount of energy put into converting the water to Hydrogen and Oxygen is too great. In you situation you will be taking electrical energy from you alternator (which in turn is taking mechanical energy from your engine) and using it to produce gases from water by electrolysis. You will then take these gases and extract energy from them to power your engine. Because of the losses involved (mainly heat losses) you will not be able to get back as much energy as you put in (conservation of energy) and thus you will be decreasing fuel mileage. Basically you will be using more energy to produce the gases then you will be receiving back by burning the gases.

It looks like you are having fun doing your experiments and I am glad to see that because you won't be gaining any fuel mileage....

Seriously my thoughts exactly. I have been through tech school for auto and diesel theory and I have taken a college physics course. No significant gains to report in my opinion. Seems like hype to get traffic to a website to buy parts. Good luck though...maybe they should try adding those "turbinators" to their intake systems and sticking on some aerodynamic dorsal fins. oh,oh, they could also try bosch platinum plus 4 spark plugs...I heard those are super neato