Best GPS/NAV for Off-Roading?

medici

I've had a Lowrance iWay 500c for 4 years. It's built like a tank, waterproof, has a huge screen and allows you to store up to 5GB MP3 files on the built-in 10GB HDD. The maps are very good, although 4 years out-of-date, and I've rarely come across a backroad, logging trail or jeep trail that wasn't represented. Unfortunately, I find no way to enter waypoints using longitude and latitude, so it isn't suitable for exploring many of the off-road trails I've found on the Internet and in some guidebooks.

After looking at the available options, I purchased a TomTom 920T. This turns out to be a mistake. It is fine for navigating to a particular street address most of the time, and I can enter longitude and latitude, but it is quirky about how and when you can find certain waypoints, and its maps for off-road purposes are absolutely abysmal (doesn't even show major bodies of water).

What I'm looking for is a unit that does an adequate job of street navigation, with a decent, easily-searched Point-of-Interest database, that has usable off-road capabilities and maps, and allows long/lat waypoint entry (among other methods). I would prefer a 4.3" wide color screen and the ability to store and play MP3's. Built-in FM transmitter (to play through the car stereo) and Bluetooth phone capability would also be welcome features. Hopefully, it does not need to be waterproof! :ohno01:

Anyone have any experience-borne recommendations?

Are you sure thats all you need? Damn... :D

Here I always thought a map, compass and odometer were suitable tools. Sorry I can't be of more help...

B

Yeah I'm the same way too. I've always thought that mapquest was kind of cheating too.

I had a Garmin i3 until it was stolen a couple of months back. It was on the cheaper end and I dont think you can even buy them anymore. What was nice is that Garmin offers downloadable maps including topographical and park maps. I just happend to get a new Garmin GPS device but I dont remember the number and I haven really used it. But looking through all the manuals it looks updateable like the old one.

yeah, i wandered all over the UP of MI last year with map and compass. no problems but then i know how to use both tools.

i also have a lap top and looking into buying a 'bug' for it but most software kind of sucks. i have DeLorme gazetteer software which is adequate and it is in color. i have seen better topos but not in color and with less info. i am thinking of switching to wireless internet connection too which would help if i want to look at sat pictures while i am wandering about. of course cell coverage will be an issue in many places but no in MI. the whole state is very well covered sans Isle Royale NP.

I would suggest upgrading your stereo to something that is blutooth ready and can play MP3s directly. Then look for a GPS, not a street navigator (Tom Tom), might start by looking into the Garmin GPSMAP series of units.

I'm going to be spending several weeks next month traveling to places I've never been (or at least not for 20 years), off-roading on trails I've never driven in South Dakota, Wyoming, Utah and Colorado. I'm hoping to hook-up with some locals who know the area at each of my stops, but so far I haven't got much response to my inquiries. I've got the Charles Wells books where they are available, which provides waypoints for all the trails he describes. I have also ordered Delorme Atlas & Gazetteers for each state, and the NatGeop Topo Backroads CDs.

But I want to spend my time driving, not orienteering. or playing with a laptop.

I would suggest upgrading your stereo to something that is blutooth ready and can play MP3s directly. Then look for a GPS, not a street navigator (Tom Tom), might start by looking into the Garmin GPSMAP series of units.

I appreciate the suggestion. I was hoping to get a unit that was good at both. I'll be driving around 6,000 miles on-road, and expect to use navigation for that part of the trip. If you've ever gone on long trips, you know the benefit of integrating the MP3 player with the navigation unit, where the single device will pause the music so you can hear nav instructions, as opposed to separate devices fighting for attention. I was hoping to get by with only one device, but it seems I might need two.

But in any event, I am definitely selling the TomTom and looking for a navigation unit that is at least a little better suited for off-road use. I guess nobody has looked at nav units this way, so I'll do some more research.

Thanks for all your suggestions.

MZ WHY ARE YOU YELLING?

Yeah, I have never seen a GPS with all the functions you want... of course I haven't looked... I have a hand held one (Garmin).

I can save way points & routes, download & upload from my laptop, they have software for both city maps, as well as topo maps.

If you've ever gone on long trips, you know the benefit of integrating the MP3 player with the navigation unit, where the single device will pause the music so you can hear nav instructions, as opposed to separate devices fighting for attention. I was hoping to get by with only one device, but it seems I might need two.

I wouldn't want a talking GPS, I get all I need from the screen, not some robot voice talking to me like an idiot. :shrug:

You can probably do an all in one system with a micro-computer and mini-screen. The owner of my company just put one in his experimental airplane he is building. The entire computer is about the size of a standard CDROM drive, and the screen is about 4"x6"x1"thick.

Thanks for all the great suggestions. In regards to the laptop idea, that's how I started out about 10 years ago, with an IBM laptop, a Garmin eMap and Delorme software. But securing the laptop in a viewable location is tough, especially in bright sunshine. I've tried having my passenger (one of my kids) hold the laptop, but they complain after a while that it's hot and uncomfortable. A RAM laptop mount costs around $500 and gets in the way of the passenger all the time. And when driving on-road, well, using a laptop can be downright dangerous.

The idea of custom-building something is interesting, but I don't have the time before this trip (4 weeks from now), and I think that would wind-up costing much more than the solution I've found.

Here is what I learned:

Nissan now makes a portable Navigation unit based on the Garmin nuvi 700-series unit, with an OEM housing that integrates into the dash. The housing replaces the tray (and lid, for newer Pathfinders) on top of the dash, over the radio. The housing can be closed with the GPS installed, hiding everything from thieving eyes. Nissan also sells a customized version of the nuvi 750, but this base model doesn't have bluetooth or traffic updates, and they've mod'd the software to prevent you from operating the GPS while moving (not a good idea, but that's what passengers are for). But any 700-series will fit in the housing/mount, and with a little modification, I'm sure I can hook-up the traffic receiver. The housing is Nissan p/n 999q5-ku001 and I just ordered from my local dealer for $110.

I bought a Garmin nuvi 760 from Best Buy for $349. I'll have to do some minor mod of the GPS mount in the housing to accommodate the 760's traffic receiver (built-in to the power cord), but this should be simple. Garmin sells 1:100,000 topo maps on DVD for the entire US for $116.50, and 1:24,000 maps of US National Parks for the same price per region (East, Central, West). I'm going to order the 1:24,000 maps of US National Parks West, as this will cover 3/4 of the places I'll be visiting.

Here's a picture of the setup from someone else's mod on another forum:

2232427686_f26368e8d4.jpg

Here's a link to the thread describing the install: GPS Mod on TheNewX forum.

This looks like the ideal setup for me. The Garmin 760 has all the on-road features I want (street navigation, mp3 player, bluetooth, fm transmitter to broadcast through the factory radio) plus what seems to be good off-road capabilities.

If anyone's interested, I'll post an update when I'm done.

OK, I got 'er done today. Unfortunately, the camera was on the fritz and I don't have any pix. But the install went just like documented on the TheNewX forum posting I linked to above. The only difference was I had to swap-in my mount and cable to continue to be able to use the traffic receiver. This was fairly easy -- I used a cigarette-lighter extension cable, spliced it into the supplied wiring harness, and then plugged and taped my traffic receiver cable into that and routed it up. The traffic receiver seems to work fine tucked-up under the dash.

The documentation says this will work on any R51 Pathfinder from '05 to current.

Nice!! I'm glad it worked out so easily for you. If you can add a photo or two, we'll add this to the 'How To" list. Can't remember when you leave, but have a GREAT road trip; thats one of my favorite things to do... :beer:

B

let us know how it works off road. Most of those in-car navigation systems are absolutely useless the second you leave the 'road'. I have been eyeing a Garmin 60csx for the last little while. I know you can load topo maps on it which are great for wheeling.