auto trans going out.lost reverse.oh happy day

Ronin

the pathy has been giving me a hard time this year.with only 105k it's a little bit of a shock but she's been a good ride for 10 years.first a miss I can't get worked out and now this.

I have never had any trans problems.she has always shifted good and never gave me any reason to think it was going out but today when I got off of work and put it in reverse and got nothing.it drives fine in all the other gears.I do have a automatic and have always turned off the od when in town.I did have the trans flushed when I first got it over 10 years ago.any help you guys can come up with would be great.I really hate for fork out 2k for a new trans at this time.thanks

the pathy has been giving me a hard time this year.with only 105k it's a little bit of a shock but she's been a good ride for 10 years.first a miss I can't get worked out and now this.

I have never had any trans problems.she has always shifted good and never gave me any reason to think it was going out but today when I got off of work and put it in reverse and got nothing.it drives fine in all the other gears.I do have a automatic and have always turned off the od when in town.I did have the trans flushed when I first got it over 10 years ago.any help you guys can come up with would be great.I really hate for fork out 2k for a new trans at this time.thanks

try doing a tranny flush. works for some including mine. i flushed my tranny 2X after loosing gears 3&4 and it has been holding up for about 10K miles. also change the tranny filter and add some lucas tranny lube in her. i got 1Q of LUCAS tranny oil in mine and it seemed to help even more.

after that if it works or not start looking for another tranny you can rebuild yourself in your spare time or swap a manual into her like ill be doing shortly...

Rich

Do you have an external tranny cooler on it yet? You NEED one. Don't use the stock cooler.

i dont but then again im trying to blow mine up :crossedwires:. gives me a real reason to swap in my manual since i have been putting it off for like 6 months :tonguefinger:

but yea IF you get reverse back put in a big freakin tranny cooler in there and bypass the stock one internal to the radiator....something like 20K GVW is what i was considering untill i lost my mind :crazy::bounce:

My boss has a 95 pathy with 187K on an original auto. He's had a few issues that were fixed by a flush, might want to give 'er a try. He also has an external cooler which probably helps a lot.

My boss has a 95 pathy with 187K on an original auto. He's had a few issues that were fixed by a flush, might want to give 'er a try. He also has an external cooler which probably helps a lot.

My 93 has 337,000km's (around 215k miles) on the original auto, no cooler, just regular maintenance. When I select a gear, its fast and instant, not like my 95 where it takes it's sweet time to find reverse :crazy:

And yes, GET A COOLER. That lucas stuff really works too.

def try the lucas even put in a second bottle i did. I bought my pathy with 204 and the orig trans was slipping esp in 2nd gear the trans cooler was clogged so i have an external one on it and 2 1/2yrs later and 219k on the ticker trans is still fine even with offroad abuse. The second isn't perfect but the rest of the gears are rock solid. The TRICK is unplug the gray plug on the passenge side of the engine above the tire its some sort of pressure resistor for the trans. When unplugged it basically gives the trans all the pressure it can make not regulate it and it helped my truck live on(now that pesky frame rot is a diff story) I know my brothers in laws 93 was unplugged an when his new used trans was installed (350 at a junkyard www.carparts.com) we had to plug it back inas the trans would bang between gears once plugged back together it was fine. mines been unplugged over 2yrs no side effects other then the power button light flashes 8-9 times when the truck is started. I learned this from an old school trans/mechanic that did this same thing on early 90's maximas for years to extend the life on them. Try it out you have nothing to lose only gain reverse!

Scott

Had the same thing happen to me this weekend, went to turn around in a parking lot and when i put it in reverse it just sat there and reved. It's in the tranny shop right now. Will let yall know when i finally hear something.