3rd member diference in 87 auto and 89 manual

okay and if I wanted to switch the whole third member locker and all from the 87 auto to my 89 manual I would have to switch the gears in the front as well? would this be a good move because im gonna go 33 12.5 BGF muds.

If they are both 4.6 (or 4.3) no need to touch the front

if the 87 is 4.3 and the 89 is 4.6 (or vice-versa) yes you will have to either swap gears in the rear or swap the front and back both to keep the gearing matched.

As Greg said check the codes on the plate to see

thanks everyone for the info. i found the plate on the inside fender and the 87 auto and the 89 manual bot have HG43. kinda a bummer cause i thought if the 87 had 4.6s the i could regear my manual to a little better gears but i guess that means the swap is gonna be easier.. thank you again...

btw.. im currently stuck. im trying to take the calmini lift off the 87 and put it on my 89 but i dont know how to take the torsion all the way off...

is says in the how-to to reindex the t-bars but icant seemed to get them off in the front. :( okie dokie.. let me know!

ps i should be putting pics up soon too.

• 4 years later...

is says in the how-to to reindex the t-bars but icant seemed to get them off in the front. :( okie dokie.. let me know!

Mine were an absolute b**** to get off. At least the drivers side one was, I couldn't get it out of the front LCA either. That is, until I had to drop the truck the ground to push it out of the driveway. As soon as the weight of the truck was on the front drivers wheel again, I was able to pull it out one handed.

Others have had luck jacking up the LCA to remove the torison bars, or even loosening the bolts where the t-bar connects to the LCA.

Good luck!

Mine were an absolute b**** to get off. At least the drivers side one was, I couldn't get it out of the front LCA either. That is, until I had to drop the truck the ground to push it out of the driveway. As soon as the weight of the truck was on the front drivers wheel again, I was able to pull it out one handed.

Others have had luck jacking up the LCA to remove the torison bars, or even loosening the bolts where the t-bar connects to the LCA.

My strut rods were the same way, they wouldn't come out without the lca jacked up a little.