stock gear ratio HELP!(tried searching)

I have two pathys one is an 89 3.o manual and one is a 87 automatic. what are the differnce (if any) in gear ratios because my 87 has a rear lock right locker and I want to know if it 1) is it easier to to a axle swap, 2) is it okay to swap the axles, 3) would it be easier to take out the locker out of the 87 auto and put it into my 89 manual 4) is the locker universal to the auto and the manual?

someone knowledgeable please help me!

the problem is i have no clue what im doing. lol. hey, at least im honest.

This information is all over this site, though, admittedly, our search function sucks.

Look at the plate under the hood, on the passenger side, near the firewall.

HG46 = 4.6 gears

HG43 = 4.3 gears

if the gearing is the same then swapping the 3rd member is easiest

in the how to's of the garage is a How to install a locker.

It will fill you in on what is ahead. Not bad at all though, 'cept gear oil smells

Get some PB blaster and start spraying the bolts for the rear sway and 3rd member.

if the gears are not the same... can i still use the same locker?

Yes, the carriers are the same so you can pull the locker out of the one and put it into the other as long as the one you are planning to put it into is not an LSD carrier.

IF you are going to wheel it..... I had an 87 and i drive a 90 . I stripped the 87 for parts. The autos have 4.63 gear ratio and the mans are only 4.37 . I swapped the front and rear into mine . The only thing i had to change was the inner axles on the front so my cv's would bolt up. You shouldn't have to since yours is a 89. Now i have a lowered geared rig that is pretty trail capable on rocks an such .

Once again,

NOT ALWAYS!!! :stickwack:

My 88 is an auto with 4.3s.

Listen to the man, for he speaks the truth!!!!!

I have been searching for a complete rear carrier and front diff with 4.6's for months now and all but one... that's *1* ...auto that I have seen in wrecking yards has had 4.3 gears in it! The one truck that I did find that had 4.6's was at a yard that wanted a combined $550 for the two units and would not budge on the price! :blink:

I told him that they were not gold, turned and walked out :nono:

Listen to the man, for he speaks the truth!!!!!

I have been searching for a complete rear carrier and front diff with 4.6's for months now and all but one... that's *1* ...auto that I have seen in wrecking yards has had 4.3 gears in it! The one truck that I did find that had 4.6's was at a yard that wanted a combined $550 for the two units and would not budge on the price! :blink:

I told him that they were not gold, turned and walked out :nono:

I just swaped out my 4.6's for some 5.14's in my 94 XC. So i have a perfectly good set of front 4.6's sitting in a box in my garage. I also have carrier out of an 88' and the lsd out of my 94 w/ 4.6 gears ( I used the open diff out hte 88 for my lock right). Let me know if you are interested and we can work somthing out. I live in San antonio TX. I will also have a complete front here in a few months when i get my SAS complete. It will be about a week befor I can get back to the net. I work offshore in the gulf.

Edited by goatcola