VQ40 Swap

From what I've heard, there's no way you'd get a swap like that to be CARB legal.

If you're looking into this for the gas mileage aspects, you'd be much better off saving your money for more gas. I'm not one to be opposed to engine swaps, but I am speaking from my personal experiences. When I decided to do the VH45 swap on mine, I thought....hell this engine is ONLY $500! More than $11k later it's drivable and almost done.

Edited by tmorgan4

From what I've heard, there's no way you'd get a swap like that to be CARB legal.

I dont see why not! Import racer people do it all the time!

Some of the rules that i know: engine must be from same year or newer than the car its going in. All smog components must be hookedup and working. All computer and wiring must be accurate in respect to what engine is in the car. The motor cant be stolen and must have a VIN on it somewhere. Then we simply take it into the California Bureau of automotive repair station and get a BAR sticker for the door jamb, then its smoggable!

If you're looking into this for the gas mileage aspects, you'd be much better off saving your money for more gas. I'm not one to be opposed to engine swaps, but I am speaking from my personal experiences. When I decided to do the VH45 swap on mine, I thought....hell this engine is ONLY $500! More than $11k later it's drivable and almost done.

This thread is worthless without pictures!!

Edited by FUELER

Fueler is right. It's legal since it's the same vehicle, newer engine and is still the same number of cynlinders. I don't think the displacement matters, IIRC, but I know that you can't go from a 6 cyl. to an 8 cyl. or from a 4 to 6, etc. I've already researched into this trying to find somethign I could do to improve performance and gas mileage without replacing the rig altogether.

Jarsiff: Absolutely! Along with the headers (if still made if & when I do this) and any other goodies I could add.

tmorgan4: I'd love to hear the details on your swap. I'm sure a VH45 would definitely haul ass though I'm more curious about the problems you encountered. and like fueler said :worthless:

The idea is that this is a long term solution to a vehicle that will someday be a third car/baja toy and that some day gas prices are going to be $6+

For some reason I thought everyone knew what I was up to. I didn't really make a build thread since it would be full of people saying "No, that won't work. It's a unibody!" :stickwack: It's running very good right now but the oil pan is still leaking a lot of oil. I welded a good section of it and the flange warped.

Long story short: I put a VH45 (now a 4.6 liter and 10.6:1 compression) and full hydro in and R50.

It depends on where you live.. Technically its not the same vehicle.. it just has the same name. In utah from what i remember, you can only swap an engine from a newer model vehicle with the same chassis. Meaning if i have a 96 pathy i can only put a VQ35 out of say an 04 pathy in there. Unless you just fake them out and say its a VQ35 and really its a VQ40.. lol

It depends on where you live..

No sh!t! If you live in KY, like my fam, where there are no annual inspections or smog BS to wory about every year then you could do pretty much whatever you want. Hell even in NC if the VIN# is from a '95 or older then it doesn't matter about smog or CARB legal or any of that BS... stupid frivaleous laws!

...stupid frivaleous laws!

Those laws aren't frivolous man. There's a reason people can breathe in LA now. Now, they're poorly written mind you, but I wouldn't call them frivolous.

Whenever I go down to TJ, where no one gives a flying fook about emissions, I can smell when people aren't using cats on their vehicles. Not too mention when stuck in traffic, I can barely breathe.

No one cares what's coming out of the pipes until their air turns brown.