Fuel saving tips

Vertigo

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

a coulpe years ago i went on trip got crap for milage like 400 klm per tank onthe way there, on the way back had more weight but i did have a canoe(20ft) on the roof got 800-900klm per tank it also gave me better get and go :deadhorse:

Conserve momentum. Inflate your tires. Reduce your weight. Accelerate slowly. Use cruise control when possible on flat ground. Do a tune-up. Clean your MAF sensor and throttlebody. All these things can help mileage.

Google "hypermiling" for some more ideas.

Conserve momentum. Inflate your tires. Reduce your weight. Accelerate slowly. Use cruise control when possible on flat ground. Do a tune-up. Clean your MAF sensor and throttlebody. All these things can help mileage.

Google "hypermiling" for some more ideas.

what's cool is that i already drive like that before i even read about hypermiling. it's just common sense to me :tongue:

another thing i do is take corners kinda fast to conserve my momentum/speed. you gotta let off the gas when you come up to the turn, brake a lil bit just before the turn, and accelerate outta the apex. if i can, on a right turn, i'll go really fast and swing out to the farthest lane to the left so that i can keep my speed and not have to slow down just to stay in the farthest lane to the right.

basically drive like a race car driver--efficiently. and by that i mean try to keep your speed (and thus, momentum)

Edited by StatutoryApe

I drive 1100km's a day in a 2006 Toyota Corolla two days per week and one day per week in a 94 Ford Ranger with a 4.0 and here is what I have done to keep my milage at it's peek.

2006 Corolla : 37psi in each tire, new air filter when the old one gets dirty and keep up on the oil changes but when I have hit 53 mpg (Canadian gallon) why would you do much to try and improve it?

Now my Ranger's a little bit of a gas pig like the Pathfinder so heres what I did to change my milage from 24.5 to 27.2 mpg. First I went from 225/70 r14's to 215/75 15's and I run them at 40psi because the less contact with the road the better, then I had the big muffler taken off and replaced by a Blue Bottle but left the cat in. I got ahold of some Taylor Pro Racing wires and Bosch Platinum plugs and a new paper filter. I keep my truck at the speed limit and never slow down on the highway unless I have to. Oh and make sure your fuel filter is new, it helps with power and more efficient power means better mpg.

BUT the biggist thing is make sure your thermostat is good and the rad cap as well, your truck needs to run at the right temp. so the comp. isn't trying to choke it by adding more fuel for a colder engine.

Nobody has mentioned the fact that the engine torque curve in top gear compared with aerodynamics plays a large roll as well. WD's have no aerodynamics, so your ideal RPM's is where your engine has the least stress in the torque curve to move the truck at that momentum. My old Mercedes was designed for the autobahn and its maximum efficiency came at about 80-85 mph, where it was engineered to be in the right spot on the torque curve with respect to its aerodynamics in order to maintain speed with minimum effort. Just figured I would throw that out there.

Driving my Pathy at different highway speeds (everywhere from 75mph to 55 mph) I think we hit that max effectiveness around 65? That's when I'm sitting right on 2500 rpm and she seems to have the least resistance... like the airflow is JUST right to cut as well as that big ole brick front end is going to.

Feel like a 15 year old in a damn coffee shop; chess anyone? I'm smarter than you!

Yeah I banged yer ol' lady... (not directed at anyone just laughin' with ya!-)

Back on subject.

Get a daily driver is best option for a long commute (I squeeze into a corolla for my 70 mile round trip) and then blow all the cash I save on my Pathfinder, and the rest goes on the credit card.

Since the capitalist law of Big Dolla Credit card bills states I don't have to pay it back as the world is going to end in 2012; so I can keep transferring balances for the next 4 years.

Yeah thats what it sounds like...

!-)

heres an easy one , its good for like 1 horspower and helps out on fuel mileage. When you change your spark plugs, make a mark on your extension. when you put your new plug in the socket align your firing contact with that mark. When you install the plug you want the open part of the spark plug facing the combustion chamber. This produces maximum efficiency between the spark , the fuel, and the air. Just an old timers trick i picked up from an engine builder of 50 years . I would say getting a pick of a 3.0 head would help you best on lining it up if you can't tell. I haven't touched my engine yet so i couldn't say exactly how to go on this.

Feel like a 15 year old in a damn coffee shop; chess anyone? I'm smarter than you!

Back on subject.

Get a daily driver is best option for a long commute (I squeeze into a corolla for my 70 mile round trip) and then blow all the cash I save on my Pathfinder, and the rest goes on the credit card.

Since the capitalist law of Big Dolla Credit card bills states I don't have to pay it back as the world is going to end in 2012; so I can keep transferring balances for the next 4 years.

!-)

just wait til inflation kicks in that way the money you pay back to your credit card company isn't worth crap! :tonguefinger:

Back on subject.

!-)

I thought this was actually a good thread really getting into some good topics...tire heat/ friction, aerodynamics, engine torque, we hit on some really important points, and we had some pretty intelligent commentary and views on it all.

I thought this was actually a good thread really getting into some good topics...tire heat/ friction, aerodynamics, engine torque, we hit on some really important points, and we had some pretty intelligent commentary and views on it all.

i actually hadn't heard anything about that aerodynamics issue you brought up before. it makes sense though. good stuff :aok:

Sorry for wizzing in the wind yesterday; got out of a 3 hour meeting, no coffee and a guy that just talked jibberjabber and wasted my entire morning.

(Tractor Shipping Logistics for 3 hours, listening to cost comparisons = grumpy old man (not that old but...)

So I apoligise fer that one (doesn't happen often and you's guys are like extended family (West coast based!-))

Mike

Here's a hard one, I picked up about 2 mpg after I had my Doug Thorleys installed... well actually the first week It went down cause I kept gettin heavy on the gass trying to test 'em out but after learing restraint my higway mpg went up to about 20 (17ish before headders)

check your o2 sensof and your Mass AirFlow sensor too. I think theres a MAF cleaning writeup in the how too section here if its dirty that could hurt your mpg too

Did you keep the rest of the exhaust system stock? I'm in the middle of a manual transmission swap and I just replaced my header seals because they were leaking. I did a much better job this time so they should be leak free. From the o2 sensor back I'm running a 2.25" pipe with no Cat through a Flowmaster Series Muffler.

The best option for saving gas is to not buy gas anymore. Convert you Pathy's to run Liquid Propane Gas (LPG). This is big in Australia:

http://www.pcoa.org.au/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2654&sid=

http://forums.overlander.com.au/viewtopic....558481bca8ed66e

A gallon of LPG is around $2.85

...at least put a high-flow cat on.....they are mostly free flowing.

try to be at least a tiny bit green rather than try to gain .5 to 1 HP

I've given up on being green. Being green is the reason gas costs so much in the first place.

no, BUSH, and all the dumbass morons that do nothing but fight in the middle east and africa are the reasons gas costs so much now....

along with the morons that just use any excuse in the world to raise the price everytime a bullet is fired somewhere over there.....just to protect their overblown investments and line their pockets and bank accounts at our expence.

Not like raising the price is going to magically make more gas or oil appear. Duuuuhhhhhhhhh.... It's all political...... theres loads of oil out there.....no wait, not just politial....but BS too.

will they drill in colorado or thereabouts where there is more oil than anywhere else on the planet?? no....why? politics.......and a few tree huggers.

But I have used high flow cats on my other vehicles and driven those without any cats.....absolutely no difference in performance, with cleaner emissions.

anyhoo.... YAY IT'S FRIDAY!

no, BUSH, and all the dumbass morons that do nothing but fight in the middle east and africa are the reasons gas costs so much now....

along with the morons that just use any excuse in the world to raise the price everytime a bullet is fired somewhere over there.....just to protect their overblown investments and line their pockets and bank accounts at our expence.

Not like raising the price is going to magically make more gas or oil appear. Duuuuhhhhhhhhh.... It's all political...... theres loads of oil out there.....no wait, not just politial....but BS too.

will they drill in colorado or thereabouts where there is more oil than anywhere else on the planet?? no....why? politics.......and a few tree huggers.

But I have used high flow cats on my other vehicles and driven those without any cats.....absolutely no difference in performance, with cleaner emissions.

anyhoo.... YAY IT'S FRIDAY!

let's say you don't take into account the fact that the world's oil supply is decreasing: (we're using it faster than it's being made naturally, therefore it's decreasing)

the demand for oil around the world is growing, and refineries have to match that supply. that means the price goes up.

and despite the fact that oil companies are making a killing off of it (a few of companies are locked into contracts, as far as i know, for $18 a barrel) it's just simple economics.

Satuatory Ape, if it were really that simple...

My solution - tell OPEC either they give us the oil at the price we set, or we bomb their refineries back to the Stone Age and let the rest of the world deal with having no oil.

Why not? The world ALREADY hates America for no good reason (despite the fact that we saved WW1 and 2 in large part w/ the help of our mates in England, that we have won nearly every major conflict we've been in with reason (I'm Excluding 'Nam and Korea cause we had no right to be there) and the fact that we are the ONLY ones with Heavy Lift capacity to put the International Space Station together)... so yeah, let the world hate us. We'll pull ALL our funding towards "external social projects"... wtihin 5 years, half the world will starve to death, the other quarter will blow itself up, and the rest will be begging the US and Briton for help!

....and don't forget how much the Iraq ordeal is costing US, when we shouldn't have gone there in the first place. Govt already admitted all the intelligence on WMD's being there was wrong. But OOPS! oh well....lets get Hussein so we can make it look like we accomplished SOMETHING......duhhhh...it was his country...not ours to govern. Iraq didnt cause 9/11.....Osama and the Taliban did.....where are they still? in Afganistan (a whole different country!)....seems like we just dropped a few bombs in the mountains and then gave up. So this so-called ongoing hopeless war is costing our country trillions thanks to Monkey boys screw ups. Notice how we NEVER hear about the ongoing hunt for Osama anymore?

Meanwhile we still rely on the middle east for their oil while our own refineries cant seem to stay up and running due to "maintennance issues". And the govt. continues to stock pile loads of oil in a safe place for whenever WW3 happens...... well when and if WW3 ever happens....its going to be so nuclear that the planet will be rendered mostly uninhabitable anyway.

Oh and to keep this still somewhat on a Pathfinder fuel saving topic.....avoid being a lead-foot driver....thats the best way to save on gas mileage (but of course, most still feel like they have to be going 85 mph on the highway just because its fun.)