Painting alloy wheels

janolopsen

i´m painting anew my old patty and i´m thinking of covering the fenders with carbon like film to make them appear like if they where of this material as well as the both rearview mirror in front doors and other plastic parts... what do you think... my truck is dark green whith black bumpers

I have also thought of painting the little holes in the four alloy wheels with black paint also after renewing the four of them and making them shine with the original silver color in the plain parts... anyone have done it?

P.S. excuse my english i´m from argentina....

carbon like film is a tiny film some people use to put in their cars they call it here "plottear" for the plotiing machine used in big commercial advertising pictures like those used in buses or cabs... is for covering the original colour... some new beetles and audis A4 in "mate" black are a hit around here mainly with tunners...

carbon like film is a tiny film some people use to put in their cars they call it here "plottear" for the plotiing machine used in big commercial advertising pictures like those used in buses or cabs... is for covering the original colour... some new beetles and audis A4 in "mate" black are a hit around here mainly with tunners...

Gotcha. I didn't think that stuff was meant for exterior applications tho.

i don't think you should have and trouble painting the wheels. They should be sandblasted and sprayed with primer before you paint them for best results. post a picture when you are done!

The film doesn't sound like a bad idea too. The city buses here have the film on them to show advertisements. All i can say, is make sure the paint is very clean before you apply the film. Any oils or dirt on the paint and the film will not stick to it.

mods, since we have a lot of latin users, maybe they would like a spanish forum?

My opinion would be to just repaint the parts rather than throw a vinyl sticker on them.

X2.....id just go ahead and hurculine it. that stuff holds up great and has a semi-gloss finish. im hurcin the sides of my truck within the next couple days to "hide" the fact that i cut my fenders(with a sawzall :tonguefinger:)

as for painting the rims.....i did my $10 powder coating today on my stock leggo rims and they look awesome. i sanded them down, primered them and then spray painted them with a semi-gloss black. they look great IMO as well as to others. ill post some pics up tomorrow so you can get an idea of what your gettin into.

ill post some pics up tomorrow so you can get an idea of what your gettin into.

woww!!!! what a wellcome in mi 2nd post... THANKS A LOT ALL OF YOU NPORA MEMBERS... man i can´t wait to see your photos... my pathy still has for a week in the paint shop to finish the whole body paint job

thanks again!!!!

well heres a couple pics of my rims for you to chew on....sorry about the nightime pics i forgot. ill have the finished product with the sides hurculined up next weekend hopefully.

S6301357.jpg

S6301358.jpg

S6301360.jpg

S6301362.jpg

yep just sanded them down a bit with some 320 grit sandpaper(tedious!!!), laid down about 6 coats of flat black primer, shot em with about 4 coats of semi-gloss high temp spray paint. they dont look to shabby in my opinion. they look even better in daylite.

well heres a couple pics of my rims for you to chew on....

yep just sanded them down a bit with some 320 grit sandpaper(tedious!!!), laid down about 6 coats of flat black primer, shot em with about 4 coats of semi-gloss high temp spray paint. they dont look to shabby in my opinion. they look even better in daylite.

nice work... waiting for some daylight pics...

i´ll show you mine once their are finished....

Gotcha. I didn't think that stuff was meant for exterior applications tho.

How do you think they cover busses?

You could do it, I used to work for a company that did vinyl stickers, and wraps. Make sure you don't use an interior grade vinyl, or you'll be re doing it.