VG33 vs VQ35

vengeful

Having seen the kind of offroading you want out of a rig, I'd choose the Landcruiser or 4runner over an r50. Don't get me wrong, I love my pathy, but I wish it wasn't a unibody. I find it very limiting in what you can do with aftermarket parts, especially given a tight budget.

Sorry to derail the thread ;)

I think the decision between VG33 and VQ35 already assumes you are staying with an R50. If you are really considering a 4Runner or the likes, now that's a totally different question... Truly the possibilities can be expanded with a different platform but it will take some time and research to know the vehicle as well as you already know the R50. Only you can decide if you'd rather stick to something you know well (and know is dependable) vs something with a frame, solid axles, and more aftermarket support.

Now, for the question you originally asked, I'd add another pro to the VQ35: it comes with a newer vehicle (duh). More likely to find lower mileage, no rust, etc etc.

The timing belt on the VG is not a con. Sometimes it's better to have something you need to service than something you don't. The one time I had to put a chain on my old Z24 it was a pain, and this was just a single chain. The belt on my VG was much faster.

Here is some more info about the heater-knob 4x4 that others haven't mentioned.

Remember that the Heater knob 4x4 is only the tip of the ice-berg this will actually give you the ATX14A transfer case which has a lower low than the TX10. The problem is you have to take an auto to get the ATX14A and you will never be able to get gears for the ATX14A. I would dump the ATX14A in my Q for a manual in a hear beat, but it does have it's advantages. The all wheel drive is very nice and the transfer case has been reliable so far.

Hyman wholesale. Lmfao.

Saw that pathy on autotrader two weeks ago. And I thought I was pretty clear on the white on tan, NO Bose changer?

WTF does it matter what stereo is in it? IMHO you're way too picky.

A ) Decide on VQ vs VG

B ) Decide on tranny

C ) Buy the best one of your choice that you can afford.

A stereo is swapped out easily enough. You even have the aftermarket components to do so. :shrug:

Edited by Simon

WTF does it matter what stereo is in it? IMHO you're way too picky.

A ) Decide on VQ vs VG

B ) Decide on tranny

C ) Buy the best one of your choice that you can afford.

A stereo is swapped out easily enough. You even have the aftermarket components to do so. :shrug:

Agreed.

Chris, that's a great looking truck. Wish I were on the market for a new one right now, I'd make the drive up there specifically for that one.

IMHO you're way too picky.

I may very well be too picky. I guess it doesn't really matter what stereo is in it, because there are always aftermarket options, but I'd rather start out with exactly what I want from the beginning.

I'm definitely too picky on condition, but that's something that you have to be too picky on.

I may very well be too picky. I guess it doesn't really matter what stereo is in it, because there are always aftermarket options, but I'd rather start out with exactly what I want from the beginning.

I'm definitely too picky on condition, but that's something that you have to be too picky on.

That I can agree with, especially since you're really not in a rush, you've got a running vehicle....

I just meant that the stereo means squat. Engine, sure. Tranny, sure. Then go from there, and find a good one. :aok:

I started out looking for a 2000-2003 4Runner, found afterward the pathy was very comparable for a lot less money - and that the VQ was on the Wards Top 10 Engine list for several years running (granted I was still find out about the power valve screws).

I also considered a LR Disco, but had a number of people steer me away from due to the replacement part cost. I never did verify that personally, but had enough people tell that it made me wonder - in the end my wife did not like the looks of them so we avoided those. :)

For in town driving I don't notice a difference between 87 octane and 89 in our 2002LE - it runs just fine. The VQ does not require premium fuel, it is only recommended for maximum performance. We run 89 usually.

All mode - I like it a lot, but I don't do off-roading like you are planning. I believe that all-mode vechiles either do not or are highly unlikely to come equipped with a LSD, at least teh LEs don't I believe.

LEs, at least 02+ I think, come with side impact air bags and fog lights and some other crap like leather seats.

Very close Bow...I think that all the LE all mode came lsd...as part of the no slip thoughts they wanted to sell. LE leather should all have side airbags also. Hmm, though I was wrong about the power valves in the manual tranny's.

Dan, have you test drove the VQ pathy's yet? The power is somewhat hidden, you don't realize how much it has on a test drive...but during every day driving...wow.