Voltage regulator

87pathy

Ok, well.. since its last bath (deep water crossing), my pathy runs anywhere from 14V-18+.. depending on the engine RPM. this is easy to diagnose as the voltage regulator. (18 VDC at 3000 rpms)

I have always been under the impression, that the voltage regulator is Internal to the Nissan alternators (mine is an 87 wd21, 3.0L).

However, if you look up voltage regulator for the nissan i have, you can find one. at all parts stores for as little as 13 bucks.

http://www.autozone.com/R,APP203411/vehicl...oductDetail.htm

it looks like it attaches to the back side of the alternator near the wire plug.

Has anybody changed this before? is it easy? i have skills.. kinda

a 13 dollar part is better than a 100 dollar alternator.

Thanks in advance

Edited by 87pathy

Ok, well.. since its last bath (deep water crossing), my pathy runs anywhere from 14V-18+.. depending on the engine RPM. this is easy to diagnose as the voltage regulator. (18 VDC at 3000 rpms)

I have always been under the impression, that the voltage regulator is Internal to the Nissan alternators (mine is an 87 wd21, 3.0L).

However, if you look up voltage regulator for the nissan i have, you can find one. at all parts stores for as little as 13 bucks.

http://www.autozone.com/R,APP203411/vehicl...oductDetail.htm

it looks like it attaches to the back side of the alternator near the wire plug.

Has anybody changed this before? is it easy? i have skills.. kinda

a 13 dollar part is better than a 100 dollar alternator.

Thanks in advance

I think that is the voltage regulator that goes behind the dash instrument cluster. it is for the temp and fuel gauge.

The alternator regulator is integral with the alternator.

not 100% sure on this someone else will chime in if I am wrong

Mark

Edited by msavides

I have had many VR go out in the 87 pathy...If you have the right bits to take the ALT apart you can replace it from what this mechanic told me but my alt was still under warranty so I took it back and got it replaced...now I think it would be completely practical to have an "external" VR but I'm not sure how exactly you would hook it up but to me it seems trivial that it would go between the battery and output post on the alt

I've got the old stock alt from my 87 you can have. You'll need to swap your pulley onto it but it worked when I upgraded. Just remember the favor and it's yours for shipping from 34240 if you want it. I'm pretty busy but I think I'll be mailing some other stuff out tomorrow. Lemmie know tonight. I'll PM my phone #.

I've got the old stock alt from my 87 you can have. You'll need to swap your pulley onto it but it worked when I upgraded. Just remember the favor and it's yours for shipping from 34240 if you want it. I'm pretty busy but I think I'll be mailing some other stuff out tomorrow. Lemmie know tonight. I'll PM my phone #.

whats shipping to 98375?

it its like 20 bucks.. i'll take it