Help, Differential LSD oil and Transfer Fluid issues

DaveEDM

Hi, my truck is 99.5 Pathfinder, 4WD, 3.3L V6, VG33E. Today I changed the front/rear LSD oil and transfer fluid at a garage, the guy changed all fluid with the same oil - Castrol synthetic 75w90 gear oil(GL-5) and told me there is no problem(??). But the service manual says A/T oil is recommended for the transfer case, would it cause any potential transfer case damage if gear oil is used?

He also changed the front differential fluid using half Castrol synthetic 75w90 gear oil and half conventional gear oil, would it be OK? I don't use 4WD mode a lot anyway, If it is OK, I would just leave the front LSD oil as is.

Any advises would be appreciated.

Hi, my truck is 99.5 Pathfinder, 4WD, 3.3L V6, VG33E. Today I changed the front/rear LSD oil and transfer fluid at a garage, the guy changed all fluid with the same oil - Castrol synthetic 75w90 gear oil(GL-5) and told me there is no problem(??). But the service manual says A/T oil is recommended for the transfer case, would it cause any potential transfer case damage if gear oil is used?

He also changed the front differential fluid using half Castrol synthetic 75w90 gear oil and half conventional gear oil, would it be OK? I don't use 4WD mode a lot anyway, If it is OK, I would just leave the front LSD oil as is.

Any advises would be appreciated.

I would change the transfer case oil out to A/T fluid asap. A/T fluid is much different than gear oil and Nissan says A/t fluid so...

I changed my front/rear diffs to Castrol Synthetic 75W90 and it's been fine.

I don't know why he would use half synthetic and half traditional oil for the front diff, should be okay but I wouldn't do it...

I would change the transfer case oil out to A/T fluid asap. A/T fluid is much different than gear oil and Nissan says A/t fluid so...

I changed my front/rear diffs to Castrol Synthetic 75W90 and it's been fine.

I don't know why he would use half synthetic and half traditional oil for the front diff, should be okay but I wouldn't do it...

I show them the manual and they have changed the T/C oil to DEXRON A/T fluid this morning with no charge :itsallgood: . I did not brought enough Castrol Synthetic 75W90 with me yesterday, he suggested just add some traditional gear oil for the front diffential. I think it would be fine as most of the time the front differential gear will not be engaged at RWD mode, please correct me if I'm wrong.

I show them the manual and they have changed the T/C oil to DEXRON A/T fluid this morning with no charge :itsallgood: . I did not brought enough Castrol Synthetic 75W90 with me yesterday, he suggested just add some traditional gear oil for the front diffential. I think it would be fine as most of the time the front differential gear will not be engaged at RWD mode, please correct me if I'm wrong.

That would depend if you have manual hubs or not. As on the r50's they have full time drive splines IIRC, which means your front axle is always turning. Simon knows the correct term.

The front diff always spins even when you are in 2WD. Stock R50's have drive flanges that are always locked, so when you're in motion the CV's turn and the diff spins along with them.

Thanks for that info 88, as I have other 4WD vehicles other than my Pathy, and I have always dismissed the front diffs since they are rarely engaged.

I guess I'll be changing out the gear oil in my pathys front Diffs now pretty soon.

That's only on the 96-up R50 and R51(if I'm not totally mistaken) models. :)

88 is correct. Gear Oil is fine in the T-case.

I have redline in everything...tcase, trans, diffs.. and i see a small mpg increase with no harshness in shifting into 4 wheel.