Couple issues

packie88

okay so was looking at my pathy and what not and when driving it noticed a couple issues.

1.) speedometer not working - i have tried both a new speedometer sensor (the one in the transfer case) and a new instrument cluster and still doesnt work with any combination. and thoughts, could it be the wiring.??? your thoughts

2.) Ive noticed a real lack of the pathy wanting to go between the 2000 and 3000 rpm range. it will get to 2500 and then the tach does not want to go anymnore till i floor it and then it jumps to like 3300 to 3500. its not liking hills either. i turn overdrive off and it still seems sluggish. my thoughts were that the timing could be off just a little. what do you guys think.

okay so was looking at my pathy and what not and when driving it noticed a couple issues.

1.) speedometer not working - i have tried both a new speedometer sensor (the one in the transfer case) and a new instrument cluster and still doesnt work with any combination. and thoughts, could it be the wiring.??? your thoughts

2.) Ive noticed a real lack of the pathy wanting to go between the 2000 and 3000 rpm range. it will get to 2500 and then the tach does not want to go anymnore till i floor it and then it jumps to like 3300 to 3500. its not liking hills either. i turn overdrive off and it still seems sluggish. my thoughts were that the timing could be off just a little. what do you guys think.

I don't know about your speedo, but for number 2, if you're just accelerating normally, like not booking it or granny style, does the tach seem to waver back and forth and "surge" like you can feel it? I don't have trouble with hills but it sounds similar to my problem as it is also in the 2-3k range.

For the record i have changed:

-fuel filter

-air filter

-switched to synthetic oil

-replaced throttle position sensor

-replaced cracked egr tube

-spark plugs are recent

Does it do it all the time? Or just when its cold, or just when its hot? Mine does it only when warm.

red, O2 sensor?

i still don't get it why the speed sensor is in the TC. how would it register anything when not in 4x4? mine is in the rear of the tranny. hmmm

no its not

how can it be? when your in low range, your speedo will be off by a factor of 2.02

your T-case is always working whether its in 2wd or 4wd. its on the output shaft right before the D-shaft connection

tranny-t-case.jpg

Edited by 87pathy

its a picture of an R50 tranny and T-case showing where the speedo connects.

Now, i have to rely on my information on this, as i've never worked on an R50 personally. I got this from a forum showing a auto-manual swap in an R50.

ya, i know he does.. been wheeling with him.

I have one too.. had it out many times.

The plastic gear inside is driven of of the output shaft by a retainer and a ball bearing.

I know in later years they went to the Vss. But couldn't tell you what years.

I can't see squat in those pics..

Edited by 87pathy

those pics (drawings) are of VSS. my 94 has it, i am sure 95 does too. not sure what other years have it also. maybe 93 was the year when they went away from cable driven cluster. they did a lot of changes that year.

for my own knowledge and to clarify this.. i'd like to see a picture of where your speedo enters the Tranny.

the VSS still comes off of the back of the t-case. this has been covered on Pirate4x4 as well, for the doubler. (how to get the speedo back.)

the vss slides in on my truck. there is a little bolt holding it on/in.

well, not that i want to argue (for some reason i thought you had an R50), but that still goes in the back of the T-case.

it goes in the same place as the mechanical.

if your speedo is picked up from the tranny, what happends when you put it in 4lo?.. are you going 20 when your speedo says 40?

If i'm wrong.. please prove it to me.. and i'll eat crow!

Edited by 87pathy