Is my alternator on it's way out?

zack1978

Hey everyone,

I think the alternator in my 1995 SE-V6 is on it's way out. The part has a lifetime warr on it, and it was replaced about two years ago. The reason that I say that it is dying is because the battery light on the dash has come on a few times the last few times that I drove it. The light only comes on for a second or two, and then shuts right off. It has never stayed on for longer than a few seconds. It does not do it often at all. The last time my alt went out, the lights were going dim on occassion, and more dash lights would come on. But now only the battery light? Any ideas?

Thanks,

Zack

have you checked your battery? does the light come on at start up and go off when you start to drive? have you checked your battery cables for damage and corrosion?

have you checked the connections to the alty? maybe something wiggled loose.....

are the lights going dim NOW? or just "before"?

Edited by Slick

on my sons pathy had sim prob check the belts. He had the belts change

and that fixed the problem

Hmmm The fan clutch went bad and it sprayed the fan clutch oil on the engine. Iwonder if that fawked up the belts? I will go to the dealer on MOnday and buy new belts.

Thanks,

Zack

Is the dealer the Nissan dealership? I thought belts were cheaper at the auto parts stores, compared to a dealer.

Yes, I am sure they are cheaper however I usually only use OEM parts. I have always had great luck with the Nissan belts (I think they are made by Bando).

Zack

If the alt goes, i think you get the AT oil temp, battery and brake lights. All that red is sure to catch your attention!

Yes, that is what happend the last time the alt went out, now it's just one light. So I guess the belts then. It is my fault for letting the fan clutch go. I have the new fan clutch, but the shop is super busy.

Zack

If the alt goes, i think you get the AT oil temp, battery and brake lights. All that red is sure to catch your attention!

Yeah mine did that twice both times it was right after I went through a "puddle" that was about 2 foot deep. I've stayed out of the water since, changing it isnt fun. But yours should be ok.

Have you actually tested/had tested, or done ANYTHING yet to confirm that it is, in fact the alternator?? The battery light can come on for many reasons, like have been said: connections, wiring, loose/slipping belt, yes- the alternator itself, and... the battery. Most local auto parts places should be able to test it for free, some with it out of the truck, and many can hook up their machine and run quick tests on your whole charging system while the alternator is still in the rig. Why throw good money at it (especially at the dealer), without actually checking what the problem is?

Edited by Mr. Pickles

• 2 weeks later...

Check yor battery cables, esp. if you're running extra lights, winch, etc. I burned out two alternators due to corrosion in the cables. Because of the corrosion the alt wasn't fully charging the battery, so after a while the extra electrical load in my rig killed the overworked/underpowered stock alternator and the vehicle would just die when the battery ran out. I replaced the first alt thinking that was the problem, but when the second one died six weeks later I started checking the rest of the system.

Check yor battery cables, esp. if you're running extra lights, winch, etc. I burned out two alternators due to corrosion in the cables. Because of the corrosion the alt wasn't fully charging the battery, so after a while the extra electrical load in my rig killed the overworked/underpowered stock alternator and the vehicle would just die when the battery ran out. I replaced the first alt thinking that was the problem, but when the second one died six weeks later I started checking the rest of the system.

I have the same problem. My brake and battery light came on for a few seconds and turned off. I only have this alternator for two years. When the original died all the lights dimmed. Yesterday it did it more when I turned the A/C on. Plus it only happens while the car is moving.

• 1 month later...
Yeah mine did that twice both times it was right after I went through a "puddle" that was about 2 foot deep. I've stayed out of the water since, changing it isnt fun. But yours should be ok.

Same thing happend to me twice as well. Got stuck in deep water for about 10 to 15 minutes till i got pulled out. Probably should have learned my lesson the first time but it was fun. I've owned my pathy for about 8 months now and find it a little under powered when you stomp on it to try and get unstuck and TERRIBLE location for the Alternator if you look at jeeps or 4 runner they are all mounted near the top of the engine WHERE THEY SHOULD BE. anyways i can now change the alternator in my sleep in about 15 to 20 minutes

Yes, I am sure they are cheaper however I usually only use OEM parts. I have always had great luck with the Nissan belts (I think they are made by Bando).

Zack

so, 100% more cost justifies 5% more life?

Just saying.

i wouldnt buy a belt from a nissan dealer.

@!*%, i've only changed mine once in 14 years.

so, 100% more cost justifies 5% more life?

Just saying.

i wouldnt buy a belt from a nissan dealer.

@!*%, i've only changed mine once in 14 years.

I regret not buying the Nissan belts right now. I just replaced all 3 like a month ago and they started squealing on startup a few days later. I figured they were new and that they just needed to stretch. Well I tightened them again 2 weeks ago, and every now and then I get a little squeal at startup. Even the cracked and ratty looking original Nissan ones never squealed this much when they were on.

I bought my alternator/fan and power steering belts at canadian tire. They were made by "Torque".

Funny, no one around had the a/c one so I just went to a farm store and bought a generic 55 inch v belt and that one is fine :shrug: