Flat Towing a Center Diff Equiped Pathfinder

Mecinoid

Hey, do any of you people flat tow your Pathfinder? As in behind a motorhome all four wheels on the ground. Then, the next question is how do you do it if you have auto locking center diff like the 2001 LE Versions? If anyone does this I'd really like to know. I have towed my Pathfinder behind a motorhome but, only on a trailer. I'd like to improve that situation.

Edited by Mecinoid

Your owners manual should tell you, but i suspect that you are going to be having trouble flat towing it. I would say the best bet is trans in neutral and tcase in neutral.

yea what yozsi said...other than that I think the manual says to pull the front driveshaft if you "have" to tow it on all 4 wheels...I think your much better off towing on a 4 wheel off the ground trailer...it saves the tires on the vehicle and wear on your drivetrain...and probably some other things in there as well

ALL MODE doesn't have a neutral setting. Manual doesn't show flat towing a recommended option. It shows, for both Part time and ALL MODE that you have to have all four wheels off the ground when towing. If further goes on to warn you of Transfer case damage if you tow with only front wheels off the ground. You can't even reverse tow it or do a driveline disconnect. REMCO said that a driveline disconnect could be done. However, after putting the Pathfinder on a lift in 2WD and shifting into drive the front tires spin slightly. Therefore there still is some sort of clutches etc.... that remain connected and REMCO then said .... sorry, we can't help you.

I was just wondering if someone found a way around that. That would have been a $2000 solution if it would have worked.

I agree that towing on a trailer is the best option especially if that trailer has brakes on it. I have done that before behind the Motorhome. However, the wife for some reason didn't want to store or try to find a place for the trailer in the campgrounds. She is right it does take so shifting around in campsites etc... Or, It limits us to the pull through sites. I really think it's a storage thing for my wife.

So, I ended up with a '04 JEEP Wrangler that I paid 13K for to tow behind the Motorhome. It's easy to connect and disconnect but, I just thought someone might have figured out a way to flat tow our Pathfinders.

I think that's why you don't see any of our Pathy's behind Motorhomes going down the road.

Thx for the replies ..... AJ

Edited by Mecinoid

Only way would be to completely disconnect, as in unbolt, the drivelines at the front and at the rear differentials.

I understand unbolting the driveshafts would work. If I was flat towing it across country once in it's life etc... that would work. But, I want to use this behind my motorhome a couple times a month. It would get really old crawling under there every time I wanted to use the Pathfinder on my trips. That would be about 5-6 connects and disconnects on a weekend as we like to hop from one place to another and take the Motorhome with us.

The front driveline disconnect is the issue I think. Remco has a rear disconnect system. But, no one makes a front disconnect for them as far as I know. It doesn't really look there is room for one. It's pretty close up front there. I wish Remco was around the corner from me so we could come up with something.

The object is to be able to pull a lever (or two) for the disconnects and still keep the strength for off roading. The rear isn't a problem the front is the issue I think. I'd like to figure this out so that I can sell my JEEP and get back that $13K invested, free up the insurance $'s, reg costs and storage space.

We were going to just tow the F100 with driveline disconnect, but since have killed that idea due to motor rebuild, lack of 4WD and AC on her. Wife has allergies and asthma so that means AC with recycle mode is a must especially in the spring.

1114071016a.jpg

Edited by Mecinoid

I do not do any towing, but what about getting a set of warn manual hubs up front and unlocking them when you flat tow it? then when you want to drive it lock them back up (and they will act like your current drive flanges)....maybe im wrong or missing something here?

Most people I know would take their trailer to an "auto" parking lot and unload it there and put a lock (one with the short bar so it's a lot harder to cut) and leave it there if they were going to be there for a good amount of time

and a side note does your motorhome happen to have a Freightliner chassis under it? Just curious b/c I used to work at Freightliner Custom Chassis and worked on the B2 schoolbus with is another chassis that comes out of the plant there and got to check out some of the things on our RV chassis' but never got to work on them except for design reviews on 2007 emissions