’96 Pathfinder AT wheels and tire choices

96thumper

1st post! Hello :puterpunch:

Right now my PF is running stock wheels. I believe they are 15x7 but I don’t know the offset. Anyway I’m considering aftermarket steel wheels (plain black powdercoat) and AT tires (likely BFG AT KO). I don’t ever plan to lift the PF but want an aggressive look without going silly.

Is 30x9.5x15 the best tire size to get in this case?

What size rim (15x7 or 15x8) should I get and what offset is needed?

Thanks!!

Edited by 96thumper

I ran the 31x10.5 MFG MTs (the same tires I run now with the 2" lift) on stock & aftermarket rims (15x8 black rock crawlers) before I lifted it without any problems

I don't suppose you have a picture of what it looked like? No rubbing issues?

Do you remember the wheel offset?

Does anyone know the offset for the factory OEM SE wheels?

Edited by 96thumper

You can fit 31x10.50R15's on the factory SE wheels (which are 15x7). If you want to install larger tires, you'll need 15x8's with 0 to -19mm offset.

Well, I was looking at these wheels...http://www.procomptires.com/series97.htm

15x7 / 15x8 has two offset choices (3.75" & 4.5")

Would one of these work?

I don't suppose you have a picture of what it looked like? No rubbing issues?

Do you remember the wheel offset?

Does anyone know the offset for the factory OEM SE wheels?

Since Dean already got the offset issue I'll post a couple of pics before the lift.

IMG_0294.jpg

Stock SE rims but I cut a lot off of my bumper (not a rubbing issue though)

IMG_0175.jpg

IMG_0174.jpg

Here it is before I cut the bumper up

IMG_0117-1.jpg

IMG_0116.jpg

And even crawling up a little hill there were no rubbing issues

IMG_0170.jpg

Edited by Fukinitupagain

Well, I was looking at these wheels...http://www.procomptires.com/series97.htm

15x7 / 15x8 has two offset choices (3.75" & 4.5")

Would one of these work?

Go with the 3.75" BS otherwise you'll probably have a bit of rubbing with the 4.5" BS

Ok, I think I understand a little better. :coffee!:

-The 15x7 wheel is available in two backspaces (3.75” & 4.5”)

--The centerline of the wheel is 3.5”

---The 3.75” backspace has an offset of 6.35mm and the 4.5” backspace has an offset of 25.4mm

-The 15x8 wheel is also available in two backspaces (3.75” & 4.5”)

--The centerline of the wheel is 4”

---The 3.75” backspace has an offset of -6.35mm and the 4.5” backspace has an offset of 12.7mm

Does that sound right? Am I correct to assume that the only wheel that would work is the 15x8 with a backspace of 3.75”?

Ok, I think I understand a little better. :coffee!:

-The 15x7 wheel is available in two backspaces (3.75” & 4.5”)

--The centerline of the wheel is 3.5”

---The 3.75” backspace has an offset of 6.35mm and the 4.5” backspace has an offset of 25.4mm

-The 15x8 wheel is also available in two backspaces (3.75” & 4.5”)

--The centerline of the wheel is 4”

---The 3.75” backspace has an offset of -6.35mm and the 4.5” backspace has an offset of 12.7mm

Does that sound right? Am I correct to assume that the only wheel that would work is the 15x8 with a backspace of 3.75”?

If you get 15x8's you MUST get a wheel with 0 or negative offset, or large tires will rub the strut lower perch. With 15x7's the largest tire that's recommended is a 31x1050R15. Tires larger than that will have excessive sidewall bulge as well, which isn't so great for handling and tire wear.

When I swapped out my stock wheels and tires, I chose 15x8's with 31x1050's because I knew I would eventually fit 32" or larger tires, and I didn't want to have to buy new wheels again.

Fukinitupagain...nice ride!!!

I'm thinking I might go with BFG 30x9.5x15 AT KO tires. Looks like the 31" might be a bit large for what I plan on doing. I don't suppose anyone has a picture of how that looks with OEM wheels and stock suspension? Would these tires look smaller than the factory size 265/70R15 tires? I think those are a bit wider.

I love the look of Fukinitupagain's truck but the lady has to drive this also. It might scare her. lol

Fukinitupagain...nice ride!!!

I'm thinking I might go with BFG 30x9.5x15 AT KO tires. Looks like the 31" might be a bit large for what I plan on doing. I don't suppose anyone has a picture of how that looks with OEM wheels and stock suspension? Would these tires look smaller than the factory size 265/70R15 tires? I think those are a bit wider.

I love the look of Fukinitupagain's truck but the lady has to drive this also. It might scare her. lol

Don't go with 30x9.50's. You're better off with 265/70's. This is a pic of 31" tires (on aftermarket wheels) with stock suspension on a 97 LE:

before.jpg

Edited by XPLORx4

Don't go with 30x9.50's. You're better off with 265/70's. This is a pic of 31" tires (on aftermarket wheels) with stock suspension on a 97 LE:

before.jpg

What's wrong with 30x9.50's? Mine had them when I bought it, and the only way I can get BFG A/T's is 30x9.50, they don't make it in the stock size for a 97 SE

My wife drives mine when her POS Sentra breaks down. Plus with mine I didn't so much go for any kinda look it was more about being functional on & offroad for me.

But look at Deans ride before the "transformation" Who would've thought that would become a rock crawling machine?

Edited by Fukinitupagain

Let's say I went for the stock tire size. Are there any good options out there?

What's wrong with 30x9.50's?

IMO, they look too skinny and don't fill the wheel well enough for my taste, but if you don't do a lot of off-road travel, then they're OK. 30x9.50R15 is the size I replaced my factory 235/70R15 tires with, but when they wore out, I got bigger wheels and a set of 31" Yokohama Geolandar AT's, which lasted about 20K miles. After that I got 31" BFG AT's, which lasted about 40K miles.

Edited by XPLORx4

I stuck 31's on mine with the stock SE rims. The clearance between the the tire and the spring makes me a little nervous (about 2"), but I will be lifting it soon.

Huh? Lifting it won't increase the clearance between the tire and the spring. That's purely a function of tire size, wheel width and wheel offset. Since gap between the spring and tire shoulder never changes as the suspension moves, 2" is more than enough clearance.

Huh? Lifting it won't increase the clearance between the tire and the spring. That's purely a function of tire size, wheel width and wheel offset. Since gap between the spring and tire shoulder never changes as the suspension moves, 2" is more than enough clearance.

Yep. Pezzy's got less clearance than that with her lift, and the 31's she's running. Not a problem at all, as that distance never changes. 1/2" is PLENTY there.

Can you fit BFG 32" ATs 10.5 wide on stock 97 LE rims? I'm getting a lift but will the tire fit on the rims, and not rub on anything else?

No. Stock LE rims (the fancy spoke station-wagon-style wheels) are 15x6.5", so the widest tire that you should try putting on is 30x9.50 because of the wheel width. It's safer to get a 15x7 for up to 31x10.50R15 tires or a 15x8 for up to 33" tires, although 32x11.50R15 is the practical largest size you can fit in the wheel wells anyway.

So it sounds like for a stock height ’96 SE the best tire size to get is 31x10.50R15 right? No rubbing or driving issues at all? I was thinking the 30x9.50R15 might get better fuel economy due to the decreased contact patch. Opinions?

So it sounds like for a stock height ’96 SE the best tire size to get is 31x10.50R15 right? No rubbing or driving issues at all? I was thinking the 30x9.50R15 might get better fuel economy due to the decreased contact patch. Opinions?

Yes, that's right. And yes, 30" tires will get better economy due to smaller contact patch (and therefore lower rolling resistance) and smaller diameter that closely matches the factory gearing. But if fuel economy is your goal, you should stick with 265/70R15 (factory size) or go with a 265/75R15 tire rather than a 30x9.50 if you can find your preferred tire model in that size, because the 265/75 tire is a bit wider than a 30x9.50, but not quite as tall as a 31x10.50

I'll look around for tires. I was hoping to get BFG AT KO tires because I had those on my Jeep and loved them. I don't do any hardcore offroad driving though so these are probably overkill. Any opinions out there as to a nice all-season tire for these rigs that will allow me to do some offroad stuff (just trails) also? Must be great for rain and snow since I live in the Seattle area. :)

Also, I need new struts & shocks. I was going to buy the KYB GR2 units but it says not for vehicles with the adjustable suspension. I have the adjustable suspension but don't care to keep that feature. Will these KYB units work or am I stuck with OEM units? Thanks!!

I have Michelin Cross countrys in the stock size and they do great on snowy roads, great on dirt trails, not so great in mud or deep snow on trails... But if you want a not too exspensive tire that has good tread life and is good for occasional offroading, there hard to beat.

I'll look around for tires. I was hoping to get BFG AT KO tires because I had those on my Jeep and loved them. I don't do any hardcore offroad driving though so these are probably overkill. Any opinions out there as to a nice all-season tire for these rigs that will allow me to do some offroad stuff (just trails) also? Must be great for rain and snow since I live in the Seattle area. :)

Also, I need new struts & shocks. I was going to buy the KYB GR2 units but it says not for vehicles with the adjustable suspension. I have the adjustable suspension but don't care to keep that feature. Will these KYB units work or am I stuck with OEM units? Thanks!!

I like BFG AT KOs but if all-terrain tires were in my future, I would strongly consider Bridgestone Dueler AT Revos or even the Wrangler SilentArmors.

And yes, if you do get the GR2's you lose the "adjustable" suspension feature, but as far as I can tell, that feature proved to be worthless, since it was discontinued after '96. All it means is that the GR2's don't have the [apparently worthless] ability to be valved differently depending on the position of a switch on the dash.