How much life left in my pathy?

falconer

Been quite a while since i was on these forums but i've been lurking quite a bit recently with my pathy having some troubles. It's currently getting a tune up + timing belt, but the compression was only 75, i think it's supposed to be 125ish? I was told the low compression was most likely due to weak piston rings, which i don't have the money to fix at the moment.

Its a 94' 4x4 5spd with 171,000 miles, any idea if it'll keep on chugging with the low compression or should i expect it to kick the bucket soon?

Thanks

Edited by falconer

Been quite a while since i was on these forums but i've been lurking quite a bit recently with my pathy having some troubles. It's currently getting a tune up + timing belt, but the compression was only 75, i think it's supposed to be 125ish? I was told the low compression was most likely due to weak piston rings, which i don't have the money to fix at the moment.

Its a 94' 4x4 5spd with 171,000 miles, any idea if it'll keep on chugging with the low compression or should i expect it to kick the bucket soon?

Thanks

it'll keep chuggin along, just less power and more gas....... lemme ask ya. were ALL the cylinders @ 75? or just the 1? what were the other readings?

i found low compression in 2 cylinders on mini me.. 18 months later she puked a head gasket..... drove her 3 more months like that til i could afford to fix er right.

this is taken from my thread about my blown HG.... ~> http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=4410&hl=

OK. Drained all the oil out, and there was not so much as a spot of water in the oil. PHEW.

went down, bought good compression tester, and here are the results. Bear in mind, there was no oil in the truck, and I did not get it to working temp b 4 we did this test. (already took all the belts off in prep for new h2o pump and t-belt)

#1 151

#2 151

#3 181

#4 152

#5 182

#6 181

BWT, nice to see you back on the forums falconer. just bad circumstances :beer:

Edited by Slick

it'll keep chuggin along, just less power and more gas....... lemme ask ya. were ALL the cylinders @ 75? or just the 1? what were the other readings?

i found low compression in 2 cylinders on mini me.. 18 months later she puked a head gasket..... drove her 3 more months like that til i could afford to fix er right.

this is taken from my thread about my blown HG.... ~> http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=4410&hl=

OK. Drained all the oil out, and there was not so much as a spot of water in the oil. PHEW.

went down, bought good compression tester, and here are the results. Bear in mind, there was no oil in the truck, and I did not get it to working temp b 4 we did this test. (already took all the belts off in prep for new h2o pump and t-belt)

#1 151

#2 151

#3 181

#4 152

#5 182

#6 181

BWT, nice to see you back on the forums falconer. just bad circumstances :beer:

I'm assuming that was all the cylinders, i didn't ask, as like i said i am pretty stupid when it comes to the engine. Easy stuff i can take care of [oil, intakes, etc] but anything taking the engine apart and i turn it over to people who should know what their doing or I'll watch someone else do it first.

Surprisingly, i have been getting almost 20mpg in my pathy, even with the compression and needing a tune up. The power thing kind of bites me in the ass and thats why i took it in in the first place, i wasn't able to maintain speed up hills like i used to be able to, but as long as the truck keeps plugging along than i'll be happy. I'm in college and broke so i need it to keep going for a good while longer.

I sure hope so! I spend A LOT of time in the desert hunting and when i want to go home...i want to go home LOL

I must say my pathy has gotten through a lot of crap i never expected it to...esp when it comes to muddy river washes and sand. If only i weren't broke so i could give it the new engine+trans+lift+33's it deserves :aok:

Never any guarantees in life, but if there is ANY engine that will keep on keepin' on, it is the VG30!

Still getting 20 mpg is a good sign! How much oil is she consuming?

I'm assuming that was all the cylinders, i didn't ask

You didnt ask which cylinders were low on compression? Are you sure your mechanic isnt trying to rip you off for an engine rebuild? Take it home and check the compression yourself.

how are you getting 20mpg on a pathy? thats pretty incredible. I get about 14-16. I think they are epa rated at 14-17mpg

yeh how do you do It? Gas prices are goin up, and I wanna know! I don't even think the 4 banger paths got that

yeh how do you do It? Gas prices are goin up, and I wanna know! I don't even think the 4 banger paths got that

Its all in how you drive it. I can get 20mpg too, but usually im in a hurry so.... 18 it is.

they used to be rated 15city 18 hwy but now the new epa specs put them at 14city 17 hwy. But i only get 14 if im using 4wd in a snowstorm

Edited by redfinder

I don't drive fast due to a few "reminders" of what the speed limit is when i used to have a car, and i also do mostly highway driving on the way to/from my hunting fields. I also don't use AC or heat unless i really have to.

The mechanic is a personal friend, i don't think he is trying to screw me over, he told me he wouldn't bother replacing the piston rings because it's not really worth the money to do a rebuild.

• 3 weeks later...
Whats this 'compression' test you guys talking about? Where and how can I do one, and what is the cost for that? I want one now :(

you can do one yourself with a gauge you can rent from autozone and a couple of hours on a weekend..... yo don't have to be a great mechanic to do one.....

get a haynes manual or FSM. or check out the garage, a few of us have done em

Edited by Slick

Whats this 'compression' test you guys talking about? Where and how can I do one, and what is the cost for that? I want one now :(

Real simple, just get the gauge... plug it into your sparkplug hole.. turn it over a couple times till the needle reads the highest number (have your buddy or you read it while one turns it over) and presto, go to the other spark plug hole... :handlebars:

I loved autoshop :crossedwires:

Edited by Nissyota88