K&N Cone Air Intake Kit

Kittamaru

Summit racing has me highly confused... I searched my model and year, and got no hits. Trying it by manufacturer (K&N), Pathfinder, and SEV6, I got three options... but they all look like they'd mount wrong.

Can someone clarify the cone air intake kit I'd need to use? This is what I got it down to, but they look weird to me *shrugs*

The Air Filters In Question

Thanks yall!

damn those are expensive!! and a lot of times the picture doesn't match the actual product.

its just to give the buyer the idea of what it looks like.

im not sure about pathfinders, but best deal for my honda was a generic pipe and apex'i filter.

Yikes I'd never pay that much ....sometimes I think K&N stuff is a bit overpriced.....

For my 1990, I was able to just order the conefilter and adapter so it just bolted directly to the MAF sensor housing, and then it was just a support rod to hold it in place.

They dont make anything for the older models that I have ever been able to find other than what I got, which was years ago and now I dont remember who makes it....It's not a K&N brand, but its the

exact same make-up.....I paid about $75.00 I think for it.

I'll try to find the same place that I got mine from....as you can see, it just simply attaches to the MAF housing...simple as that....no need to replace the air tube and custom fit anything else...unless you really wanted to fabricate something up which I think other folks have done.

-Chris

update...well I finally found the place where I got mine.... 4x4 parts .....this link should take you right to it.......

www.4x4parts.com/public_html/shop/index.php3?page=shop/flypage&product_id=5&category_id=b1266448471e3ff4388f53a3045e60f4&ps_session=1cbe9cf2cd4c3709f3d2c0aa39adc9db

if the link doesnt work...the site is www.4x4parts.com

its actually listed for $119.00 not $75'ish like I thought....I just couldn't remember... -Chris

post-309-1205326880_thumb.jpg

post-309-1205326928_thumb.jpg

Edited by Chriskaw440

Yeah, AC sells that MAF adaptor. A few people have used ones made for an Altima, can find them cheap on E-Bay, you just need to drill for 2 of the mount holes that are different on our's. I used a generic adapter made by Spectre Performance (was like $10) that I had to drill 2 new holes and seal up 2 of the holes it originally had in order to mount it.

• 4 months later...

I have fabricated an adapter plate, out of some scrap metal, and am currently working on a few sections that will "seal" with the hood when closed....to literally enhance the "cold air" effect...by not sucking in HOT engine bay air as with just mounting the conical filter to the MAF. Sort of sectioning the area where my filter is off from the rest of the engine compartment...I have even thought about putting a forward facing vent in the top side of my hood to sort of force air into the area where the filter now resides...

Stupid question... are these cone air intakes really that much more effective than your standard air intake box?

And I'm assuming if I go with a cone (running a K&N drop in filter atm) I can completely remove the airbox, right?

Yes and yes. However, if you wheel it, a cone type filter is not the best choice in really dusty, or very wet conditions.

If it's a Mallfinder the Cone is awesome; if you wheel it get (or make) a snorkel.

As the intake hole is enlarged to add the snorkel; so more in... more out.

Just my half cent... and teasin' about mallcrawlin!-)

Stupid question... are these cone air intakes really that much more effective than your standard air intake box?

And I'm assuming if I go with a cone (running a K&N drop in filter atm) I can completely remove the airbox, right?

mine made a nice improvement in throttle response, and it even sounds better since you get some of the engine 'growl' when you get on the gas

it certainly helped my engine to breathe better. I always thought it felt like it was struggling for air with that stock airbox and little panel filter...even when I put a K&N stock fit replacement

filter in it. I wasnt happy with it so I found the cone filter and yanked all that stock junk out. I would like to fashion a plate that will seperate from the rest of the engine compartment

(so it wont be sucking in all the hot air in the engine compartment...eventhough that is mostly the case when sitting still idling since Im sure theres plenty of fresh outside air flowing through the grill at

highway speeds) .....someday but its way down on my list of things to do.

(heres my 'before' photo that should have been included with my earlier post above.....)

post-309-1216395050_thumb.jpg

Edited by Chriskaw440

Yes and yes. However, if you wheel it, a cone type filter is not the best choice in really dusty, or very wet conditions.

X2 with what Simon is saying. I had a cone filter on my pathfinder. It was nice but I then got this job where I was traveling off-road alot to oil rig sites. Most oil rig sites are extremely dusty or "caliche" roads as they call them down in Texas. So I found myself cleaning my K&N at the end of every well or every couple of weeks. I let it go one time because I hears somewhere that the dirtier it gets the better it keeps dirt out. Well when I took it off to clean it there was dust in the housing that the MAF sits in. BAd idea.

I'm partially tempted to do a dual snorkel setup with dual airboxes / plate filters. It'd give good filtration but increase airflow... right?

The problem is that it all funnels down to the size of the butterfly/intake. So if you run 2 snorkels at 3 inch a piece, and the intake is only 2.5 inches...

The filters would not have to be serviced for a longer duration, which in itself could be a plus if the climate and conditions were dusty and such.

I used a dewalt grinder box, modified to hold a K&N cone truck filter on the roof of my XJ. I had baffles installed to keep water out, worked great. Filter stayed relatively clean, and when going about 55mph it kinda forced a bit of air into the box...seemed to show some improved throttle response.