Dead Pathfinder

rennwerkes

Okay, last time it was a clutch safety switch that wasn't being actuated enough that prevented my 1991 Pathfinder from starting.

This time I have no idea what's going on.

Tried to jump start it to no avail.

Battery is good and holding a charge.

Ran fine and started fine last night but tried to start her up today and starter won't even turn over.

Any idea's?

TIA!

Okay, last time it was a clutch safety switch that wasn't being actuated enough that prevented my 1991 Pathfinder from starting.

Ran fine and started fine last night but tried to start her up today and starter won't even turn over.

Any idea's?

TIA!

It sounds silly, but have you checked the cable connections at the post, a few things might have happened:

1. The cable connections have worked loose.

2. Corrosion has prevented a good connection, even though the battery is showing a full charge.

3. One of your cables has suffered damage, one time I had a sports car and a cable that was not in plain view was cut and connecting once and a

making the problem difficult to diagnose.

Good luck!!

Boot :crossedwires:

It sounds silly, but have you checked the cable connections at the post, a few things might have happened:

1. The cable connections have worked loose.

2. Corrosion has prevented a good connection, even though the battery is showing a full charge.

3. One of your cables has suffered damage, one time I had a sports car and a cable that was not in plain view was cut and connecting once and a

making the problem difficult to diagnose.

Good luck!!

Boot :crossedwires:

Nothing is every silly when it comes to diagnosing a problem!:)

Yup, I checked the battery. In fact, I pulled it, topped up all the fluid and charged it a bit but to no avail.

I'm going to check my connections to the starter and everything else.

I"m hoping it's just the safety switch that the clutch pedal activates.

Thanks!

I"m hoping it's just the safety switch that the clutch pedal activates.

Thanks!

If it is, just splice the wires together and remeber you did. Mine's been that way for years and I still push the clutch in every time I start it so it's no big deal. Plus you have the option of moving it with the starter if you need to. I was parked in someone's reserved space while warming mine up one day when the fuel pump went out. It was on an incline so there was no way I'd be able to push it, so I put it in gear and "drove" on the starter to another spot.

If it is, just splice the wires together and remeber you did. Mine's been that way for years and I still push the clutch in every time I start it so it's no big deal. Plus you have the option of moving it with the starter if you need to. I was parked in someone's reserved space while warming mine up one day when the fuel pump went out. It was on an incline so there was no way I'd be able to push it, so I put it in gear and "drove" on the starter to another spot.

Yep. I had to do that in my dads old Landcruiser, 30km in the bush on a road not big enough to turn around, when the slave cylinder went. Power shifting, into 1st gear so it would be slow enough to turn around at the next wide spot... wasnt wide enough and it stalled. Had to drive "on the starter" for about 20 feet thru a ditch and up onto the road, and winch through occasionally.

I bought my Pathy with that clutch switch disabled. It's handy sometimes, reach thru the window and start it, when you're tuning the engine.

Any idea's?

TIA!

You should have an interlock button on the dash that bypasses the clutch safety switch. I guess you problem could be in that switch as well. I bypassed clutch switch to install a remote starter in my pathfinder, It does not bother me not having the switch in because every manual transmission car I have ever owned never had one, so I am used to there not being one there.

Mark

tsk tsk jj, bad on the starter motor and battery I'd bet, but when ya gotta do it :D

Least you know the truck can handle it :)

see my above post.

Nissan intended that use of the starter for that reason they installed a interlock button. only for emergency use.

mark

see my above post.

Nissan intended that use of the starter for that reason they installed a interlock button. only for emergency use.

mark

Mark,

Forgive my ignorance but where is this switch? I've never noticed it before.

Thanks,

Dean

NOt all WD21's had it. My old one didn't. I think it was more common on the earlier models.

I noticed he had a 1991 mine is also a 1991. mine is also and SE not sure if it made a difference weather it was of SE or XE but maybe.

It should be (if you have it) to the right of the steering wheel

it looks like this

post-3095-1205270843_thumb.jpg